WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
1461320e5jgojtbn9.gif 1884975rxg0f68m70.gif
2157045gp85zev8ri.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Welcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

:flowerforyou: I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for May?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for June?

:bigsmile: Please sign your posts with your name (or alias) and your location so we can get to know each other better.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

May Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*brush the dogs’ teeth once a week or more (only once)
*yoga once a week (only once)
*plank twice a week (successful with planks increasing from 2 ½ to 3 minutes
*finish updating “important personal information” document (some roadblocks to this, but I made significant progress)

June Resolutions
I was so supremely unsuccessful in May that I’ll use the same resolutions for June
"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the new thread, Barbie. I graded myself on the May goals on the previous thread. Here are my new /old/traditional goals for June: (Don't laugh because they're always the same. These work for me.):wink::laugh:

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,085 Member
    Options
    June will be here soon! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lin in Central Iowa :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, June already!!

Walk 100mi this month.
    Be present and record everything I eat.

Patsy
    Lutz FL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: June will be an interesting month for me as DD is expecting her baby boy#2. My goals for June is to help her and continue to be mindful of what I consume.

I have not experienced anymore weight loss in the last 2 months, but have maintained where I am at and actually I am looking and feeling pretty darn good. Not a bad place to be.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks!Barbie
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you Barbie for keeping us together.

I have fallen into a rut and am digging myself out, changed my ticker to where I am back at the start, with a new month hope I can
    get myself together, small goals log and drink my water
    fell last week hurt my good and bad knee as well as my elbow, have started back with walking routine slowly

welcome to all our newcomers

prayers going to all in need

good luck to all for a new month ahead

juanita in sudbury
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Well I have 4 more hours until June... but am ready :smile:

Carol – I guess I missed part of this… are you remodeling to sell? Or just to enjoy? And if you are selling where are you going – how can I be so clueless? Sorry!!! My mom re-did her bathroom which was pink and gold to grey, black and white… it is a nice combo. :wink:

Meg – sounds like a great day.

Sylvia – love the happy cows…

Pat – glad DH is home, so did his heart slow down on it’s own, or is he home with a fast heart?

Katla – shrimp etoufee sounds good :drinker:

Renny – that is great, I think Heather posted about picking a weight goal that was the one you could successfully maintain; not just the lowest you could go. Maybe you are close to the maintainable weight.

Got a decent amount done today, got back in our 2 walk a day routine, tonight is my time with the information on our primary election it is on June 3rd... and I have just piled up all the mail that has come saying vote this way or that way -- what cracks me up the most is one guy is claiming he is the most environmentally friendly, and his pile of glossy paper, 4 color flyers is at least twice as high as the other guy; you could believe him more if all his stuff was on recycled paper with soy ink... but not...

Had lots of left over fish last night so made fish tacos for dinner tonight, when I went to the store for tortillas, I read all the lables and decided on the ones that were not the lowest in calories but were on sale because they were `1/2 the price of the others... so log it in and the mfp log says a serving is 2 tortillas...hmmmm I go back and look and sure enough! I missed that somehow when I was label reading so they were cheap in calories and $$ :laugh: :laugh:

FINALLY my wished for NSV - saw a neighbor at the market that I have not seen in 6+ months she works graveyard shift (8pm -5am) so our timing is rarely the same... any way she did not recognize me, at first- and then keep looking me over :laugh: and saying how good I looked!!! left the market on cloud 9:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

my May goals were
    log everyday - missed 1/2 of a day - but I consider that a success
    find a new exercise - barely tried

June goals
    log everyday
    try a new exercise 2 times

happy sunday, happy june -

Kim in N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did about 45 minutes of the Supreme 90 Day Challenge DVD. Had to do two DVD's one for the core which was about 20 minutes long (I was suprised that they didn't do something for the back) and another one chest and back which was about 25 minutes long. Tomorrow I'm planning to ride the recumbant bike that we have. I'm HOPING to have time to read the directions to find out how you can use the preprograms. Update: never had time to get to that.

After exercising this morning went to WalMart to get a few things. Vince needed milk for one thing. I wanted to get more of this South Beach Diet smoothie. It uses stevia for the sweetener, plus I had two $2 coupons that expired today, so I had to use them.

Did a bit of work outside today, put down landscape fabric and then some of the rock just by three of the lights. Then finished putting in the rest of the border, then the wire for the lights. So now they're all hooked up. Then went in the pool (yes, I wore my sunscreen). Will go to church in a bit then going to go over to see friends of ours. Her hubby had a heart cath the other day and I know that she has great difficulty getting around. Not sure if they still have their dog at the daycare since she can't walk it. They're the people I told you about that had us over and I helped out a lot with serving, cooking, etc since her husband can't do everything. Update: they have the dog at their home. She had strawberry shortcakes but I just asked for just strawberries. Had water to drink

Marti - happy birthday

katla - I just hate it when I have to rip something out and then re crochet it. Sometimes you wouldn't see it, but I would know it's there so I'd rip it out

Cynthia - what kind of treatment did they give your horse?

DeeDee - everything sounds so lovely!

Margaret - what a lovely thought to make those doves hanging from the tree. When Bryan was in elementary school, a girl in his class was beaten to death. they planted an evergreen tree in her memory, a tree that will never die.

Vicki - those parents who are doling out all that money for the cart races for their kids are probably hoping their kid is the next Jeff Gordon. Of course, that might mean that they'd have to move (like his parents did)

jane - good thoughts being sent your way. Maybe your daughter is wrong and she's just late?

Joyce - SloMag is now kept behind the counter? I remember buying it for MIL and it wasn't behind the counter

Heather - I never thought of panko and pesto as a breading for fish, probably because Vince doesn't like anything with any taste at all. He usually takes the breading off anyway, so maybe I'll give that a try

Carol - let's hope it is just joint pain. Now you take care of yourself, ya hear???? Happy birthday to your daughter! One of the bathrooms in our first house was decorated in gray/white/black, I thought it looked really pretty

Kim - what brand of tacos were those? What a wonderful NSV you had there

Well, just to try something out, I prelogged just my breakfast for each day my girlfriend was here, I didn't log anything more, never closed out the diary. Yet, the total number of days MFP is recording includes those days.

Michele in NC
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for starting June's thread and keeping us on track
    Mays goals:
    CW- 175
    GW- 169.5 (-2 lbs)
    Today's wght 173-(didn't make goal):cry:
    Cardio/strength- 2x's a week-yes
    Body Pump- 2x's a week- yes
    Walk/run- 3-4x' s a wk- more like 2x's
    Drink 8+ glasses water daily- yes
    Post to thread at least once a week- no
    (I didn't make goal wght, but lost inches)

June's goals:
    CW-173
    GW- 169
    Body Pump-2x's week
    Cardio/ strength circuit 2x's week
    Walk- 3x's a week
    Hike- 2x's a month
    8+ glasses of water daily
    Post to thread daily
    Brenda from Md
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, no one would laugh at anything you did, you are to sweet

Kim, yeah for that awesome NSV. For newcomers NSV is non scale victory. Sometimes it takes a long time to see victories on the scale but we often miss those non scale victories, being able to tie a shoe without being short of breath, ability to push a little kids swing set, looking good in something that was to tight on you, giving up a whole closet of clothes, yeah Sylvia!!!

Michelle, At Sams club it is behind the counter. I have no idea about elsewhere. As I said they had other magnesium supplements but I don't know why the doctor wanted him on slow mag. I don't know what the composition of it is unless it's the obvious. It's a more slow release.

Hope to get in bed early tonight so I can be rested for church. I slept so awful last night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Happy June! Hoping it will bring us all good things.

Joyce: thanks for the additional info on magnesium and heart problems.
    Heather: pesto crust on fish? I can’t seem to find the original post. It sounds delicious; I’m going to share it with my guy. Pesto, lemon juice, panko, in the oven?
    Carol: oh my goodness, you’ve got more than enough on your plate. You’ve got good plans in place to take care of yourself; that’s great.
    Meg: you’re hilarious; love your description of the café.
    Pat in Ohio: thinking of you; keep us posted.
    Barbie: thanks for the new thread!
    Kim: great NSV!
    Michele: sure wish I had your energy. Treatment for the horse (gas colic) was two injections: one with a painkiller and one to partially relax the intestines (relieve the cramps so the intestines function normally). Because the second injection also relaxes the esophagus they’re not allowed to eat for an hour or so, and after that you gradually increase their food.

I finally had a good night’s sleep again after about a week, so I hope I feel more normal today. Haven't felt very well since the arrhythmia incident, but some (a lot?) of that was lack of sleep. I do have some kind of painful cramp in my lower back, so I’ll be trying to keep moving without aggravating it.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Off to a Garden and Craft Fayre today. Done my exercises. Speak later.:heart:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • Pamelawagg
    Pamelawagg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello ! I'm pam from lansing mi 61. I can feel myself backsliding I weigh in on Mondays and hope it's not too bad !!! So, I'm Pulling up my big girl panty's and getting back on track. I also have a fitbit one that I love!

My goals:

Keep food diary up
    Walk 5 miles day or 10,000 steps
    64oz. Water

Have a Happy Healthy Day Everyone!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: Thank you so much for the new thread:flowerforyou: !!!

Have a great day ladies! Drink your water and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC:glasses:
  • thezzz
    thezzz Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there!

Newbie here....
    Joined MFP and a gym 2nd week in May, and managed to go 5 days a week for 3 weeks. Woohoo!! It's become a habit now.
    I've been tracking my food and water meticulously, almost obsessively. It's refreshing to see how much water I actually drink (about 12-14 glasses a day).

My June goals:
    Get my cardio up to 60 minutes a day (currently doing 40)
    Figure out a way to eat more protein without increasing my fat and carb intake (I'm mostly vegan)
    Lose 10 pounds (I'm 6 feet tall, so that is not an unhealthy goal)

Linda in North Carolina
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning;

Michele** You are doing so great with the exercising...makes me see how little I do :blushing: ...Your garden sounds so pretty esp with the lights..

Brenda** You lost lbs that is the main thing...and you are doing super exercising so the lbs cannot fight that very long..they will go down in no time..

Joyce** Not getting enough rest is hard on you..hope you can get more tonight...

Cynthia** Glad you got a good nights rest..I know when I am overly tired my head gets silly...

Heather** I hope you find some neat things at the Fayre..

Barbie** Thank you for always keeping us on track with the months...you make it easy for us to come and chat...:happy:

I have been stuck in my apartment for the last month and this one is working up to be the same :cry: ...been having health issues that keep me inside and now that the sun is shining I cannot even go out to enjoy it yet :grumble: Oh well... cannot last forever....I have my deck but I am nervous of going out on it as we are 11 stories up...silly I know :ohwell: I had my GS's over for a sleepover and it brightened my wknd up..they are so much fun to be with...you can learn many things from a 13 and 7 year old :heart: They are my joy :heart: :heart:

I hope everyone has a great goal month...Take Care :flowerforyou:

Liz fr Halifax NS
    2414101iat3dgjiqt.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am so excited to find so many good friends to join me for breakfast.....I read your posts while having my breakfast (the same one I have every day----a chocolate Isagenix shake with walnuts and flax seed).....now it's time to walk the dogs....the sun is just coming up and the day is now and will continue to be beautiful.......I hope we all enjoy every moment of this day.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2014 is Mindful
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all you nice people! Happy JUNE.
    Thanks for the thread. I started here two weeks ago. 'Learning a new routine and some new good habits.

Goals for June:
    Faithfully tracking food daily.
    Exercising six days a week.
    Starting and finishing some de-cluttering during the first two weeks of the month. It is time to drop extra "stuff."

My word for the past two months: Forgive

Roda Rose in Florida
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yes, a Happy June to All! It HASgot to be better than May. And a huge THANKS to Barbie!

Yesterday I did not get to the gym early enough for tai chi but did make yoga. Since none of the usual crew was there that I go to IHOP with, I walked the beach for about an hour..........saw a large sailboat out at sea and thought of Katla, saw no dolphins, though. Had a fall trying to sidestep a wave, no damage except a sore wrist today.........and I was doing so well, no falls for months now.. After an hour I left for home since I wasn't wearing any sunscreen and it was approaching 11am.

Weight loss goals have honestly fallen by the wayside; I'm generally eating fairly decently, but all day (and night) my thoughts disolve in worry for dd and trying to find a way make her see that dangerous horrible job is NOT where she should be. I can't help it. This is never out of my mind and nothing I can come up with is practical, let alone legal, since she's 21.......but I keep plotting. Yesterday she was alone, the owners took 4 of the horses and went off to some "show" before dawn (something about earning "points"????) and dd was there all alone trying to handle the whole operation by herself---after being there less than a week.......young horses, old horses, horses in recovery from injuries, horses ready to pop foals
    moving them around, feeding, grooming, mucking stalls, giving meds and treatments, etc..........what if she got kicked in the head, what if she had a bee sting???? She's highly allergic, has to carry an EpiPen.......she would die with no help. My nerves are still completely shredded from her possible pulmonary embolism scare of 3 weeks ago and my anxiety level is through the roof; it keeps coming back to: "How can she waste her life (and education) on this stupid, menial, meaningless, dangerous job?" The weight loss issue just doesn't seem very important at this point........sorry, but that's where my head is at presently. Everyone around me tells me: "Relax, she's having fun"........Fun????? Relax????? It's like watching your kid step off the roof of a building. I'm frantic, filled with sadness, rage, anger, regrets, and second thoughts about many things (like every riding lesson I ever paid for!!!!!!!!!) and still trying to come up with a plan. So.............that's where my head is at..........certainly not on the scale.

Carol............Hope your showings go well and you get your asking price. I did a bathroom last year in a sandy/rose light brownish and used the brushed nickle fixtures.........usually love it, but sometimes depending on the light I swear it looks Pepto pink............yuk.

Kim..................YAY!!!!! Congratulations on your long awaited and well deserved NSV!!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!

Pat..........Good to hear your DH is home; keep us posted.

Margaret..........The dove idea sounds like a lovely tribute; bet the families appreciated it.

Skipping goals this month.
    yanniejannie