WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just a few things as I head out the door for home. Been working hard trying to finish things up before starting my vacation on Friday.

Beth - my neice gets migraines when she has MSG. She has found that drinking Gatorade at the start of them stops them in their tracks. She is very careful to read labels and will ask the people making pizza at a pizza parlor if they have MSG. She has found that some do not have it. I think it was the ones with white sauce instead of red. She will also get them if she gets dehydrated or overheated and carries them with her if she is going to be outside hiking or running around all day. She is now 23 and has been doing this since she was about 5 so it's just a part of her life.

Sue - congratuations on your retirement. I'm eligible in Feb. 2015 and counting the days. :happy:

Mamacindy81 - What a wonderful little Fruit Baby! So cute! Your son did an amazing job. How old is he?

Hope those expecting storms tonight stay safe.

Heading out of work now and will try to beat the thunderstorm we are expecting. Makes traffic such a mess! :noway:

Tina from MD
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

BJ – take care; slow and easy… and soon it will just be a distant memory

Robin – glad you are seeing improvement; it must be the hardest!!

Sylvia – Yeah for Adrienne! :smile: Camp can be a great experience – I was a camp counselor all through high school and college, and even a director for a few years.

Nena – I am not – mfp gives me 1480 and I often gain 500+ calories in exercise; I try to eat back ½ or a bit less of the exercise calories. With us all at different sizes and point in our journeys, I would think the calorie counts are all over. :drinker:

Cynthia – am I a professional :flowerforyou: gardener? – no, but….. I love to garden; and when I got laid off in 2008, and there were no jobs to be found- I was determined about 2 things, one was I was keeping the house, and the second was I was not dipping into my retirement monies. So I sent email to every friend I had (and some folks who I barely knew) and offered to do anything (legal) for pay- and they could pay me what ever it was worth to them. Well by the end of a year; I had consolidated into 3 small businesses that I run today; one is a gardening service, one is teaching cooking and kitchen gardening classes, and the biggest one is a machine embroidery business - The first 2 have been much smaller until the last 3 months the embroidery business is in a bit of a slump – it will pull out but … so I am doing more gardening. I do not mow and blow; but I weed, plant, trim, fix sprinklers, deal with what ever the needs of the client are. Reality is I love all 3 and love that I can have all of them and not have to choose just one thing in my life. Although it makes calendaring a challenge:tongue:

DeeDee – thanks , I am interested to hear how you do not logging - I am currently totally afraid of that !

Cindy – great fruit baby pic – what a cute idea!!!

Moondoggz – I am not getting caught up in all the little details; I count calories, drink water, and move – and so far that is working for me. Some days I eat a high portion of my calories in bread/pasta…. Somedays a really low portion – I am going with what looks and sounds good.

Sylvia – there are ball zucchini; I love to bake mine so I tend to go for the long ones but all are good. Love the joke!

Mary – welcome

Vicki – I got my checkbook done:laugh: , but no desire to do yours – it is an awful job…:sad:

Well work to get done, and dog hair to vacume up so I better run - thinking of everyone!

Kim
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    We did not put a garden in this year. Life has just gotten ahead of us with the health concerns of our two sons. But how you all make me wish we did! There’s a house I drive by when I go to work where they have a picture-perfect garden. It’s truly a work of art. Often I stop by the side of the road to enjoy gardening vicariously.

Today is the third day (not consecutive) that my 16yo has had NO headache. This is the first time in over a year! Prior to this past week, he had one every single day. Thinking it’s a combination of things … botox, diet changes, stress reduced. But we’re hoping we can build on it!

Michele … seriously?? MSG in the ground?? Let’s hope he’s not that sensitive!

Jill … what a wonderful trip!

Allison … I wish your family appreciated you more … your patience is inspirational.

Sylvia … praying your bp stays within more normal ranges until you can get to the cardiologist. Stay hydrated!

Lola … whatever it takes to show a loss! Weight loss is weight loss!

Katla … our migraine trigger diet recommends removing all potential triggers at once for 2-4 months and then slowly add back one at a time! So everything goes … all 47 different forms of msg, chocolate, caffeine, citrus fruit, cheese, yogurt, nuts, raisins, nitrates, sulfites, most vinegars, fresh yeast products and on and on…. If after 2-4 months no improvement … then we’ll probably go gluten free as well. Grocery shopping has become a nightmare (2 hours today because I forgot my glasses and was trying to read labels) and very expensive. It’s a shame that fresh, wholesome products cost so much more than packaged. We will all be eating better! And I do like to cook. But miss the convenience things too.

Brenda … I am hearing impaired and can never hear the class instructors at the gym. It makes keeping up very difficult and very interesting! Those around me have gotten used to my being a couple beats behind!

Nena … if I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, MFP would put me at 1200 calories. I make a point of eating at least 1350 calories (if no exercise) because the 1200 number psychologically freaks me out. I’m set to lose 1.7 pounds per week at light activity. As soon as I see 1200 I start overeating … my brain just gets stupid I guess. So I’ve found a number I’m comfortable with and exercise more if I want more.

Moondoggz … I know of several people who do 1800-1900 calories and are losing, but they are also very high energy people who make exercise a great priority … most of them are younger too. But try it for a few weeks and see what happens. You’ll know what works for your body and lifestyle. When I’m in a rut, I go “lower carb” and by that I really mean no bread products for 2 days and then just adding them back lightly for 5 days. Food confusion they call it. My trainer recommended it and it does work because it still allows fruit on those two lower days. It’s high protein as well. I’ll send it to you if you’re interested … send me a friend request.

Heather … my life was turned upside down 18 mos ago when my very intelligent and successful 28yo became severely depressed and psychotic. Misdiagnosed for a year, but finally being treated for bipolar depression. Not quite right yet. It’s a horrible thing to watch your child suffer so. Praying your son will find peace.

Sandy … glad to see you posting again!! You inspire me with the different classes you are willing to try.

Vicky … so scary the weather you get. Stay safe.

Tina … thanks for the information regarding your niece. We are open to everyone’s experiences, hoping to see some correlation with our situation that we can try.

Kim … wow! I never realized you were so busy. I’m always impressed by the industrious-ness (is that a word) of others.

Have a great day!
    Beth in WNY … where we had an incredible rainbow last night!
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses and ideas!:flowerforyou:
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Parental duty called the last couple of days, so no gym time. It may be a bit of a shock when I finally get back after being gone two weeks.

Carol, you can still have "abs of steel!" Core work will definitely burn calories.

I am still going out in the 90 degree weather to try to plant a late garden. Pumpkins, cucumbers, peppers, and zucchini might still have a chance. That's what I get for leaving town at the wrong time for garden-starting.

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • tldiet
    tldiet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm new to this board and still about 6 mos from my 50th bday, but hope to join in the conversation. I'm trying very hard to stay on track with some added work pressures, but head down and focused for June.

My global goals was 50 lbs by my 50th Birthday in December. Along with that I hoped would come a fond farewell to insulin for my type 2 diabetes and renewed energy. I've made some headway with 11 lbs and find that logging here and that amazing support has really helped.

Way long winded, but wanted to introduce myself - Tamara

June goals -
    30 Day Ab Challenge
    Walk 75 miles
    Keep morning blood sugars under 115
    Finish cleaning out the home office (I've picked one area per month this year so when I turn the calendar all will be "new")

Have a great day everyone and good luck with your goals
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Didn't get nearly as much done today as planned. Missing tai chi and yoga right now; just back from the movies; saw Maleficent with Angelina Jolie; excellent, great special effects.......did not expect to like it as much as I did. My friend wanted me to meet her daughter's BF; they both have Down's syndrome and we needed to go later than usual because of his work sched. He seemed a very nice young man.

Carol........How about a townhouse type condo? That way you wouldn't have anyone below or above and maybe you could even get an end unit and have people on just one side. A real estate person once advised me to never buy on a cul de sac as every kid in the neighborhood will play there resulting in noise and difficulty getting in and out of your own driveway.

Katla...........Wow!! 33mph..............I have this vision of you sitting there with your hair flying behind in the wind.

Heather...........Here's hoping you get more rest tonight. As moms we worry, we just do. May your son find whatever he needs to get out of his depression.

Sylvia..........Loved today's joke!

Sandy................Wonderful to see you post; welcome back.

Vicki........Hope you got home safely and the storm chasers have no bad storms to chase.

Tina..........Will pass on to DD the Gatorade method of treatment, thanks!

Beth.............Yay for a day with no headache for your son, may the days add up.

Kim........Three businesses??????? I knew you were amazing, but not that amazing!!! Good for you.

Well, DH will be home any minute, got to go.
    yanniejannie
  • vickikwhisler
    vickikwhisler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

This is my first post on MFP. I was an active member of Spark People, but my daughter wanted me to join MFP with her so we could encourage each other.

I am 54 and a high school English teacher in the Philadelphia suburbs. I have had a lifelong fight with weight loss, and 6 years ago I got a divorce, lost 48 lbs, and felt really good about myself. I didn't reach my goal weight, but I was on the right road, and I knew I could do it.

I don't really know the exact point at which the weight started coming back on, but in the last 6 years I've gained back all of those 48lbs plus a couple extra.

For the last four weeks I've been trying to start down a healthy path. I am trying to eat very few processed foods and have started buying organic produce. I even planted a very small garden for the first time in over 10 years. I really want to make this change, but I am fighting all kinds of internal demons because I have failed so many times. I am normally a very positive person, but when it comes to my own weight loss, I need a lot of encouragement and reinforcement from others.

Vicki W.
    Originally from Kalamazoo, MI; now from Philly Suburbs

This is my first set of MFP goals:

June Goals-
    Do the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home Program 4x/week (2 weeks @ 1 mile and 2 weeks @ 2 mile)
    Do the 2.5 mile path at the walking park across the street 2x/week
    Try one new healthy recipe/week
    Finish landscaping front of house
    Choose a swim suit
    Kitchen (room of the month) super scrub
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    To everyone in the area of the storms tonight...stay safe. To Meg in Omaha...sending prayers your way.

Rori
    in the Colorado Foothills
  • vickikwhisler
    vickikwhisler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tamara, I like that idea of choosing one area each month to focus on. We bought a new house in October, and there is still so much to do that I find myself jumping from one project to another, and nothing gets totally done. I'm going to "borrow" your idea and make June my Kitchen month (since I need to get all that unhealthy food out of there anyway).

Vicki from Philly suburbs
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Nena, I start with 1200 calories but add in exercise and since I walk, dance, and ride my exercise bike, some days that’s a lot of calories……I make sure that all my calories are nutrition dense and don’t waste them on sauces, dressings, and baked goods.

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, I weighed 130 when I met Jake---we both gained a lot of weight after marriage because we spent too much time hanging around at home together and not so much time being active. Once I had my sweetie at home, I rushed home after work instead of going to Jazzercise.

:flowerforyou: Michele, when we had our farm in Northern California, one of Jake’s top sellers at the farmers’ market was golden mango beets.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, when I read about your remodeling, it reminds me of the summer I repainted and changed carpet and window coverings and how it became a full time job
    I loved the results but it was a lot of work.

:flowerforyou: Cindy,the fruit baby is darling---your son is very talented

:flowerforyou: Moondoggz, I stay away from bread, pasta, and many other starches because of the sodium and high calories for too little food……I eat a lot of vegetables and protein like chicken, turkey, and eggs. I am very active so my daily calories are about 1900.

:flowerforyou: Jacqueline, good luck on your studying…..if you read and post every day, you’ll get to know us little by little.

:flowerforyou: Carol, look for upper body exercise on the internet…..I think you’ll find lots of good ideas…..I know some women with knee problems who aren’t able to walk for exercise but do fine on a bike....pilates might have some good moves

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD…..congrats on your retirement…….take it one day at a time and you’ll find so great thing to do with your new life….I used to take my dogs to the off leash park and I always walked while they ran

Yanniejannie, I need a comfy bed now but I remember when I was in my teens and 20’s I slept in some odd places.

:bigsmile: Jb, glad you’re feeling better

:bigsmile: Jane, have fun at the pool with Violet

:bigsmile: Heather, the spinach and feta pie sounds delicious

:bigsmile: Sandy, aquafit and cardioboxing sound like great exercise

:bigsmile: Vicki, that’s great news from your doctor….we see that you are doing great but it’s nice that the doctor agrees.

:flowerforyou: Kim, how resourceful of you to find a way to make a living doing things you like and are good at.

:flowerforyou: Beth, you have quite a challenge with the migraine free eating requirements especially having to feed a family.

:flowerforyou: Tamara, welcome….take it one day at a time and it will be easier to stay focused even with job pressures.

:flowerforyou: Vicki W., it took me many false starts before I found the formula that worked(at age 62)……I frequently have to tell my head to “shut up” when it sends me messages that are destined to derail my good progress.

:flowerforyou: This morning Jake and I had “words” about something and I was pretty upset and found myself going to the computer to buy myself a new music download instead of to the refrigerator for a food treat to help me feel better…..that is some sort of a miracle.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

:bigsmile: 24,000 steps today

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
    My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Moondogz I am on average about 1900-2000 a day too. I am very active. I substitute teach so i am on my feet most of the day and I am heavy duty gardening 2-3 hours a day. I am also about 5'8". I have maintained a twenty five pound weight loss for about two years.

Sandy glad to see you back.

Helped out my Kindergarten friend today. Students are doing well considering it is getting near the end of the year. We went to our last concert at the James J . Hill house. He was the Bill Gates of his day in the late 1900's. After the concert we took a tour of the his home. We learned during his day men took showers and women took baths because women were to delicate to take showers. We have come a long way.

Today I will weed the vegetable garden so we will have a better yield in a months time.

2014 contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi girls. Awful stormy here; we are surrounded by places getting 90+mph winds and baseball sized hail with more to come. My friend lost all her windows and siding....just stripped off the house. my best friend's car was nearly crushed while she was driving home. Midtown Omaha was flooded to the point where there have been water rescues in the streets. Never heard of that happening here before and I've been here since '71! Looks like a long night. I read all the posts but I'm getting off the computer for a while. Take care all. Meg from windy, rainy, haily (is that a word?) Omaha
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wow...such a busy thread...goals for June...hmmm...I need to get back to exercising 4x a week and start adding in squats with my regular routine; log everyday and choose foods mindfully...more fruits and veggies and less sugar

Sending hugs, prayers and high fives to a great group of hard working achievers of goals!
    :heart:
    Jen in steamy, slightly stormy NY
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi to All,

Have had a stormy day here but after working in the garden for last few days was a nice break, slowly getting back on track
    nice to have good weather to be outside after such a long winter.
    prayers going to all with health and family problems
    congrats on all the success some are having and getting to retire is the best
    all the remodeling reminds me to get after dh again to paint a few rooms, not his idea of fun may take some major pushing, last time I did the painting did not work well, so we just wont try that again lol.

Meg, stay safe , seen your weather on our news scary times

Good nite to all

juanita in sudbury
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg, I am watching the news right now and they are showing a picture of a yard in Nebraska getting hail as big as base balls. Be safe my friend

Joyce, Indiana
  • amyloutoyou
    amyloutoyou Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Goals are to begin to log my meals. I'm planning a walking marathon this month and I need to move into a new training/fitness planning. Best wishes to all!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of incline intervals today (3 min @3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3% 4mph). Tomorrow I'm planning to go to yoga and then take the deep water class.

After exercising I went to Bi-Lo to get a veg tray, I'll take that to Mexican Train. Honestly, I'll probably be about the only person who eats it, but that also means that I get to bring a lot more home with me :) Then came home and we cut the grass, then I went in the pool. Afterwards, I took a shower, got the veg tray ready (I needed to make the dip), cut up some strawberries that I'll freeze, I got some overripe bananas at Bi-Lo and they were so overripe that I had to peel them and freeze them. Then got breakfast ready for tomorrow. Now here for a bit then have to make dinner. Mexican Train tonight

Lola - I thought of you as I was doing my incline intervals today. It seems that whenever I get on the treadmill, I HAVE to go to the bathroom after a while. At about 30 minutes into the workout, I felt like I needed to go but thought I could wait the other 30 minutes. Well, there was no way I could wait. You should have seen me running to the bathroom! Then I finished my workout

DeeDee - you don't need to tell me that the pool is a good jplace to be! I've been in it almost every day so far

moondogz - I don't count carbs, I just try (operative word) to eat healthily

Mary - welcome. Great goals. A little bit at a time and you'll be doing lots more in no time. You're smart to start out slowly and work your way up Do you have a problem with the sugars in fruit?

Jacqueline - congrats on studying for the exam. You CAN do it

Cindy - so sorry about dh's aunt. The fruit baby is absolutely adorable.

Carol in NC - I've heard of these "Sit and Be Fit" exercises, I'm sure you can find them on uTube. I would suspect that they don't involve much leg, and what they do involve you can just skip over. Good luck at your appt

katla - thanks for telling me about the google calendar. I have to check it out

Heather - so sorry about your son. At least he's chosen a good drug!

Sue in SD - Bet your dog just loved the run

Tina - if I see my friend who has a sensitivity to MSG, I'll tell her about the Gatorade. Never heard of that, but it sure can't hurt

Kim - I'm afraid of not logging, either.

tamara - jump right on in

vicki - welcome! We moved to NC from Kennett Square.

barbie - which music download did you get? Congrats on such a healthy alternative to stress eating. So sorry you and Jake had words

Meg - please stay safe.

Just came back from Mexican Train Dominoes. I had two of what I think were sausage cheese ball, they sure looked like the ones I make, only bigger. Then I filled up on the veges that I brought -- zucchini, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. I personally thought it was very good. I just don't understand what people see as so wonderful with fried foods and these sandwiches with lots of dressing.

Michele in NC
  • TahoeReno
    TahoeReno Posts: 1
    Options
    Phyllis from Reno - I just joined and am already enjoying the Food section and how it records what I eat and drink. I need motivation but I have the desire but have 'negative thinking" and do not believe it will happen for me.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: An update on my 10 yr old great-niece, Mariah, written today by her mom:

As of last week, we learned that the Pathology for the brain tumor had changed since last year. It has now been called a Rhabdoid tumor. Due to this change, we are now taking a much more aggressive road to treatment. Instead of just surgery and radiation, Mariah will now have chemo for more or less a year and radiation for a brief time during this year span. For that reason, many scans have been done in preparation for her treatment plan. Yesterday they placed a feeding tube in her belly (in case she cannot eat due to nausea during treatment), a port in her chest to be given chemo through and they did a bone marrow biopsy make sure no bad cells have traveled. Today, she had an MRI and a spinal tap and a nuclear med study that has taken all day. We were supposed to be going home today but now we are staying the night again since more pics need to be done tomorrow. Then, Thursday, she will be having a temporary port placed on the top of her head. She will be receiving injections through this port during treatment. Doctors say that this port is not painful to the patients. As of right now, we think chemo will begin sometime next week. She will be inpatient every three weeks or so for a heavy round of chemo and then spend a few weeks at home in between.

jb in Portland