WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. Well NE made the national news and not for anything good; there was a rare “sister” or dual tornado yesterday about 85 miles north of here…that’s two tornados that are strong and both about the same size at the same time. Sometimes you see a big one with “babies” but that’s not the same. These were on the ground for over an hour and a little village named Pilger with about 300 people is completely gone. They had 2 deaths including a 5 year old girl and 19 critical injuries. That in itself is rare around here. These were EF-4 tornadoes on a scale of 0-5 (5 is the strongest) so the damage was tremendous.:sad: Makes me look around and count my blessings.

Went to work today and didn’t get much done, but got some things started I can work on tomorrow. Did the weights and yoga today. DD#2 feels better today and went to work.

Heather your lunch sounds magnificent!!! Good job on the weight loss!

\Sylvia: I love Smart Balance margarine although butter has its advantages….it’s at least natural, but we use smart balance. My MIL had Alzheimers and she once said “You know what the best thing about Alzheimer’s is?” “No, what?” “I can hide my own Easter eggs!” And then she laughed uproariously! Your BP is worrying me!

\Judy: you had a great workout

Margaret: yes be safe!

Yanniejannie: that is so odd to feel glad and bad at the same time about DD’s job situation, isn’t it? I hope she finds something good soon that she is suitable for!

47Jacqueline: just post when you have time!

Joyce: a lot of pizza places around here will make you a thin crust with veggies and little cheese; two normal sized pieces of that is only 48 carbs.

Kim: hope you got some good rest! Good grief! What a week at your house. Last year I came home to find my storm door hanging by a thread of caulking! At first I thought someone tried to break in, but it just fell off!

Cynthia: good news so far…hopefully the stress test will be good as well

DeeDee: I hope your little baby has decided that people do NOT taste good! We used to have the huge brute of a dog who had fear aggression and we had to go to “naughty doggy school” for aggressive doggies for 2 years! :noway:

Cindy: come up any time and my cats will keep you company as you lounge. The beagle doesn’t bark so he’s quiet too. Now if only we could get DD#2 to stop screaming! I hate to say “Use your indoor voice” to a 17 year old, but I do! :bigsmile:

Suzy: let us know what the dr says

Adanie: keep up the good work

Lucy: come back anytime because we love hearing from you even if it’s not daily. I too have thinning hair, and insomnia so let me know what I should do!

DrKatie: great nsv!!!

Alison: once when I was in your situation with the food and all the people, I wrote up menus that had something for everyone (maybe just one dish each meal)and told people to bring their own food if the meals didn’t work for them. You simply can’t please everyone’s requests without being a restaurant!

Carol: it sounds like you had a grand day!

Bodi: SO GLAD you are doing better. I have been worried about you! Tell mamma to keep us up to day more often because I think the worst otherwise….Love Benny Beagle:heart:

Renny what a darling baby! I bet you are so proud!

Well I have been lurking here for an hour, so I’m off to get some stuff done! Have a good evening every one and remember YOU ARE ENOUGH!
    Take care, Meg from quiet Omaha for now :drinker:
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    To anyone of the Vitamin F’s along the path of the tornadoes, I hope you are all safe and sound; it whipped past here, but without damage.

GO BODI! Hooray! At last!

Margaret turk - thanks for sharing the gluten connection- I have grain allergies, and all the connections help me make sense of how to improve my food.

Dee – welcome to the group and welcome back, I am just recently back myself. Feels good.

Grandmaille – I hope you take deep breaths; don’t let them take your hardwon calm.

CityJane – they say going off your plan once a week helps your metabolism reset….that is what I would call it!

Momsamodel – 3 things in the same week? Well, they say bad things come in threes.

Wisa- welcome to this group!

Gloria – you are leaving the 102 degree weather in Detroit for the 103 degree weather of Florida? I am hoping my pool is finally warm!

Drkatie- Nice NSV! What is squash casserole with greek yogurt?

Molly – I know exactly what my standard poodle wants when he looks me In the eye…he does not even have to bark or scratch to make his food/ FRESH COLD water/ OUT now desires known. I can read him like a book! And he is a smart and truly loving dog. Good luck with the new meds!

Jmkmomm – yeah, it is so hard to eat at places other people select, you did very well. Could have succumbed!

LucyT4 – welcome too, and I am jealous of your Washington weekend and your hydranga’s. The killing snow and frost and cold weather killed all the buds and branches…so back to square one. All cut and waiting for next year.

Adaniel – your workout schedule is amazing and inspiring…woot back!

To everyone else new - welcome and join in!

To all the wonderful regulars who help encourage us all along on a daily basis, many thanks!

BJ, SWOnt
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Renny, That little guy is adorable!

Eileen near San Diego
  • mimipenny
    mimipenny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I'm a newbie from hot Louisiana. Hoping to make friends, keep motivated, and lose weight. My name is Penny.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    A last check in before I go off to read a bit.... had a big salad for dinner, it is kinda fun to list all these ingredients in your diary and still have the calories be under 200.... Well my book is calling me...

Heather – you did good, and tomorrow you’ll be back exercising and watching what you eat… :smile:

Alison – I am so sorry DH (not so D today) did not appreciate your gift…:cry:

Dee Ramage – welcome

Carol in Monroe – congrats on releasing that weight! :bigsmile:

Bodi – How exciting – someone asked about you the other day, I am so glad to hear you are up on all 4’s! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Renny – congrats!

Michele – was that Milford, CT????

Meg – I thought of you when I heard about the tornados – seems so scary, I have never seen or been in/near a tornado or hurricane…. Yuck!

Kim in N.California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg I was thinking about you last night when I saw those awful tornadoes. Glad you are OK. It helps us put a different perspective on life.

Congratulations Renny, that little one is so precious.

Yeah Bodi, like a baby taking his first steps!

Yes, Michelle, a pizza place but I had a nice salad and then came home and supplemented it with my usual carrots and apple since I don't like the peppers of any kind. I had mushrooms, lettuce, spinach ( not of fan of), onion and two kinds of tomatoes. So no protein for lunch. My hand is sticking out for all of you to slap it.

Joyce, Indiana, hot, hot Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Wtg Bodi! A little better everyday. Hang in there Robin.

Tornadoes, how scary. I remember hunkering down in the cellar when we lived in Ontario. Where I live now, we have earthquakes. Yesterday, in fact. Nothing serious. Frankly, I think the earth moved because it was so happy to welcome my grandson. Hahaha.

I'm checking how things are with my mom tomorrow. I need to get some sleep now. This stress is playing a number on me. My back is in knots, headache and nausea. I know some of it may be lingering flu symptoms, but stress is likely playing a part as well. At least it's keeping me away from having my glass of wine at dinner. I was sent home from work today. Go home Renny, you need to sleep. Very nice of them of course, although sleep was not to be had, But at least I rested(watching daytime tv: dr. Phil, dr. Oz, judge judy) oh my. I'd rather be at work.

Good night
    Renny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    i am sore and cant move,but it is a good sore.. I think what I will do, after having my warm lemon water and icing my heel,is go race walking and then go back to the gym tomorrow.. sorta mix it up
    I think DH will eventually break down and use the fitbit..he was just spending quality time last night with me which was nice
    I havent checked my phone ,but ya know what I am not going to stress about it...
    I am going to buy some bottled water to take up too...
    Meg~ glad you were ok.. those tornado's are so scary....
    Renny` congrats on the new grandson...
    Bodi~ yea so glad you are making progress
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: sure hope you will feel better soon. I’m so sorry it seems impossible to see the cardiologist; it shouldn’t be that way. Does your GP have a “substitute” when he/she is away? Maybe that person can help.
    Sptwomen: welcome! As others have said, you can find the topic by going to “Community”, and then “My topics.”
    Alison: glad you enjoyed your gym time! So sorry your husband didn’t want the Fitbit. It’s not your fault. :flowerforyou: If your visitors require special food it’s only reasonable that they help with that and not expect you do just accommodate them. Good advice from Joyce.:drinker:
    Suzy: good luck with your physical.
    Lucy: I’m interested in the solution you found for Milo in the yard. Maybe you can post a picture. I can’t remember whether you have a fenced-in yard and he jumped the fence, or did he just get loose? Sorry.
    Gloria: hope you have a great time!
    Kim: you might have to “bomb” the house, if the powder doesn’t work. Or Levi has a different problem. Sorry about all your “technical” problems.
    Yay Bodi! :drinker:
    Renny: Congrats!
    Meg: glad you’re OK.

Losing parents: my mom’s 83 and still plugging along in her own house. I hope it can stay that way. I normally see her once a year since I live far away, and every time I wonder whether it will be the last time. Terrible feeling. We’ve sure had our moments, but our relationship is good now and I don’t want her to be gone. :heart:

Everyone, thanks for the rug tips. I’m going to investigate them.
    Also many thanks for the good wishes re the cardiologist appointments! It's still a bit scary, since I can feel the rhythm problems, but hopefully the stress test will go well.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Was going to use my new HRM for cardio kickboxing last night, but after I wet the band, I realized I left the sensor on my sink ledge. Today I'm going to a Zumba class that my ZJ taught last Sunday on Salsa. She's going to do the two routines we choreographed and invited us to join the class with her. I couldn't find the music for one so I've only practiced the first.

Michele in NC - hope you enjoy your low cal brownies :smile: Yoga and deep water exercising sound like a good combination.

meg from Omaha - I hope the tornadoes aren't landing near you.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    morning again, now im all set to go out and walk, now Homer has decided to park it on my lap:heart:
    hate to move him,but gotta do what I gotta do.. then back and do laundry before work
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends!

Renny - ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Gorgeous!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kim - I agree with BJ - everything breaks in threes!:laugh: Amazing how often that happens.

Joyce - well done on the salad. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia - best wishes fof the stress test.:flowerforyou:

Now I am sober I recalculated my cals for the dinner and I reckon it was 1100. I fell more or less right on my TDEE for the day so I am quite happy with that. Burnt off 547 cals this morning despite feeling a bit queasy.:laugh: :wink: I put in one of my new knee exrcises that the physio gave me. I could certainly feel the muscles working! He did say that I would probably never be able to dance or run.:cry: Dancing used to be my favourite form of exercise, but I can do lots of other things. Thank goodness for our machines. He did say cycling was one of the best things for the knee.

I'm going to make another effort today to buy a top to go with my new skirt. I also want to make a small batch of lemon shortbread biscuits to go with the rhubarb dessert on Friday. I won't be eating any, but they are delicious! I have lemon ice cream left over from yesterday. I made it in February! The good thing is that we have enough barbecued chicken and salads left over from last night that I won't have to cook tonight.:happy: Friday's starter, cauliflower cake, is in the freezer so all I have to do tomorrow is cook the goat curry. I will add the chopped sweetcorn on the day. I will serve it with a mixed green salad, a tomato and basil salad, a cucumber and yoghourt salad and rice of course.

Our chard is looking good in the veg patch and the yellow zucchini plants have got out of the ground. I planted six and have got two, which is easily enough. Something is eating the kale, but enough is surviving to adulthood! Beans have been nibbled, but are putting out new shoots so I think we may yet get some beans. We will pick the last of the gooseberries today. I reckon we had 800 berries off one small bush! The blackcurrants are coming along and the plum tree is covered in green plums. The pears all disappeared, :grumble: , and we don't have many apples, but it is all very satisfying. It is the reason we don't go away on holiday in the summer any more, but it is so lovely here we don't mind.

Love to you all. :heart: Heather in flowery and warm Hampshire UK
  • marymcwilliamsrowell
    Options
    Love to have support in my weight loss goals! weight loss after 50 is an uphill battle, but with my fitness pal it keeps me on track..
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Meg:smile: The damage done by those tornados look horrendous :cry: ! So glad you were not in the path of them!!!

Robin:smile: So glad Bodi is doing better:flowerforyou: !!!! I've been worried about him too!

Renny:smile: Congrats, what a gorgeous little bundle of joy! How is DD doing? Hope you'll be able to get some sleep:yawn: !

Thanks to those who shared the stories about their dogs biting, it's not a fun club to be in:noway: . Noel will just have to deal with being in the bedroom, I could put her in her crate, I'm sure she would prefer having the run of a room though.

The painters are gone for a week:angry: , a corporate job was finally ready and they have to have it done in a week, so they leave me with only 3 rooms finished. I am not happy:noway: :explode: ! That means when they come back they will be here for 10 days at least......:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: . I'm wondering if the house will ever be done! The carpet goes in upstairs Mon. & Tues. and the furniture is being delivered on Thursday of next week, I'm looking forward to that:happy: ! I just hate having the house in disarray, it's starting to really bother me:frown: .

Hope everyone will have a fabulous day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    Grumpy DeeDee in HOT NC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning Ladies...... I have been reading and trying to keep up with everyone, very busy bunch.

well today I turn 62 and other than no significant weightloss I have learned a great deal this past year and managed to stay healthy so that is a big plus, have been back on track for few weeks now and seeing results again lost a few pounds and inches yay

want to welcome all the newcomers great group of ladies here

:flowerforyou: well wishes to all take care

juanita in sudbury
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Juanita!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wow, DeeDee, I certainly hear you on the heat
    we reached 94 yesterday!! DD went for a run on the beach and I sat and watched for dolphins; finallly rented an umbrella.........and yes, Michele, I did put plenty of sunscreen on the tops of my feet, and thought of you (of course, thanks again!!!) as I was doing it!!!

I always made a point of saying "I love you" last when leaving my parents home, realizing it might be the last time I'd see them. For some reason it was important for me that this was the last thing I said to them should the unthinkable happen.

Sylvia.........hope "something" works in your pursuit of the medical care you deserve...........very best of luck. Remember, the squeaky wheel and all that.

Meg..........So glad the tornados missed you.........I remember going down the basement many times in Mi. and later driving around seeing the horrific damage several times in the 7 years I lived there.

Drkatie............major congrats on that nsv..........be proud!!!

Kim..........Oh, Kim, 3 in a row; how upsetting! Hope it all gets sorted.

BJ............Very glad those tornados missed you!!!!

Bodi................MAJOR YAYS!!!!! GOOD boy!!!! Pets and hugs to you.

Renny...........WOW!!! Gorgeous baby; happy, happy grandmother!!! Congrats to all!

Got 5hrs. of great sleep!!!! Much better than the night before!

Welcome newbies; you have found the right place!

Everyone
    Have a great day!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS.............Popped back on to say
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Juanita..........lol, you've caught up to me!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Renny, congratulations! Beautiful baby!

Bodi, yay! So glad you are better! Wish I could give you a hug in person. Great job taking care of him Robin!

Sylvia, hoping everything get to normal soon!

Meg, glad you are ok. We understand storm threats here in OK.

Best wishes to all for a wonderful day.

Cindy in OK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies,

Renny precious. Congrats!:flowerforyou:

Carol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ and Pam I learned it is the protein in wheat that causes the problem. Your body reacts with antibodies and unfortunately your thyroid has a similar makeup to this protein so the antibodies attack the thyroid. Barbie I didn’t know about dairy being a problem too.

Got a call from tire place the machine is fixed, so I need to set up another appointment. Again I wish they would have just be upfront right away. I do not like complaining to see things done right. Communication is the key.

Took my own advice and drank tart cherry juice before I went to bed. Slept well from 11-7.

Raining today so hopefully I will get more of my spring cleaning done and out of the way.

Today I will have tart cherry juice before bed, so I will have a good nights sleep and wake to a healthier tomorrow.
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just a quick note to say...

Yea Bodi!!!! Good boy!

Renny, congrats! I hope to see more baby pics in the future!

Meg, I'm so glad you didn't blow away! I was worried.

My BP is up a little this morning, at least until I take my meds, and my weight is down a little, so life is good.

Have a great day!

Sylvia