WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• saltysailors
    saltysailors Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, so This sounds like the group I need to be in! I recently moved to a new area, so I have no friends where I am, yet. I joined weight watchers for support and accountability as well. I have a tendency to start well, then slip up and can't seem to get back on track for a while, then I get discouraged! I also have a hard time remembering to check in regularly as well as tracking daily. Not really sure how to remedy those problems, except to try to make tiny changes to create new habits and build on those.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – what a great time with everyone

Muzica – welcome

Katla – I have never tried to BBQ a brisket, did you do it on indirect heat? :smile:

Cynthia – hope all goes well with the cardiologist.

Patty – glad to hear 2more lbs are gone! :bigsmile:

Carol – What a great picture – you look so proud and beautiful; good for you for standing up for the painting situation. :smile: :smile:

Katla – I had a dog that was very sensitive to the “regular” shots – I had to end up having them done one at a time, so she was not miserable.

Tina – sounds like a great vacation

Kathy – I love the homemade card choice…

Heather – what a nice hostess – 2 choices for each course!

Cynthia – you took the word out of my mouth – to scared to shower – so you drive? NOT:grumble:

MN Margaret - great job to read and question…

Yannie Jannie – What great news!!! :wink: Trust me that border is nothing compared to what I face regularly.

Michele - so sad about your mom, you must have been so young.

Jscoachwife – welcome

busy day but it is 11pm and I am exhausted... so I'll tell about me tomorrow.
    Kim in N. Cal
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep; still awake.

Sylvia..............Had a thought: It's possible that your family dr. could speak up on your behalf to arrange to get you seen sooner at cardiology---this is done often, they will slip people into the sched. at the request of other drs. Your BP and related faintness does need to be checked out.

Yuck; another night on the couch.

G'nite............again
    yanniejannie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Quick pop in before I'm off to yoga - I have lost that pesky pound! So now I'm back to my fighting weight! It took a whole month to lose the two pounds I gained on my week's holiday! But I've done it! ! ! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Bad news - I'm not feeling well. Bit fluey. I hope I am better soon for my friends' arrival.:cry:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    up early ,early because I went to sleep early.. the one day I want to get to the gym, i am icing my heel.. I did order my new orthotics for my shoes, and the weight I have put back on I think is not helping.. I drank like 68 oz of water yesterday which is good, but my kidneys are hurting this morning.. every once in awhile they hurt, could be that one of the cysts has ruptured:grumble:
    Oh well.. I think I am wearing myself out trying to do to much.....will try and slow down, but sorta hard to do when your planning a trip....
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; I'll read-and-reply later, but for now I just wanted to say that the cardiologist appointment went well. The ultrasound showed no abnormalities and the pumping of the heart is good. I am gradually getting off the beta blocker during the next week so I can have a bike stress test a week from today. Then I'll be able to get advice about training and whether or not I should continue the beta blocker.
    So far, so good.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All, Today is my ab class. I am looking forward to it but nervous at the same time. I know I did really well last week and I hope people will come back again. I love instructing.
    I am going to cycling class this evening and then I think I'm going to try out a new yoga class. I need to work on form, breathing and balance and I think yoga is a way to help with those things.
    Guess it's time to get to work. I hope eveyone has a healthy and blessed day.

Joyce, IN, Thanks. I do miss my Dad a lot, as the posts indicate most who have lost them do. My mother dies 5 years before my father and although I loved them both that last 5 years I got to know my Dad like never before. It was truly a blessing to have that time.

Jody OH I’ve heard of Steubenville, I live in Hamilton which is almost half way between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Michele, Thanks, I don’t want to do the same work out every week and am always looking for different exercises. I will check into it.

Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cynthia:smile: Great news:bigsmile: !!! Hope the stress test goes as well:flowerforyou: !!!

Carol in NC:smile: What a wonderful picture, handsome son and beautiful mom:love: !

Michele:smile: I`ve been having pop up thunderstorms almost everyday here:grumble: , yesterday I was outside power washing my deck furniture when one popped up:angry: . It didn`t rain very hard, but the drops were huge:noway: . Summer time in NC:ohwell: ! Are you going to Jessica`s this weekend?

Yanniejannie:smile: Boo hiss:angry: on the mean bosses, yay and happy dances that your daughter is out of that situation! Hope you finally got back to sleep:yawn: !

Katla:smile: Hope your fur baby is feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Heather:smile: Congrats on getting the pound off:bigsmile: !!!

My sweet (cough cough) little dog, decided she needed to know what a painter tasted like, so she bit one of my painters yesterday:noway: . I was totally mortified:embarassed: . She barks and growls and sounds like she would eat you, but until yesterday has never bitten anyone. She has had all of her shots, he said he was fine, cleaned it and put an antibiotic cream on it. She got banished to the bedroom for awhile, and when I let her out I kept her on a leash, so she had to stay right with me, it was very hard trying to do anything with the dog attached to me all afternoon. I know she`s tired of people coming and going all the time, but... I guess she`ll be spending a lot of time in the bedroom. Sure hope today will be better! I changed my profile pic to the little bugger, she looks so sweet and cute, looks can be deceiving:frown: !

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in muggy NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Howdy all~
    well praise the lord~ I got my butt to the gym... feels good...and they missed me.. will try and get there daily get back into the routine.. I know it is what is best for me and my body.. I will be 54 in another week or so and the best gift I can give myself, is the gift of health...
    came home and had a protein smoothie, and made dinner and lunch for the DH, his fitbit will be delivered today.. hope he will like it
    well im off to the showers and then to work, my long day today
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: this weekend my dog bit (well, barely) someone who was petting him a bit roughly and who suddenly pushed him (my dog) onto his back so he could rub his tummy. The guy meant well, but obviously didn't think that pushing a dog onto its back is extremely aggressive in dog language. :huh:
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Just stopping in for a moment to share my NSV!

Last evening I was determined to get to the aqua aerobics class. I left work exactly on time, exceeded the speed limit just a little getting home so I could change and get to class a little early. So I changed into my bathing suit to save time once I got to the gym. I started bouncing down the stairs (at home - Thank God) and the girls fell out of the bra cups because the top was too big! :laugh: Tonight its on to Walmart hoping to find a relatively inexpensive suit.:happy:

Tere in Richmond VA

Had a Few More Minutes::happy:

Cynthia: Thanks for the tip for using the ends of the asparagus.

Carol in NC: I am so happy that you worked it out with Lowes! I dare not eat a southern biscuit. I couldn’t stop with just on with real butter, homemade strawberry jam, and a piece of country ham. I’ve often seen scones in the coffee shops and thought they looked like my grandmother’s baking soda biscuits – great observation.:tongue:

Jscoachwife: Welcome! I’m not sure that I understand “You all sound like you have it so together” means. I feel like I am falling into little pieces most days.:laugh: Anybody that will still try to ride a roller coaster is a friend for me! In younger days roller coasters were my favorite rides, starting with the wooden one at Hershey Park, on through the newer steel ones. Now I get my thrill watching others ride them.

47Jacqueline: I still have trouble keeping up with everyone!:wink:

Joyce: The SO goes to the doctor alone because I’m usually at work. We review everything the night before and I make a list of things for him to walk to the doctor about! They are such babies!:blushing:

DeeDee: Dogs are really smart! I have had three standard (giant) poodles and all of them were white. I also had a groomer that had just graduated from school and wanted to specialize in poodle cuts. He charged me $35 per visit and would do the most fantastic cuts. The poodles were a little taller than my dining room table and all 3 reached 85-95 pounds individually. Because of their fancy cuts people felt like they were poof-poof dogs and did not have any idea they are highly intelligent hunting dogs. I only had one incident when a young man came to visit my son and the oldest poodle, who never bothered anyone, was hell bent on biting this guy. Later I found out that the young man was abusing drugs. Evidently the dog knew more than I. Don’t be too hard on your darling puppy.:flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Welcome new comers! It has been said before that don' t feel you need to respond to all posts. For me if I have the time I will respond to the posts since the last time I posted if I have time, sometimes I respond to posts that I feel a strong connection to and leave it at that, sometimes I just fill in what I am doing. There is no right or wrong way to join in. If I know it will be a long post I write out my post on a word document, highlight control C, hit reply then control V. Other times I will just read posts and then write in bump to save my place. Join in where you are comfortable. This is a great forum for support and ideas for maintaining and achieving weight loss.

Joyce I agree about the tornadoes.. We had high winds the last couple of storms and that is bad enough for me.

Cynthia great news for your appointment. Hope stress test goes well.:flowerforyou:

Yannie jannie I had the same trouble sleeping last night at about the same time. :yawn: After venting about my car yesterday. I did write an e-mail to the main company. Part of the problem is the person who waits on you is not the person who does the work on your car. It may have been a communication problem between the two. I did think management needed to know. My cousin's son used to own and run a car repair shop. He still is a great resource, so I ask him where to go the next time I need this service.

Today I will continue to spring clean, so I wake to healthier home.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I know some of you have "recipes" for insomnia. Please share again? I am so blooming tired that I literally can't see straight. I am getting about 3-4 hours of sleep per night and it's really wearing me down. I'm afraid I'm going to get sick if my body doesn't get some rest.

Thank you for all of the compliments on my picture with my son. He is a handsome young man and it's a pretty good picture, even if he is making a goofy face. A special thanks to the one who commented that I looked so young! Since the weight loss, I feel like my age is really showing in my face so it was nice to hear that maybe it is not as bad as I think.

I am enjoying my time alone this week and am getting some things done in the house. It is so nice to know that the things I cleaned last night will still be clean when I get home today! If I don't keel over from a lack of sleep, I hope to have some major changes made to the house by the time my son gets home on Saturday. On the other hand, I may be working at the second job until midnight this week to try to balance the check book. The new treasurer we have this year is not too good and has messed up a LOT of the deposits.

Off to get some work done!

Carol in NC
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tere, thank you for making me smile!

Margaret, I have read something somewhere about gluten and thyroid problems. It is something I should investigate further. I have Hashimoto's and am trying to find out how best to live with it. I saw the film Fat, Sick and Nearly dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mS0YA465ts

It was interesting to me as he also has an autoimmune disease. I don't think I am willing to change my diet to those extremes though.

Heather, I have been to Whitstable. Our friends lived there before moving to Faversham. All I remember is a pub on a pebbly beach next so some of those cute beach houses.

That is all. It is hard to get here during the work week.

Stay well all!
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    This group just keeps galloping along. I finally got back into my exercise routine after vacation. Three weeks off made a dent in my fitness, but it it coming along. Yesterday, I did body pump, and a brisk mile walk, and today is 30 mins of core strength, then Bodycombat.

Last weekend, on our walk to the coffee shop, DH spotted a domestic rabbit someone turned loose in the park. I tried to catch it, but it danced away as soon as I touched its nose.

Yanniejannie, what a roller coaster!

Cynthia, glad initial tests look good!

Renny, sorry about your mom. I'm in a similar situation. You never know when you hang up the phone and say "goodbye" if it is THE goodbye.

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies,

Today I have done some yoga, then strength training for chest and back and next I will be on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes. It is warm and muggy in Oklahoma. Summer is on us now. Our flower beds are looking good except for the deer munching on my hollyhocks and trumpet vine. :grumble:

Alison, I'm glad you made it to the gym. I hope it eases some of the stress you've been under.

Meg, I want to visit, I love books and quiet!

Heather, congratulations on the pound loss. I do squats, walking lunges and plié squats for my knees. I use dumbbells at about 12 pounds.:flowerforyou:

Joyce, I saw pics of those tornados, very scary.

Cynthia, yay! I'm glad the appointment went well. I agree, dogs are a great judge of character.

Tere, Oh my! Let me wipe my screen off, thank goodness you were home with the girls! I dove into a pool once wearing a strapless suit, not smart! Even though I was in my 20's and had very small girls back then. At least I was very quick pulling a suit up under water!:laugh:

Carol, I hope you can get some sleep soon. I take a Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep. If I wake up my joints usually ache so I can't go back to sleep. Sometimes I take a regular Tylenol and one Tylenol PM. I take Meloxicam for my arthritis so I can't take ibuprofen. Hope this helps.

DeeDee, what kind of puppy is Noel? She looks like a Maltese. We have been reading about them. Our Pug girl is rapidly declining. :brokenheart: We will travel a lot with our next fur children now that we are retired. We have been reading about breeds that don't shed very much. Pugs are sweet and funny but shed like crazy. Car travel is not much fun with all the fur.

Welcome all new ladies!

Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them. Hugs to all I missed.

Cindy in OK
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good Day Ladies –

It is a scorcher here today, got a good case of heat and humidity!! I got my morning workout done early, 55 minutes on the elliptical. Due to my schedule I am going to try and make it to the YMCA for my circuit training on Weds/Fri. I’ve been really diligent about doing my back exercises and my back really appreciates it.

It may sound strange, but I am really looking forward to my Physical tomorrow, I am hoping the doctor will be able to shed some light or offer suggestions for my recent weight gain.

:wink: Jane – a dozen roses is always a nice surprise.
    :wink: Terewilliams – thanks for sharing the NSV, made me laugh out loud.
    :wink: Carol – may be silly, but I put a few drops of lavender on my pillow case and the scent helps me to drift off.

Have a great day and stay cool.
    Suzy
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of signatures from NC - what parts? I'm South Charlotte.

I can't keep up w/everyone on the thread but I do like to read through on my lunch break.

I'm up to 6x per week at the gym now - it was all I could make myself go twice a week for quite a while. I've been doing bootcamp M.W.F, Body Pump T. Th. and Insanity on Saturdays. It's what finally helped me turn the corner on losing weight. I was stuck at a 5 lb loss from January until May and since I've amped it up I'm down another 11 woot woot!

I am so impressed with these tickers showing all these pounds shed - It has really inspired me to believe I can reach my goal!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I just happened on to the thread on MFP. I will be 52 in November. You all sound like you have it so together. I have struggled with weight all of my life. I used to be able to get by with anything I needed to, but now the weight is starting to limit me physically. On vacation a month ago, my son & I were going to ride a roller coaster & I couldn't because they couldn't get the harness fastened tight enough. Boy was that a downer & very embarrassing! I need all of the support and encouragement I can get. Hope it is okay to join this blog.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome any new ladies!!
    Have a good day.
    Waiting for grandpa to come over.Violet wants to buy him an ice cream cone after work.
    HUGS
    jane