Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• Dregg
    Dregg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We could bring back Firefly...this post is growing rapidly. I loved that show. Stargate SG1 is my favorite show ever. I own all the seasons and still watch them occasionally. I was watching Revolution, but it just got cancelled, just like Stargate Universe, Legend of the Seeker, and basically every show that I loved to watch. =(
    At least Once Upon a Time is still going strong.

Any Naruto fans? I love that show too. Anyone play Hearthstone? Not quite like MtG, but it reminds me of the game a lot.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    We could bring back Firefly...this post is growing rapidly. I loved that show. Stargate SG1 is my favorite show ever. I own all the seasons and still watch them occasionally. I was watching Revolution, but it just got cancelled, just like Stargate Universe, Legend of the Seeker, and basically every show that I loved to watch. =(

Any Naruto fans? I love that show too. Anyone play Hearthstone? Not quite like MtG, but it reminds me of the game a lot.

If this gets too long you can always go over to:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21869-nerds-unite

We have a few different topics going on over there at the moment.

I sometimes watch Castle with my wife waiting for Serenity to swoop down and take them all into outer space... hasn't happened yet.
  • Dregg
    Dregg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome, I will now think of that every time I watch Castle.
  • segovm
    Options
    That would be awesome, I will now think of that every time I watch Castle.

The drop in Firefly references for us from time to time... blue gloved hands, brown coats, a little chinese cursing.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I'm almost through Dollhouse... another Joss Whedon show that was canceled very quickly. It's almost hard to keep watching, knowing that it won't be resolved.

It reminds me of when I watched BSG, knowing that it turned to crap and people rarely finished it the entire series. I need to start watching things as they come out, and not years later.
  • segovm
    Options

I'm almost through Dollhouse... another Joss Whedon show that was canceled very quickly. It's almost hard to keep watching, knowing that it won't be resolved.

It reminds me of when I watched BSG, knowing that it turned to crap and people rarely finished it the entire series. I need to start watching things as they come out, and not years later.

I don't know that BSG necessarily turned to crap so much as they NEVER expected to be on for so long and added quite a bit of filler to get from here to there. There are a few mid-series shows that do nothing to really add to the series but even though the end was a little "out there" at least for once a popular Sci-Fi show got to put a bow on their ending without leaving us all heart broken with another midseason cancellation.

Unrelated to anything but my favorite episode of the series was probably the mid-series rescue from New Caprica... thought they outdid themselves on that one.
  • catestevam
    catestevam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm a gamer and a trekkie...does that qualify me as nerd? ADD ME! I have about 40 pounds to lose, so the more friends to motivate me the better! :)

Cat
  • MTmom67
    MTmom67 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey there, folks! I am an old school nerd and proud of it! I am into Star Wars, Star Trek, paranormal topics, cryptozoology. I've been a member on MFP but only used it on my iPhone. My main reason for losing weight is that I am slated to play a StarShip Captain for a fan made trek web series. Unfortunately, folks in the 23rd Century are very sizeist! I don't expect to look Jeri Ryan skinny, but to have a nice figure like Capt. Janeway would be nice!
  • MTmom67
    MTmom67 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey there, folks! I am an old school nerd and proud of it! I am into Star Wars, Star Trek, paranormal topics, cryptozoology. I've been a member on MFP but only used it on my iPhone. My main reason for losing weight is that I am slated to play a StarShip Captain for a fan made trek web series. Unfortunately, folks in the 23rd Century are very sizeist! I don't expect to look Jeri Ryan skinny, but to have a nice figure like Capt. Janeway would be nice! :smile:
  • PandaFat2Fit
    PandaFat2Fit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Shannon, 23, and I have a little less than 60lbs left to lose :) I'm a huge gamer. I play Battlefield, Call of Duty:ghosts (I hate that game, I'm a snob, but I do play it.). Pokemon, animal crossing, Disney's magical kingdom, etc... On the 3ds. I'm also huge into FF series, including my Moogle tattoo. I played ffxiv for awhile, but like my WoW days, I just can't see paying anymore.
    I also play pathfinder on Mondays, BESM and Werewolf on Wednesdays. Once a month or so, we get together to play board games like Munchkin, Ticket to Ride, 7 wonders...etc...
    I play magic the gathering semi professionally. I have taken a year break, but before that I was top 8ing a lot in my local got, pts, and I got top 64 twice at star city games open. I still watch for the new stuff, but recent sets have bored me, theros was definitely not as exciting of a block. I don't play MTG for fun anymore because of Male harassment and stupid jerks threatening me because I'm an excellent female player. My life is worth more than that.
    I self identify as a feminist, and that's important in gaming culture because it's a boy's club, so many women are gamers, I can't even state how important it is that our voices are heard and we aren't pushed under by patriarchal society anymore. Go girls :).
  • rystraum
    rystraum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 24 and I don't really have any weight targets, I'm just looking to increase my strength and drop my BF% but that's precisely why I keep track of my food here in MFP.

I'm a programmer. I also play various MMORPGs and some video games. I'm currently on Aura Kingdom and Kingdom Under Fire. I play Don't Starve (ha!) on and off the past year. I don't get to play as much as I like because of programming but I love my job equally so I don't really lose out on anything. My roommates watch the latest anime (the ones that also air in Japan and gets subbed by volunteers) and I watch along with them. I'm not really into passive entertainment but once it's there, I consume it regardless.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

This is why I haven't started Dollhouse or Firefly. I'll be sad because they are over after a short run.
  • Menix8
    Options
    I don't know that BSG necessarily turned to crap so much as they NEVER expected to be on for so long and added quite a bit of filler to get from here to there. There are a few mid-series shows that do nothing to really add to the series but even though the end was a little "out there" at least for once a popular Sci-Fi show got to put a bow on their ending without leaving us all heart broken with another midseason cancellation.

Unrelated to anything but my favorite episode of the series was probably the mid-series rescue from New Caprica... thought they outdid themselves on that one.

See, I loved the first season of BSG so much. I think the Kobol episodes were some of my favorites. I just felt this "switch" in season 3, and I disliked where they took some of the characters. It just didn't float my boat. I think you're right about run-time though; I wonder how the show would have turned out if they completed it in three seasons, or maybe even two.

This is why I haven't started Dollhouse or Firefly. I'll be sad because they are over after a short run.

Firefly is totally and completely worth it; largely because the movie Serenity wraps up ALMOST everything. That, and it's just an awesome, awesome universe.

I'll let you know about Dollhouse once I finish it. I confess, I was super bored for the first five or six episodes, but it got way better after the exposition.
  • BrittanyMault1990
    Options
    Hello! :3
    My names Brittany but a lot of my friends call me Venom from several games I play/played. Im trying to lose weight (obviously) to just feel better about myself and to look better! I enjoy MMORPG's mainly PC, but I also love my xbox! Big anime fan, one of my favs is probably Evangelion </thumbsup> . I also enjoy playing volleyball and hanging out with my friends. I love to cosplay! the last convention I attended as Android 18 ;P Well that's pretty much all I can think of at the moment, any more questions you can surely ask me ^.^
  • segovm
    Options
    Firefly is totally and completely worth it; largely because the movie Serenity wraps up ALMOST everything. That, and it's just an awesome, awesome universe.

Agreed... but aren't you still a little curious to know who Shepard Book was? There's actually a Firefly comic I haven't read yet that is supposed to give the back story. It's the last piece of Firefly I haven't seen yet. I don't know if I am ready to read it and close things out completely yet... I'm still in mourning.
  • Menix8
    Options
    Agreed... but aren't you still a little curious to know who Shepard Book was? There's actually a Firefly comic I haven't read yet that is supposed to give the back story. It's the last piece of Firefly I haven't seen yet. I don't know if I am ready to read it and close things out completely yet... I'm still in mourning.

I was most disappointed by the lack of explanation surrounding the Hands of Blue, but now that you mention it, yes, there was a lot of... unfinished business with Shepard Book. Having consumed nothing beyond the series and movie, I predict he has some origin story similar to Han Solo, except he becomes a Shepard instead of a smuggler.

I also wish there had been more time to delve into River's psyche. Oh, well. Now Joss is off doing mainstream superhero movies.
  • shellyburger
    shellyburger Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess I identify myself as somewhat of a nerd.
    I've been a huge fan of comic books and video games since I was really young.
    I work at a video game store and it is part of the reason I am so into fitness.
    I am really trying to gain muscle so that I can lift xbox ones and ps4's without the men of the store insisting they should do it instead.
  • JodieLBradbury
    JodieLBradbury Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We named our child Auron and walked down the isle to Final Fantasy music. Does this class me as a nerd?
  • segovm
    Options
    I was most disappointed by the lack of explanation surrounding the Hands of Blue, but now that you mention it, yes, there was a lot of... unfinished business with Shepard Book. Having consumed nothing beyond the series and movie, I predict he has some origin story similar to Han Solo, except he becomes a Shepard instead of a smuggler.

I also wish there had been more time to delve into River's psyche. Oh, well. Now Joss is off doing mainstream superhero movies.

For me, I found it easiest to imagine that Shepard Book was a retired fixer, like the antagonist in the last movie. Someone who lived his life in service to the Alliance but did such horrible things for them he would never be in their service again.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Emily, 21, and don't really have a specific big goal. I'm just losing in 5-10 pound intervals until I'm happy with how I look and feel! Not new to MFP though! But could always use some more friends.
    I'm a pretty big nerd. I used to go to anime conventions and cosplay (still do a bit of cosplay with friends now and again, I just can't afford to go to cons). I enjoy comics a lot, though I don't get to read them very often any more because of school, but I still read them now and again. Saga, Homestuck, and Strong Theory are the big ones for me right now (I make time for those).
    Also a big bookworm, same deal as comics though, I don't have as much time to read. Young adult novels and classic novels are what I like best. And Shakespeare.
    Also I'm a big art nerd.

TV Shows I like include: Supernatural, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Merlin, Once Upon a Time, Orange is the New Black, etc.
    Video games I love include: Assassin's Creed, Last of Us, and Sims. Sims single handedly ruins my entire day. Not such thing as playing Sims for an hour.

To sum: College is awesome but it stole away all the money and time I spent on being a geek.