Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options
I knew it! All the people on here trash talking diet soda.

"Makes you crave sugar...It's poison...Causes you to bloat..." blah, blah, blah.

This study PROVES that diet soda drinkers lose more weight on average than those who just drank water while dieting. Case closed!

Stop trash talking diet soda! I love Diet Pepsi and have lost almost 80 lbs in 7.5 months while drinking it. ;-)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/wellness/health/2014/05/31/study-reported-people-drinking-diet-soda-lost-weight-drinking-water/9787445/

Replies

• dtorocol
    dtorocol Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't have to read the study.
    Good luck with all the trash chemicals Diet Pepsi has (Aspartame, etc...)

Water has no long term effects, we need it. Biology says it's a fundamental need for life.

Just keep drinking Diet Pepsi for years and years and only you will see the long-term effects of so much Diet Pepsi
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested enough to read that whole article, but could it be that the people drinking diet soda would normally have been drinking regular soda, and therefore their calories were reduced even more by drinking the diet? I'm not convinced that adding diet soda to my diet will increase my weight loss, which is what the study suggests.

I don't think diet soda is bad for you, in and of itself. Everything in moderation and all. I have a couple diet sodas a month just because I find regular soda too sweet (although my husband says this is because I don't add enough whiskey to it) >.<
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Stop trash talking diet soda! I love Diet Pepsi and have lost almost 80 lbs in 7.5 months while drinking it. ;-)

I saw that on the news the other morning. I started drinking diet soda 35 years ago. I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and regular soda wasn't an option after that point in time. I have also lost 110 pounds in a year. Well, not from diet soda but from the change of diet and exercise. :laugh:

I haven't sprouted a third eye, tail or glow in the dark from diet soda. :drinker:
  • violetbluemornings
    violetbluemornings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drank diet pepsi for 25 years. 2 litre a day or so lol Nothing wrong with me health wise. It also never deterred me from losing weight. I only stopped drinking it because of financial reasons. Wanted to put more money back into my budget. I still enjoy a diet soda from time to time.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Water has no long term effects, we need it. Biology says it's a fundamental need for life.

Just keep drinking Diet Pepsi for years and years and only you will see the long-term effects of so much Diet Pepsi

So what are the long term affects? Where are your links to studies that prove any detrimental long term affects?

What about the chemicals they put in water these days?

Not fussed either way because I don't often drink any soda but just because we believe things are true does not make them so
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    And the cleanest stomaches lol
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Who funded this thing?
  • kkozla
    kkozla Posts: 1
    Options
    Just so you know that study was funded by the American Beverage Association (or the soda companies).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/27/health/diet-soda-weight-loss/
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/28/316321004/industry-study-finds-diet-drinks-help-dieters-shed-more-lbs-than-water

It MAY be biased.

I am not saying it is or it isn't as I myself do drink diet soda (even though I am trying to back off of aspartame and get on natural sugar free sweeteners).

I am just saying I would like to see a study done by a third party who has no interest one way or the other. Otherwise it is just like we are asking the Tobacco company to do a study on how bad Nicotine really is for us.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

And those long term effects would be…? Diet sodas have been around for decades, people have been drinking them for decades, we should have more than enough case studies available if there were any data indicating diet soda had negative health effects from long-term consumption.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Lol, this is so funny. I keep my diet soda drinking in the closet. It definitely helped me lose 14 pounds. But I only mention it in hushed tones.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Right, this one study (by the American Beverage Association, no less) proves that once and for all.

You do realize that this study is getting published merely for the fact that it's result is controversial, right? There are many other studies that show no correlation whatsoever. And even if they did, correlation=/=causation. Eating ice cream doesn't cause polio: http://theglyptodon.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/polio-caused-by-ice-cream/

Nice try. Enjoy your cancer.
  • BCLION515
    BCLION515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife got sick and almost died drinking Diet Pepsi. Most Diet Sodas have NutraSweet (Aspartame) in them and NutraSweet contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) as one of its ingredients. MSG works directly on your nervous system to make you think something taste better. My wife was an Epileptic and the MSG in the NutraSweet caused her to get very ill and actually may have been part of the reason for her early demise at age 53. NutraSweet is very dangerous and should be banned from the market and all Diet Sodas should be also unless the makers can find a safer sweetener to use in them.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I NEED DIET SODA FOR MY VODKA

Sugar Free Red Bull and Vodka for the win!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My wife got sick and almost died drinking Diet Pepsi. Most Diet Sodas have NutraSweet (Aspartame) in them and NutraSweet contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) as one of its ingredients. MSG works directly on your nervous system to make you think something taste better. My wife was an Epileptic and the MSG in the NutraSweet caused her to get very ill and actually may have been part of the reason for her early demise at age 53. NutraSweet is very dangerous and should be banned from the market and all Diet Sodas should be also unless the makers can find a safer sweetener to use in them.

MSG is in a lot of things.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

My father and my brother both have violent reactions to aspartame, causing headaches, nausea, dizziness, and even paranoia. My mother used to get headaches from eating taco bell before they stopped putting MSG in their food. These man-made "flavorings" are scary science experiments gone wrong.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

So because SOME people can't handle it ALL of it should be regulated for ALL people? Hell nah.