Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options

Replies

• 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I will stick with water....
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The study is NOT conclusive, but it is interesting. I think it merits further investigation.

LOL. The results of their study is conclusive...those who only drank water in their study lost less weight than those who only drank water!

The study didn't include scientific findings or evidence as to WHY this was the case ;-)

For those of you who refuse to accept the findings because the study is "biased" because it was funded by the National Beverage Association, remember this one little fact, the National Beverage Association represents those companies (Coca-Cola & Pepsi) who are the biggest bottled water distributors in the world ;-)

Right, but you can get water out of a tap for free. You can't get Diet Coke for free. So there's no incentive to promote water consumption there, is there?

I'd like to see how "weight loss" was determined. Whether it was a body fat analysis or just stepping on a scale. Because if these people drank that much Diet Coke for 12 weeks it's likely they were dehydrated and that their "weight loss" was actually water loss.

Sorry. The study is faulty by design and meant to produce a favorable result.

Why do you assume they were dehydrated? They weren't avoiding water.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    flat out a money thing .and people that are ok with it just dont wsnt to stop so now theres a study that comfirms that they dont need to stop its money and one can do a study .drink away .do what you want its your life your health but lets be real here .its not safe
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Sure, what science would you like? Science on people choosing bad habits over science?

Doug Lisle is the head of this field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The study is NOT conclusive, but it is interesting. I think it merits further investigation.

LOL. The results of their study is conclusive...those who only drank water in their study lost less weight than those who only drank water!

The study didn't include scientific findings or evidence as to WHY this was the case ;-)

For those of you who refuse to accept the findings because the study is "biased" because it was funded by the National Beverage Association, remember this one little fact, the National Beverage Association represents those companies (Coca-Cola & Pepsi) who are the biggest bottled water distributors in the world ;-)

Right, but you can get water out of a tap for free. You can't get Diet Coke for free. So there's no incentive to promote water consumption there, is there?

I'd like to see how "weight loss" was determined. Whether it was a body fat analysis or just stepping on a scale. Because if these people drank that much Diet Coke for 12 weeks it's likely they were dehydrated and that their "weight loss" was actually water loss.

Sorry. The study is faulty by design and meant to produce a favorable result.

How do you know they were dehydrated? Generally anyone in a caloric deficit will experience a "water weight" loss due to a depletion in glycogen stores. Both sides of the study were in a deficit.
  • Fionahatch
    Fionahatch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please, quick show of "bumps" if you know anyone who has EVER DIED of aspertame?

Anyone? Anyone know of anyone close to them who has DIED of aspertame?

So here is my evidence. Aspartame is so bad for you, it increases your life probabilty chance of developing brain cancer (and others) as well as be severely bad for depressed people. You may not be depressed, but this has to make you think, why does a sweetener cause such damage to them. Clearly if its not good for them, it is not good for the rest of the population.

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/0006-3223(93)90251-8/abstract

Drink water.

(I'm not new to myfitnesspal but I have only recently started using it consistently. I'm a research doctor in cardiology and would welcome feedback, friend requests and comments).

Ok the question was do YOU know anyone PERSONALLY who has died and on their death bed was told they died from ASPERTAME?

I did not ask for study information

Do YOU personally know anyone who died from it?

You will never know of someone that dies directly of aspartame. It is not a bullet, it will not kill you instantly. It'll cause you to have more mutations (therefore cancer). It'll affect your neurons (brain + mood swings). As with many chemicals, these do not kill you instantly, you just die from cancer or other illnesses in the future.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    flat out a money thing .and people that are ok with it just dont wsnt to stop so now theres a study that comfirms that they dont need to stop its money and one can do a study .drink away .do what you want its your life your health but lets be real here .its not safe

Science?
  • wheird
    Options
    Sure, what science would you like? Science on people choosing bad habits over science?

A youtube video is not science.

Sry.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    The content of the video IS based on science. Try watching it before you reject it. You might learn how to be healthy.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    ^Exactly (@whierd) - Plus some science related to the "chemical ****storm" he mentioned would have been more apropos
  • wheird
    Options
    The content of the video IS based on science. Try watching it before you reject it. You might learn how to be healthy.

Link the study that the science is based on please.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Please, quick show of "bumps" if you know anyone who has EVER DIED of aspertame?

So here is my evidence. Aspartame is so bad for you, it increases your life probabilty chance of developing brain cancer (and others) as well as be severely bad for depressed people. You may not be depressed, but this has to make you think, why does a sweetener cause such damage to them. Clearly if its not good for them, it is not good for the rest of the population.

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/0006-3223(93)90251-8/abstract

Drink water.

(I'm not new to myfitnesspal but I have only recently started using it consistently. I'm a research doctor in cardiology and would welcome feedback, friend requests and comments).

Ok the question was do YOU know anyone PERSONALLY who has died and on their death bed was told they died from ASPERTAME?

You will never know of someone that dies directly of aspartame. It is not a bullet, it will not kill you instantly. It'll cause you to have more mutations (therefore cancer). It'll affect your neurons (brain + mood swings). As with many chemicals, these do not kill you instantly, you just die from cancer or other illnesses in the future.

How exactly does it "affect neurons"? Also, if I avoid all chemicals I am guaranteed not to die of cancer or any other illnesses in the future?

Sorry, causation =/= correlation
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eh...this is old news actually this was on the new 2 weeks ago.

But to be frank I will continue to drink diet coke...because I like it...not because it's diet.

I drank diet coke while I was fat, while I lost weight and now that I am at maitenance...and water too...and it's that dirty ole tap water at that...with ice made from it.

Drinking diet soda does not guarantee weight loss, all the study said was that it shows that if you don't give up those things you love you are less likely to substitute something of greater caloric values...easy peasy.

On that note *slurps diet coke down* not sure why are the scare mongering here...diet soda has been great for those who have diabetes...and have shown over the last 25 years no adverse effects to those who have drank it all that time...

My brother for example, even tho he is a diabetic and has been since he was young is the epitome of health (save the diabetes)...that to me is enough proof (along with my own personal exp) that diet soda is fine...

*checks for extra appendage...*

Nope nothing there...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The study you mention
    was paid for by the American Beverage Council, so it's not surprising that the results support their position...just sayin'.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v38/n5/full/ijo201432a.html

"In summary, what are the best practices for ensuring a strong, unbiased body of obesity research? Certainly not refusing funding from those who wish to collaborate with scientists in becoming part of the solution; absolutely not by launching unsubstantiated attacks on reputable scientists with longstanding records of ethical conduct and meaningful scientific contribution; rather, it is first by giving funding source its proper position among many possible and equally important threats to objectivity and implementing safeguards to protect against such bias (and worse yet malfeasance). Second, we need to redouble our efforts to adhere to the basic principles of good science like reproducibility, replicability and other core evaluative procedures that ensure objective and reliable scientific reporting. Finally, we need to work toward open access to data regardless of its source. This will require the cooperation of those in the scientific community and among potential sources of funding. Ultimately, this type of transparency regardless of funding source will deliver a more robust and complete body of evidence. In short, scientists need to practice good science, sponsors must commit to transparency and noninfluence, media needs to practice responsible scientific journalism, and we all need to base our evaluations on scientific data and not on predetermined opinions rooted in our own emotion-laden bias for or against specific funding sources."
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I will stick with water....

+1

long term consistent drinking of diet drinks did yuckie things to me. when i gave them up, my health improved. i still have lasting negative effects in some areas, but some areas improved. I'll repeat... I will stick with water...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

for shish and giggles i watched the entire thing

......and i'm waiting tell me how it was relevant to the this thread? forget that there wasn't any actual science presented (ideas, sure, but not the science) i'm just trying to figure out the relevance. it was "we like stuff that we like" and i saw nothing about diet soda?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No pop unless I'm getting hammered. Water for life guys.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    oh, and the youtube video didn't teach me how to be healthy either. perhaps i'm just dense?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I stopped worrying about studies.
  • Fionahatch
    Fionahatch Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Drink water.

How exactly does it "affect neurons"? Also, if I avoid all chemicals I am guaranteed not to die of cancer or any other illnesses in the future?

Sorry, causation =/= correlation

You are less likely to die of cancer or other illnesses if you minimise your exposure to chemicals or your intake of proven harmful chemicals. Naturally you're exposed to numerous chemicals just by living, so you still have an increased chance on top of your genetically programmed chance of getting cancer.

I do not understand how you can say causation does not equal correlation. This is like saying a person smoked 100 cigarettes and day and got lung cancer at 45 but for you the lung cancer had nothing to do with him smoking.

And lastly regarding the neurons, the study on mood swings and brain cancer states what it does to the neurons so you can read the paper. Otherwise another more severe study where you can actually look at the brain slices showed necrosis in mice. Meaning an increase in neuronal death. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0300483X83900434)