Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    There has been too much debate over whether or not artificial sweeteners can cause disease, so I simply stay away. Makes sense to me.

So...then...by your words you would then be avoiding pretty much every food available...which was the point of his thread. All the makings of Aspartame all ready happen naturally in all the food you eat.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Why even risk it? After all, it still is a possible carcinogen. I stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I only eat the real stuff.

The only thing arguably toxic in the byproducts of aspartame is methanol which you can find much more of in fruit than in a can of diet soda. So unless you are avoiding fruit because "why risk it?" I have to question your logic there.

It isn't logical. It's pascal's wager. Whether or not that's a problem is a larger question.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    aspartame.jpg

aspatame_metab.gif

Can no longer edit my original post so here is a graphic of the metabolic breakdown of aspartame into phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol.

Having real issues to get those images to resize to look good here but that last one is its breakdown to those three metabolites and the first one is where those metabolites come from in the original molecule.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Minor threadjack, since Pascal's wager is new to me--

Is it Pascal's wager? Don't both sides have to be indefensible by reason (going off of Wikipedia, so I'm trying to understand an area well outside my comfort zone). One side, aspartame is harmless is supported by reason (science). The opposite, that it is harmful, is not, rather being based on supposition unsupported by science? Is it still Pascal's wager? Just curious, I really don't know.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to ingest something that needs a defense like that?

Explaining facts =/= defense.

As I said if someone can give me FACTS as to what aspartame does that is not good for me I will make more of an effort to avoid it. Like I said before, I don't really ingest that much in the first place as I don't drink soda and simply prefer the flavor of sugar.

Logical fallacies are not facts.