Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    No because they have lots of sugar and sugar is bad for you

Carbohydrates are essential for your survival, I would hardly refer to them as being "bad for you" anymore than I would refer to water as being bad for you because you can drown.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

...it can be hard to tell sometimes sadly.

This is true. This is why I have been working on incorporating more emoji's.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    From an earlier post referring to aspartame as sugar thought I'd take that as a teachable moment and do a little easy intro to biochem.

Sugar are saccharides and are also known by their more scientific name of carbohydrates. Most scientific names have actual meaning and carbohydrate isn't an exception. All carbohydrates share the same basic chemical make up. They are carbon (carbo-) that is hydrated (-hydrate). So all carbohydrates (all sugars) have the molecular formula of carbon plus water times some number x so CxH2xOx.

For example glucose is C6H12O6.

This is aspartame.

1200px-Aspartame.svg.png

Also can be written as C14H18N2O5. Not a sugar. It has nitrogen, it has a lot more carbon than it has oxygen and fewer hydrogens than an equivalent sugar.

How about maltose? C12H22O11. Yes, that is a sugar.

How about starch. Starch is a bunch of sugars linked together (also known as a polysaccharide) and with each link a water molecule is subtracted. So starch has the formula of (C6H10O5)x which if you notice is just C6H12O6 minus one water for the linkage times the number of C6H12O6 molecules linked together.

So now, in theory, you can answer for yourself if something is a sugar by just looking at its molecular formula.

But yeah, all carbohydrates are sugar. Be they in the form of a potato or pasta or table sugar its going to end up the same after digestion. Something you'd never think if you just read online articles and CNN editorials which seem to act like sugar and carbohydrates are two completely different things for some reason.

This. This is why I love mfp.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    As an example if I published a very strong correlation that suicides by hanging, strangulation and suffocation have strong correlation to the number of lawyers in vermont (http://tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=3857) and implied in my "study" that this might be causative then you would rightfully be skeptical and expect to make such a claim I would need to first explain exactly HOW one would cause the other and then show secondary evidence through an actual study testing my model of cause in some way.
    Two things can also be related without either one causing the other. Often that happens when some important third factor causes one or both. For example, suppose someone surveyed the shirt sizes of all men who have entered the Boston marathon for the past 20 years and discovered that no one who wears a size XXL or larger has ever been one of the first 10 finishers. Bigger shirt sizes correlate to slower finish times, but it doesn't mean big shirts are slowing the runners down. It also doesn't mean that someone can get better at marathon running by buying smaller shirts.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Something really is off for me, why do I need this new thing to use when I have sugar ?

Because for people like my grandparents, or some of the people in my church, or some of the people I know in the community around me they have diabetes and either has the choice of only having non-sweet things, or find a non-sugar sweetener. The other group is those looking to lose weight, this is zero calories allowing them to have the mental enjoyment of a sweet drink or food without having the calories that sugar would add.

Frankly, I prefer diet sodas. Occasionally I have a sugar sweetened one, and find I just don't like it. On the other hand, a diet Pepsi I quite enjoy, and I find if I have a craving for something sweet, that diet Pepsi will satisfy that craving for me without the calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Carbohydrates are essential for your survival, I would hardly refer to them as being "bad for you" anymore than I would refer to water as being bad for you because you can drown.

MFP really need a sarcasm font :wink:
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

MFP really need a sarcasm font :wink:

5cl0j5ajl10p.jpg
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    How about scientific research that has been published in an accredited peer review paper?

Ciappuccini R, et al. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2010;28(63):S131-133

What we're your thoughts regarding that paper after you read it? Did it cause you concern about your own health or the health of friends/family or others? If so in what way and did you have any lingering questions brought on by your reading of the cited work?