Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    too much phenylalanine causes headaches. that can't be good for you. now there's a study (pertaining to many sugar substitutes not just aspartame but including it) that link sugar substitute consumption to stroke and dementia. not saying the sugar consumers fared much better, but to say aspartame is perfectly safe? it's too bad diet sodas use these chemicals in their product. if they just made less sugary drinks then i would buy them more often. i don't want to give myself brain damage or a brain tumor from drinking soda laced with chemicals and regular soda is too sweet. at least with the sugar if i'm getting similar damage it tastes good. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/diet-sodas-raise-risk-dementia-stroke-study-finds-n749051
    i need to get off my butt and use my soda stream to lessen the sugar in my soda by mixing plain carbonated water in.

Eating too many carrots can turn your skin orange. Does that mean carrots are unhealthy?

And link does not mean cause. Correlation does not mean causation.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    too much phenylalanine causes headaches. that can't be good for you. now there's a study (pertaining to many sugar substitutes not just aspartame but including it) that link sugar substitute consumption to stroke and dementia. not saying the sugar consumers fared much better, but to say aspartame is perfectly safe? it's too bad diet sodas use these chemicals in their product. if they just made less sugary drinks then i would buy them more often. i don't want to give myself brain damage or a brain tumor from drinking soda laced with chemicals and regular soda is too sweet. at least with the sugar if i'm getting similar damage it tastes good. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/diet-sodas-raise-risk-dementia-stroke-study-finds-n749051
    i need to get off my butt and use my soda stream to lessen the sugar in my soda by mixing plain carbonated water in.

You get much MUCH more phenylalanine from protein that you do from aspartame in diet soda no matter how much diet soda you drink. The amount of phenylalanine in a soda is staggeringly small relative to the amount in protein. If you want I can do the math, I think I may have previously somewhere in this thread.

If people get headaches from drinking lots of soda chances are pretty good that the cause is the caffeine given that caffeine is a known cerebral vasoconstrictor.

Eh what the heck I'll just do the math regardless, math is fun.

[snip]

You're a kind and patient man.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

100 grams of chicken breast has ~20 cans of soda's worth of phenylalanine...

Nevermind, Aaron did it first and better.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

100 grams of chicken breast has ~20 cans of soda's worth of phenylalanine...

Nevermind, Aaron did it first and better.

Sometimes short is better.