Anyone in their 40's?

Options

Replies

• kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    46 here, 47 in September. I've been a yo yo dieter for a long time. I am almost to my goal of 185 lbs , it has gotten harder but I'm still sticking with it. The point in my weight loss now, is when I would've started eating whatever I wanted in my past weight loss efforts, so, I am in new territory !
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    45 and I am at my lowest weight since 1999. I have lost a little over 20 pds since November and have about 8 more to go. Yes, we may have to try a little harder or eat a little better to lose the weight, BUT WE CAN DO IT! Do not accept any excuses.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Check out the group "friends in their 40's" . There are a bunch of us....:laugh: :smile:

This. I am 42
  • stevencoulston
    stevencoulston Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    43 i'm afraid, 63lb lost since January
  • LifeHappens40
    Options
    I'm 40 and proud of it :)
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    45 here - started at 194.5 and currently at 187.5 (this morning). I've been taking my time (ie yo-yoing) but kicked my *kitten* in gear about 5 weeks ago and started losing. I want to hit 170. its going to happen this year. I'm positive i can do it this time!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and have lost almost 170 pounds with a thyroid disorder and PCOS over the last 2 years. Wish I had done it sooner too. Anyone feel free to add me. We can all use all the support we can get. :)
  • pattykaye33
    pattykaye33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    44 here, doing what I can to get to where I want to be.
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 53 so a little older and yep metabolism has gone to a standstill. I am in menopause and have thyroid disease which I don't give into as excuses just makes it harder. Having said that, I am having a hard time losing weight. Being up down most of my life I recognize diets don't work. I have always gained the weight back. I use food for everything, and have had a food disorder since middle school. I have become much better at not binging, about 70% healed but my portions are just too much. I want the perks of losing weight but don't have the investment or dedication I used to. I miss the days when losing weight was my only concern and I thought that would change my life. All it does it change my size. Overall, I am a content person and for a long time did not care about the weight. Now, i would like to lose it but just don't know if i care enough. So, that is what i am struggling with. Of course, it is harder as I get older and comes off much slower. So, I need to **** or get off the pot! Thanks for letting me share :) Have a great day everyone!
  • treveneann
    treveneann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i turned 45 yesterday. ( when did that happen?)
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. Can't work out as hard as I used to. I have congestive heart failure as a result of a chronic eating disorder. Trying to do more strength training to boost my metabolism.
  • MelissaB9902
    MelissaB9902 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    43 and just starting on this journey.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am 40 as of last October. On my path to feeling better than I ever have though :). 40's do bring their own unique set of challenges though. Always happy to have new friends in my age range that are active and need/give good support!
  • dawnwalsh10
    dawnwalsh10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years young :-)
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    44 and quite happy with it. I'm in decent shape, in fact in better shape than I was at twenty, just need to get rid of another 15 or so pounds.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

1) your doctor is an idiot

2) find a new doctor

3) losing is no harder at 45 than it was at 20. It's a myth that it's harder. Don't fall for it.

4) you can lose weight by eating less than you burn. IT IS SIMPLE MATH. All it takes is discipline.

What people mean when they say it's harder when you're older is that they are set in their ways and habits and changing those is harder. To that I agree. It takes discipline to make it happen. But, it isn't harder.

I'm 49 and in the best shape of my life. It's actually quite easy. Eat right, and work hard. Watch your calories closely. Everything matters.

Don't fall for fads. Carbs are not the enemy. Too many calories are the enemy.

QFT!! Only in my 40's for a few more months and then it's the big FIVE-OH for me..... but I agree wholeheartedly with what Jerry stated. It's probably harder to change habits and patterns as we get older, but I have no problems losing weight as long as I eat less than I burn.

And I would also have to say that I'm definitely in better shape than I was 20 years ago.... I started working out consistently about 3 years ago and the health benefits go above and beyond just weight loss.
  • wpntgr2
    wpntgr2 Posts: 2
    Options
    41 next week and just started this again today. I really like this app. When I was using it before I was really seeing results. It helps me put more thought into what I eat, plus it will track different essential vitamins. Losing weight is good, but I want to make sure I don't deprive my body of nutrients while I lose the weight. :)
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    nearly 49 here :)
  • evanscrenee
    Options
    47 years old and just started My Fitness Pal yesterday.
  • zuko71
    zuko71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    42 and just joined. Good luck with the journey everybody