Is fruit fattening?

Options

Replies

• Cycle4Life99
    Options
    I like fruit! It is actually pretty filling. The secret is, as always, portion control. Fruits have fiber and necessary vitamins. I wouldn't get caught up on "fattening" I just had some pineapple for a snack (7 oz) and it hit the spot and only 70 calories.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid fruit. Fruit has fiber and vitamins that your body needs.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat sweets all the time. I'm down 6 pounds since the beginning of May and 20 since last August. I love fruit, but I also love candy. As long as I log it accurately, it hasn't slowed me down when I eat more of one.

Weight loss is about deficit. As long as you're getting the minimum for nutrition, it doesn't really matter if you have one kind of sugar over another. Just log it.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you are young,Sugar won't affect you as much for weight loss.

Some folks are sensitive to blood sugar spikes(not talking about diabetes),,if they are sensitive they are better off with low glycemic index foods.On a different note,sugar reduces the effect of stomach acid in digesting food,again this is at a molecular level and won't necessarily show any effect if you are young.

I eat upto 3- fruits each day,I can handle certain types of sweets and candy and some throw my sugar levels off(i experience yawning,sluggishness and sleep after eating)-I avoid those I can't handle and eat those I can,but limit them to 1-2 pieces a day.
    If you have digestive issues maybe it would help to reduce sugar intake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is not the same as sugar in soda. There are various types of sugar. But the biggest difference is not the sugar itself, but the package it comes in.

Sugar in liquids like soda is very quickly absorbed and causes a sharp rise in blood glucose, followed by a sharp drop. And soda has little nutrition to offer other than sugar.

Sugar in fruit comes with fiber and micronutrients. The fiber can slow digestion and release glucose to the blood stream more slowly.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 pieces of fruit in the day, as snacks is fine. Fructose (fruit sugar) is nothing like the refined white sugar you get in a packet.

Dont worry about the sugar in Fruit, there are alot more good nutrients in fruit alongside the sugar content, whereas refined sugar contains nothing.

Another tip is to vary the fruit you eat. Dont just stick to the normal Apples, Bananas and oranges. Try Grapefruits, Pineapples, Papaya, Kiwi, Berry fruits, dried fruits, peaches, plums, avacadoes and so on. Papaya is very good for you girlies, as it combats the bloating women experience every month.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. It doesn't matter where those calories come from.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    lemonade-sugar_zps6f75267b.gif
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    the sugars in fruits are WAY healthier than all the sugars found in artificial processed junk. even if you eat the same number of calories and sugar from an apple and some synthesised piece of crap in a plastic wrapper that probably contains all sorts of chemicals that mess up your hormones and may lead to weight gain in the long term , im all in on natural healthy whole foods

I raise your run on sentence with 4 twinkies. 4 twinkies vs the same calories and sugar content as fruit. Difference? Fruit will probably have more vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The sugar will be digested the same. My body doesn't care where it comes from. If I've already gotten the necessary nutrients my body needs, there's nothing wrong with twinkies within my calorie goal.

If you're getting your daily nutrients (aka all the vitamins, minerals, etc) that your body needs, there's nothing wrong with any food. You can label it, demonize it, maybe even put some devil horns on it, it doesn't matter. Calories in vs out for weight loss. Balancing your nutrient intake for health.

This isn't exactly true. First off, highly processed foods will cause an insulin spike which can increase your desire for more food. Also, you are creating a lot of free-radicals during its metabolization, and it will have little or no anti-oxidants in the food to counter the free-radicals. So, it has a much greater negative effect on the body than foods loaded with micro-nutrients.

Studies suggest that certain foods will increase weight gain even when adjusted for total energy input. The EPIC study suggests that meat, poultry, oils, and processed sugars caused increase in weight despite the same number of calories consumed when compared to plant-based whole foods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592131
  • milenealves
    Options
    as long as you don't eat high fat foods (i.e.. meat, processed foods, etc) you should be fine..
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Don't forget koolaid!

iop4xj.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    the sugars in fruits are WAY healthier than all the sugars found in artificial processed junk. even if you eat the same number of calories and sugar from an apple and some synthesised piece of crap in a plastic wrapper that probably contains all sorts of chemicals that mess up your hormones and may lead to weight gain in the long term , im all in on natural healthy whole foods

I raise your run on sentence with 4 twinkies. 4 twinkies vs the same calories and sugar content as fruit. Difference? Fruit will probably have more vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The sugar will be digested the same. My body doesn't care where it comes from. If I've already gotten the necessary nutrients my body needs, there's nothing wrong with twinkies within my calorie goal.

If you're getting your daily nutrients (aka all the vitamins, minerals, etc) that your body needs, there's nothing wrong with any food. You can label it, demonize it, maybe even put some devil horns on it, it doesn't matter. Calories in vs out for weight loss. Balancing your nutrient intake for health.

This isn't exactly true. First off, highly processed foods will cause an insulin spike which can increase your desire for more food. Also, you are creating a lot of free-radicals during its metabolization, and it will have little or no anti-oxidants in the food to counter the free-radicals. So, it has a much greater negative effect on the body than foods loaded with micro-nutrients.

Studies suggest that certain foods will increase weight gain even when adjusted for total energy input. The EPIC study suggests that meat, poultry, oils, and processed sugars caused increase in weight despite the same number of calories consumed when compared to plant-based whole foods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592131

Oh, well I guess I can put back on my 53 lbs then, cause calorie counting was all a lie
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    as long as you don't eat high fat foods (i.e.. meat, processed foods, etc) you should be fine..

Oh ya, because fat makes you...fat... except it doesnt...

As long as you eat a well balanced diet and keep a calorie deficit, you'll probably survive the processfoodacolypse
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Don't forget koolaid!

iop4xj.gif
    I like it. Sometimes I have trouble opening a bottle of wine
    h724076B8
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Don't forget koolaid!

iop4xj.gif
    h724076B8

Creeps me out BIG time!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    oh gosh no fruit aint fattening lmao!! You already know its good for you.... sugar in sodas and fruit are very different. I mean eat what you want just eat within your macros and calories. there is always some new study and some stupid bs about oh water is bad for you ohh this bad for you blah blah. Eat clean and keep treats to a moderation.. simple
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh, well I guess I can put back on my 53 lbs then, cause calorie counting was all a lie
    [/quote]

Nobody suggested that calorie counting won't work. However, it isn't the easiest way. I counted calories for a long time and would lose weight, then gain it back when I stopped counting. Now I eat as much food as I want and have no problem remaining lean. I just eat foods that have a lot of nutrients. Mostly raw fruits and vegetables, and occasionally some nuts. I still eat some processed crap once in a great while, but it is certainly not part of my lifestyle. Someone is having a party and they have a vegan cupcake, and I won't deny myself. But that is less than once a month.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Don't forget koolaid!

iop4xj.gif
    h724076B8

Creeps me out BIG time!
    Sure. Get down on a goat for having a nice meal. Next you'll tell me having breakfast and reading the morning paper is creepy, too.
    129487.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Don't forget koolaid!

iop4xj.gif
    h724076B8

Creeps me out BIG time!
    Sure. Get down on a goat for having a nice meal. Next you'll tell me having breakfast and reading the morning paper is creepy, too.
    129487.gif

My pants always go missing when wine is involved
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mvwfh4bzk71qg5ea1o1_400.gif