Confused about diet soda (coke, pepsi etc)

Options

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I dropped caffeine a few year ago for health reasons, and have cut way back on aspartame for migraine headaches. I don't miss either. I drink one soda a week with pizza night. I drink so little of it that the brand doesn't mean as much to me as the ingredient list...often Diet Rite is the best choice for me: no aspartame, no caffeine. I also like the new flavored seltzer water's available. I feel better as a whole without them.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is much better than Diet Coke
    No no no...you meant diet mt dew is better than diet coke!

More like Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry is better than all of those!
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I remember there was a report a few years back about carbonated beverages being detrimental to bone strength. That urban legend was debunked. Then, another study came to light regarding carbonated diet drinks contributing to the onset of gallstones. Also debunked. ETC., ETC. I think I'll stick to "my type" of drink!

For those of you who can't/won't tolerate aspartame, there are several pretty good diet sodas out there that are aspartame-free. Stevia is the sweetening agent. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fairway (in NY) all have them. Health food stores probably carry them, too. They're more expensive than the big jugs of Diet Coke, but if you're trying to cut down on this kind of stuff, you may find this conveniently self-limiting (to be savored rather than guzzled).

PS-- I prefer just a splash of caffeine-free Diet Coke in my Jack Daniel's (when I want to waste my calories on alcohol...)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is much better than Diet Coke

I'm sorry but Coke Zero is the best of all. :drinker:
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Try adding pieces of fruit to your water and chill. Strawberries, oranges, lemon, cucumber,lime or mint are all yummy.
    Kombucha is natural, low calorie, fizzy and has probiotics!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love Coke Zero and usually average one can a day. I still plan on drinking it, but now am also drinking carbonated flavored waters such as the ones in the Sparkling Ice line which have awesome flavors. Eventually, I'd like to move more toward water infused with fresh fruit. I used to be much better at drinking that, but it was a bit of a hassle to cut up fruit every morning for my water bottle.

I don't really believe that we should avoid all fake sugars - all things in moderation is what I go by. However, I've read that the taste of fake sugar will confuse your body, causing it to not respond to real sugars as well. Also, it could cause more weight gain since it will cause cravings for sweet things. Examples of references include:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/health/artificial-sweeteners-soda/
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I remember there was a report a few years back about carbonated beverages being detrimental to bone strength. That urban legend was debunked. Then, another study came to light regarding carbonated diet drinks contributing to the onset of gallstones. Also debunked. ETC., ETC. I think I'll stick to "my type" of drink!

For those of you who can't/won't tolerate aspartame, there are several pretty good diet sodas out there that are aspartame-free. Stevia is the sweetening agent. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fairway (in NY) all have them. Health food stores probably carry them, too. They're more expensive than the big jugs of Diet Coke, but if you're trying to cut down on this kind of stuff, you may find this conveniently self-limiting (to be savored rather than guzzled).

PS-- I prefer just a splash of caffeine-free Diet Coke in my Jack Daniel's (when I want to waste my calories on alcohol...)
    My orthopedic surgeon instructed me not to drink soda. It's also bad for teeth.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Pepsi. i was like you, drinking at minimum of 2 liters a day. Some said they thought it was the main reason I was so heavy since I wasn't a huge eater. I'm not sure about that, but now, I try to drink water and sparkling, flavored water (which I'm not sure is any better) more than anything. I've also discovered some low calorie juices I drink in moderation, and I always log them. I do allow myself a diet Pepsi when I go out for dinner with my boyfriend a few times a week or if I feel I really, really need one, but I try not to drink it daily. It is hard for me since I don't drink coffee or tea and am used to the caffeine, but I've weaned myself mostly off of it. I agree that water is really boring, and I don't like those flavors you can put in them. I think they're pretty gross. But that's just me. Perhaps like someone else said, decrease little by little until you're down to a few times a week or whatever.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Everyone read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary before spreading anymore FUD
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can't copy and paste from Dr Kruse's site nor can I copy the link to here unfortunately. But search "Dr Jack Kruse and Aspartame" and read his blog with references.
    Clear enough I quit my Diet Coke habit same day.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Or read this:

www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what.../one-more-reason-to-drop-diet-sodas

Everyone read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary before spreading anymore FUD
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    OP, I was a two-litre a day diet pepsi drinker for a couple decades. Not going to argue whether it's a healthy habit or not, just tell you that once I quit drinking it my food cravings diminished considerably. I was losing a pound a week for 7 months so I stayed the course. I think an occasional diet pop is fine but for me once I replaced it with unsweetened iced tea, ice water, green tea and a few Vitamin waters (that do contain Sucralose), I didn't really desire the taste of soda. And the best part is I put the $1 a day I was spending on Diet Pepsi 2-litres toward new clothes. Now that I'll raise a glass to :drinker:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Or read this:

Link doesn't work and I can't find anything on Kruse that isn't negative, no research papers. Nadda
  • jesstressfit
    jesstressfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, like any sweetening agent, activates the reward pathway in the brain just as sugar does. That is why it appeals to our taste buds. We like sweet. It's a treat. It's a reward and we look forward to having more. This reward pathway, though not being activated by sugar necessarily, still serves the same purpose and reminds our palate that for something to be tasty and appealing it should be sweet. This contributes to sweets cravings. Cutting from regular to diet sodas will drop sugar, yes, and that is awesome for your pancreas (aka prevent diabetes), your teeth, your figure, and even the function of your intestines (see, Candida). However if we replace sugared drinks with sweet drinks we are still cueing our body to demand sweet foods when it comes to meal time and hunger. If you deal with sweets cravings often, making changes in your diet will cause your palate to shift (aka taste bud preferences) and your body will start responding positively to the less sugary, more nutrient dense foods. Cutting the sweet (artificially or otherwise) drinks will help the process significantly!

As for aspartame, studies have been presented that it attacks the nervous system and studies have been presented debunking that research as myths. Nervous system advocates claim that it leads to tremors, headaches, even Parkinson's syndrome. I've read claims on both sides. The only information I've encountered personally was a nurse working in a neuro doc's office who had a 12 year old with chronic migraines who always chewed artificially sweetened gum and would drink diet cokes. He read some research, told her mom to make her cut it out for a while and the migraines quit. Regardless, aspartame doesn't do anything beneficial for us, nor do sodas. Cutting back is tough, change is tough, but it beats the alternative when sodas affect the body in negative ways otherwise.

Kidneys filter blood. They've got their work cut out for them anyway, throwing a bunch of extra chemicals, minerals, colors, flavorings, etc. when all they want is a good H2O flush is asking for them to eventually get pissed and go on strike. Kidney stones, anyone? Or worse, kidney failure if other health problems compound the issue. The more water given, the easier they can do their job and rest in between (so to speak).

Sodas are acidic. Our bodies function best in an alkaline (basic) environment. Acidic environment of the body is where disease flourishes, cancer cells can multiply faster, bacteria thrives, none of that makes us feel good. What else causes an acidic environment? Sugar. Fried foods. Even meat. What makes a basic environment? All those health foods like veggies, nuts, seeds, (fish maybe?), fruits, herbs, and of course, water. I'm no nutrition fanatic (just love learning it), so I'm not saying go live in the woods and eat the plants. Unless you want to. But if we are already eating in a culture of breads, sugared desserts daily, French fries/chips/fried-everything-ever, beef and chicken galore, why pour gallons of acidic soda into our body weekly, too? This is what makes us feel like crap. Ps, stress creates an acidic environment, too. We owe ourselves some H2O.

Another reason to drink water? Caffeine has a diuretic effect - meaning it causes water loss. Aka, dehydration (gradually, certainly, but sodas don't hydrate, they dehydrate). Dehydrated tissues make organs work harder (sorry again, kidneys), and even affect muscle work. Our muscles glide across each other smoothly. When dehydrated those sliding surfaces become sticky, causing restrictions, causing little tug of wars across the joint, contributing to pain or, when active, injuries.

And of course, soda is harsh on tooth enamel and stains teeth. If nothing else, we want to keep those pearly whites looking good. Cut back a little, or ideally a lot. There are ways to spice up the water, as mentioned previously. If you're not ready to give up carbonation, flavor it with fruit. If water doesn't appeal to you, try infusing - take a big glass container/jar/water dispenser, fill it with water and add slices of strawberries or lemons, oranges, cucumbers, mint, cherries, have some fun. Plus it looks fancy and guests will be impressed with your cool refreshing water. You can use the same fruit and refill the jug with water a few times before you have to replace the fruit slices.

Diet soda and aspartame may not be THE devil, and yes there are greater evils... but let's be real. We're not exploring these message boards for ways to make our bodies fatter and more uncomfortable. Water - it does a body good. Cheers!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I drank diet soda through the first half of my weight loss and quit through the second half because of migraines and aspartame. It did not affect my weight loss, I lost weight at the same rate after quitting. I would still drink it if the aspartame didn't trigger migraines...in moderation.

Just try to wean yourself off a little at a time and add more water.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Another reason to drink water? Caffeine has a diuretic effect - meaning it causes water loss. Aka, dehydration (gradually, certainly, but sodas don't hydrate, they dehydrate).

This has been proven to be untrue. Although caffeine IS a diuretic, any dehydrating effect is more than offset by the large amount of water it's sitting in.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try adding pieces of fruit to your water and chill. Strawberries, oranges, lemon, cucumber,lime or mint are all yummy.
    Kombucha is natural, low calorie, fizzy and has probiotics!

I have a friend that just started making Kombucha, I was surprised at how good it is.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Or read this:

LOL @ Men's Fitness being considered a legitimate source.