Confused about diet soda (coke, pepsi etc)

Options

Replies

• svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to drink diet coke pretty often. Once I stopped, I lost weight and my skin cleared up. Now every once in a while I will have a diet Coke. I noticed the next day. my stomach was much larger and I felt tired. So, try cutting down. You will see a positive change and you will feel better. I promise you!!:wink:
  • treena44
    treena44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use to drink lots of soda! I don't think I drank anything else! However there is two ways of looking at this! U can give it up on your terms or in the near future the doctor can tell you to give it and up! This is what I tell my husband now! You are getting older and the choices you make now will affect the quality of life when you become a senior. So now that I don't drink it and drink everything else but my favourite is fuzzy water with a flavour. U can do it and its not as hard as you think because weight-loss is the hardest decision I think! So give it up for you
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to drink diet coke pretty often. Once I stopped, I lost weight and my skin cleared up. Now every once in a while I will have a diet Coke. I noticed the next day. my stomach was much larger and I felt tired. So, try cutting down. You will see a positive change and you will feel better. I promise you!!:wink:

I promise you that cutting out a calorie free/nearly zero cal beverage did not contribute to legitimate weight loss on any level. Some people do experience a bloating feeling from diet soda (well, soda in general) mostly seen when consumed in large quantities, but that's just water retention and probably discomfort from drinking a lot of carbonated beverages.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is much better than Diet Coke
    No no no...you meant diet mt dew is better than diet coke!

More like Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry is better than all of those!

But.....have you tried Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry VANILLLLA??? :love:
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    you know what if your weight is dropping and its not causing you any problems keep drinking it. I'm a huge fan of Coke Zero but have cut down quite significantly since my change in lifestyle but I still do drink it. I just make sure I also have water during my day :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. Go read what brain surgeon Dr Jack Kruse says that aspartame does in the brain and how it messes with your metabolism.
    Where's the actual science that backs it up? And from a guy who's been suspended by the Association of which he practices in?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    This is the only diet soda for me.

12946082_201307311124.jpg
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Your basically drinking chemicals, that aint good for you.

EVERYTHING that we eat are chemicals ... so are you saying that everything "aint good for you"?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, like any sweetening agent, activates the reward pathway in the brain just as sugar does. That is why it appeals to our taste buds. We like sweet. It's a treat. It's a reward and we look forward to having more. This reward pathway, though not being activated by sugar necessarily, still serves the same purpose and reminds our palate that for something to be tasty and appealing it should be sweet. This contributes to sweets cravings. Cutting from regular to diet sodas will drop sugar, yes, and that is awesome for your pancreas (aka prevent diabetes), your teeth, your figure, and even the function of your intestines (see, Candida). However if we replace sugared drinks with sweet drinks we are still cueing our body to demand sweet foods when it comes to meal time and hunger. If you deal with sweets cravings often, making changes in your diet will cause your palate to shift (aka taste bud preferences) and your body will start responding positively to the less sugary, more nutrient dense foods. Cutting the sweet (artificially or otherwise) drinks will help the process significantly!

As for aspartame, studies have been presented that it attacks the nervous system and studies have been presented debunking that research as myths. Nervous system advocates claim that it leads to tremors, headaches, even Parkinson's syndrome. I've read claims on both sides. The only information I've encountered personally was a nurse working in a neuro doc's office who had a 12 year old with chronic migraines who always chewed artificially sweetened gum and would drink diet cokes. He read some research, told her mom to make her cut it out for a while and the migraines quit. Regardless, aspartame doesn't do anything beneficial for us, nor do sodas. Cutting back is tough, change is tough, but it beats the alternative when sodas affect the body in negative ways otherwise.

Kidneys filter blood. They've got their work cut out for them anyway, throwing a bunch of extra chemicals, minerals, colors, flavorings, etc. when all they want is a good H2O flush is asking for them to eventually get pissed and go on strike. Kidney stones, anyone? Or worse, kidney failure if other health problems compound the issue. The more water given, the easier they can do their job and rest in between (so to speak).

Sodas are acidic. Our bodies function best in an alkaline (basic) environment. Acidic environment of the body is where disease flourishes, cancer cells can multiply faster, bacteria thrives, none of that makes us feel good. What else causes an acidic environment? Sugar. Fried foods. Even meat. What makes a basic environment? All those health foods like veggies, nuts, seeds, (fish maybe?), fruits, herbs, and of course, water. I'm no nutrition fanatic (just love learning it), so I'm not saying go live in the woods and eat the plants. Unless you want to. But if we are already eating in a culture of breads, sugared desserts daily, French fries/chips/fried-everything-ever, beef and chicken galore, why pour gallons of acidic soda into our body weekly, too? This is what makes us feel like crap. Ps, stress creates an acidic environment, too. We owe ourselves some H2O.

Another reason to drink water? Caffeine has a diuretic effect - meaning it causes water loss. Aka, dehydration (gradually, certainly, but sodas don't hydrate, they dehydrate). Dehydrated tissues make organs work harder (sorry again, kidneys), and even affect muscle work. Our muscles glide across each other smoothly. When dehydrated those sliding surfaces become sticky, causing restrictions, causing little tug of wars across the joint, contributing to pain or, when active, injuries.

And of course, soda is harsh on tooth enamel and stains teeth. If nothing else, we want to keep those pearly whites looking good. Cut back a little, or ideally a lot. There are ways to spice up the water, as mentioned previously. If you're not ready to give up carbonation, flavor it with fruit. If water doesn't appeal to you, try infusing - take a big glass container/jar/water dispenser, fill it with water and add slices of strawberries or lemons, oranges, cucumbers, mint, cherries, have some fun. Plus it looks fancy and guests will be impressed with your cool refreshing water. You can use the same fruit and refill the jug with water a few times before you have to replace the fruit slices.

Diet soda and aspartame may not be THE devil, and yes there are greater evils... but let's be real. We're not exploring these message boards for ways to make our bodies fatter and more uncomfortable. Water - it does a body good. Cheers!
    Where's the credit for the source here? Obvious cut and paste.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

This is the debate that doesn't end
    Yes, it goes on and on my friend
    Some people started blogging not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue post it forever just because...

And they'll continue post it forever just because ....
  • Horhe2917
    Horhe2917 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can drink up to a cun of Coca-Cola Light per day ... For the well being of your system...
    Or as much as you want considering the diet or weight loss ... but you'll be puffed up all the time...
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

And they'll continue post it forever just because...

And they'll continue post it forever just because ....
    lolz
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Absolutely agree. Go read what brain surgeon Dr Jack Kruse says that aspartame does in the brain and how it messes with your metabolism.

Seriously?

http://jackkruse.com/getting-started-guide/

This guy?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    You can drink up to a cun of Coca-Cola Light per day ... For the well being of your system...
    Or as much as you want considering the diet or weight loss ... but you'll be puffed up all the time...

Why would you be puffed up all the time? Do you mean from the carbonation?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Or read this:

www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what.../one-more-reason-to-drop-diet-sodas

Everyone read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary before spreading anymore FUD

FIFY

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/one-more-reason-to-drop-diet-sodas

I love this line from this ridiculous article:

"Though the evidence is still far from conclusive, it's probably a good idea to stay away from sodas and their non-caloric counterparts altogether"

Because nothing makes more sense than acting fast on inconclusive evidence.

The claim of the article is that a study, which they never cite so I cannot actually read said study, states that carbonation results in the brain not registreing that something is as "sweet" as it actually is and therefore you end up craving sweet things. That makes so little sense I'm assuming its just another instance of a blog writer horribly misunderstanding and misrepresenting the findings of a study then not bothering to actually cite said study allowing the reader to see for themselves.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That was my thought, looks about as reliable as Mercola
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My most successful weight loss period was supported by lots of diet soda. 5 kg in 2 months (I've not been substantially overweight in a long time, always below 20% body fat). It is not very good for endurance training, though. So I consume less now.

It does not dehydrate you simply because it contains 95%+ of water. If you consumed the caffeine in pill form then sure. But 30 mg in 500 ml? it will actually hydrate you.

The one thing against it that I've found in a reputable source: Matt Fitzgerald reports in "Racing Weight" that there is no correlation between long-term weight loss and consumption of diet soda (or regular soda), so he advises against it. It is an admittedly weak correlation since it has no cause/effect pathway. His logic is "if you're an athlete this is not doing you much good anyway, substitute with a better choice". I also read some reports RE:carbonation leaching calcium. I'm concerned about this since I'm lactose intolerant and consuming supplemental calcium, but I didn't find anything compelling (i.e. peer reviewed test result in a scientific journal).

Anecdotally, in my case there are some sweeteners that completely wreck me while training. Sorbitol seems to be fine (nuun tablets with electrolytes, I drank that as 30% of my consumption during a very hot 160 km ride last year). But the dasani drops will upset my stomach when riding, and definitely cause me to slow down. Your mileage may vary.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    OP if you like diet soda drink diet soda man it isn't going to harm your health or your weight loss. You would benefit much more for taking that attention thought and energy and shift it away from your diet soda intake to your caloric intake and your exercise and look for ways to improve there.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't affect you in any way, keep drinking it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't affect me in any way, so I will keep drinking it.

F.I.F.Y ..... other folks may have different 'mileage'