Is BMI really BS?

Options
So, everyone around me has been telling me not to look at numbers but instead how I feel. I don't like that I am on the heavier side of "healthy" and I'm close to being "overweight":brokenheart: . I've lost ten pounds and I want to lose another ten because it will put me at a much healthier looking BMI. Is this a good idea?
It's difficult because I don't dislike my body (that much) and I know some of my weight is muscle. Not a lot of it but I certainly have some tone in my legs. My mums telling me to keep loosing weight but my friends think it's unnecessary.
Do you think I should improve my BMI or is it all BS?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Agree with Iwishyouwell.
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No, it's not BS. BMI is a generalization that will work for generally most people. It's become very common these days to attack BMI due to the outliers who have a higher than typical muscle mass, and thus for whom BMI is of little use. However the vast majority of people aren't rocking the amount of additional lean mass needed to skew the BMI radically.

The heart of the matter, for many, is that they hate that BMI tells them they're still too fat. A lot of people have come to loathe the old height/weight chart ranges and BMI because they point to the fact that we've, on the whole, lost perspective of just how small most people need to be in order to not be overweight. Especially here in the US we've become very, very skewed about appropriate weight and BMI.

As far as your own personal goals, are your health markers good? When looking in the mirror do you have excess fat that you're unhappy with? When you say you "dislike" your body, what exactly do you dislike? That there is still too much fat mass or are you talking about other parts that are unchangeable (naturally speaking)?

I can agree with this to some extent. The only problem is body shape. It doesn't take into account anything other than numbers. I don't think that can be too accurate as people are so diverse. Obviously, in some cases it does work fine. When it comes to my doctor, I was told I am "healthy" and "fine" in terms of weight.
    I have a love hate relationship with my body. Sometimes I quite like it others I don't. I don't think I am fat or big. My dislike for my body comes from problem areas (inner thighs, legs etc). So I can never be sure how to feel about myself or how much I need to commit to weight loss.
    BMI is the only thing really that's making me lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For individuals yes I believe it is an antiquated calculation that has to much importance put on it.

For general public yes it's fine.

The history of BMI comes from the 1800's.

"...it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals, or rather, populations, with an average body composition"

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi

For me atm I have a BMI of 24...puts me on the high side of "healthy"...I personally feel that my weight atm is great...I wear a size 5/6 and the 5-6 pounds I lost to get below overweight didn't change my clothing size or my fitness level...

So 2 months ago I was considered "overweight"...sorry I have to laugh...at 160lbs..in a size 5/6...not overweight...
  • 1saturn
    Options
    I think the only people on the planet to whom you should listen regarding your weight loss goals are your doctor, and the person in your mirror, but that's just me.

Well, my doctor said I'm healthy but it's discouraging to see BMI doesn't exactly think so.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle so it's certainly massively flawed

Pick any muscly athlete and BMI will say they are overweight

eg. Running back Adrian Peterson

espn_2009bww_21.jpg

Not overweight surely? Well the BMI checker isn't ambiguous in any way: "Adrian Peterson BMI is overweight"

http://www.celebheightandweight.com/adrian-peterson-bmi-848.html

I know that doesn't really help you but quite interesting anyway???
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No, it's not BS. BMI is a generalization that will work for generally most people. It's become very common these days to attack BMI due to the outliers who have a higher than typical muscle mass, and thus for whom BMI is of little use. However the vast majority of people aren't rocking the amount of additional lean mass needed to skew the BMI radically.

This! I'm sure the gorgeous athlete in the previous post knows he's not overweight. But for the normal plebs like me BMI is something to keep an eye on.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

The heart of the matter, for many, is that they hate that BMI tells them they're still too fat. A lot of people have come to loathe the old height/weight chart ranges and BMI because they point to the fact that we've, on the whole, lost perspective of just how small most people need to be in order to not be overweight. Especially here in the US we've become very, very skewed about appropriate weight and BMI.

As far as your own personal goals, are your health markers good? When looking in the mirror do you have excess fat that you're unhappy with? When you say you "dislike" your body, what exactly do you dislike? That there is still too much fat mass or are you talking about other parts that are unchangeable (naturally speaking)?

speaking as an outlier... I was told as an adolescent that I had to "be careful" because I was "almost overweight" by a well meaning adult, and told by another adult who should have known better, that I need to lose 10kg (22lb) based on BMI alone... I had visible upper abs at the time, my body fat percentage would have been around 18-20%.... very dangerous advice, both in terms of my physical and mental health.

the problem is, while you're correct when BMI is applied to the average person, people who are outliers may not know that they are outliers, and most really don't know the difference between someone who has a high body fat percentage and someone who has a healthy body fat percentage and a high lean body mass for their height. It took my studying human sciences at degree level to understand that I'm an outlier and should take BMI with a pinch of salt, unfortunately I'd already suffered several years of disordered eating due to thinking I was too fat when I wasn't at all. And outliers are more common than people think, because most people don't really understand much about statistics and human variation.

Really posts like the OP's rings alarm bells for me, because if she is like me, then she should absolutely NOT feel that she should have a lower BMI just to be more average... to attempt that could result in her harming her health rather than helping it. Yes outliers are rarer and statistically speaking it's *more likely* that she's not an outlier... but we do exist and are not all that rare, and someone on an internet forum can't tell the difference.

OP: get your body fat percentage measured in a reliable way. If that's in the healthy range, then forget this idea of losing extra weight just to be in a certain place on a BMI chart. Body fat percentage is a direct measure of how much fat there is in your body. If it's in the healthy range, you don't have too much fat and your health is not at risk, regardless of what your BMI is (BMI is just a very crude way to estimate whether someone has too much body fat - body fat percentage actually measures how much fat you have). If your BF% is above 28% then losing more fat until it's in the healthy range (18-28%) is a good idea. Losing a little fat to be a lower number within the healthy range is fine too, but it's a purely cosmetic adjustment which won't affect your health either way. Some people like how their bodies look better at a particular percentage rather than another... I think I look best at around 23% body fat. But in terms of health, if it's in the healthy range then you have the right amount of body fat for good health.
  • 1saturn
    Options
    For individuals yes I believe it is an antiquated calculation that has to much importance put on it.

For general public yes it's fine.

The history of BMI comes from the 1800's.

"...it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals, or rather, populations, with an average body composition"

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi

For me atm I have a BMI of 24...puts me on the high side of "healthy"...I personally feel that my weight atm is great...I wear a size 5/6 and the 5-6 pounds I lost to get below overweight didn't change my clothing size or my fitness level...

So 2 months ago I was considered "overweight"...sorry I have to laugh...at 160lbs..in a size 5/6...not overweight...

Yes. I heard that BMI was created by a mathematician who had no intention of it being used as a measure of health. I think my BMI is about 24 too. But I don't feel (nearly) overweight or anything. I actually also used to waist to hip indicator and it said I was "excellent". Some people argue where fat is distributed is the real indicator of health so it's so confusing! I also used the waist to height ratio and it said I was too thin! I mean, really? What are we supposed to listen to I don't even know...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    BMI is a guide and not meant to be used in isolation. It's a simple way with limited equipment to assess people. The problem is even some doctors and health professionals do that and forget to use some common sense. BMI is based on population averages and the majority of people will fit into it. It obviously was not designed to assess athletes.

Those who immediately jump on the BMI is rubbish because look at me I lift and I'm technically over weight are missing the point. Yes some people wont fit in but in general the majority will and with the use of some common sense you can take it as a guide. I also have noticed a number of people slating BMI who are really just in denial about their own weight

So look at your BMI look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. It's all data and with any information in needs to be taken in context.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Clothing sizes is about the worse marker available when determining appropriate weight.

Almost all clothes in the US are vanity sized, and women's clothing has absolutely no regulations or standards. A 5/6 today can be so vanity sized that it was a 10-12, or higher, in decades past. Even men's clothes no longer follow the actual inches printed on the waist sizes. Hell I have two pairs of jeans from the 90s in a size 36 that are smaller than some size 33s today.

The mirror and your health markers are the best standard, clothing size the absolute worse.
    BMI doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle so it's certainly massively flawed

And yet how much of the general population has a body built like a professional running back?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The BMI is a poor metric to apply to individuals (esp. individuals that are not 19th century Belgians :wink: ) because it ignores the square/cubed law in order to keep the math simple.

Here's a link to an interesting read about the science behind the flaws: http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi.html

And a link to an alternate calculation that accounts for the fact that people are three dimensional and provides a comparison of the two measures: http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html

Bottom line: BMI is a poor analog to measuring BF% (and thus level of 'health') - in consistently underestimates BF% for shorter people and overestimates BF% for taller people. If you're taller than average, you should think twice before taking drastic measures to hit an arbitrary BMI number.

My $0.02
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    BMI is not always BS but it can be. Like one of the poster says, "look at Adrian Peterson". Having a lot of muscle will skew the BMI #s.

But with you saying your doctor says you are in the healthy range, that is a good start. You know you want and can get lower, so go for it! Stay positive!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    For studies of the general population BMI is a useful tool as all you need are everyone's weight and height, easy measures to obtain.

For an individual, it could potentially be very inaccurate.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It depends on your build and general shape.

For me and my Mum the weight range is about right in fact being smack in the middle of the healthy range is the perfect weight for both of us.

My dad however has really short legs 29inches but is 6'2" so has a long body and is very broad and would be way too thin if he was in the healthy range he doesn't have lots of lean muscle but just has an odd shape.

Basically if you feel healthy at your current weight then great if you have 'problem areas' you may be better off tonning them with exercises so they look better rather than trying to loss weight which could come off anywhere. :) Or finding clothes that suit your shape.

From your picture I think you look fine.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Clothing sizes is about the worse marker available when determining appropriate weight.

Almost all clothes in the US are vanity sized, and women's clothing has absolutely no regulations or standards. A 5/6 today can be so vanity sized that it was a 10-12, or higher, in decades past. Even men's clothes no longer follow the actual inches printed on the waist sizes. Hell I have two pairs of jeans from the 90s in a size 36 that are smaller than some size 33s today.

The mirror and your health markers are the best standard, clothing size the absolute worse.

And yet how much of the general population has a body built like a professional running back?

I'm 210# @ 6'2" with a BMI of 27 (Overweight): my current BF is 20%, so I'll buy the BMI determination. However, I'm currently progressing towards my goal to recomp to 210# @ 15% BF, which would put me squarely in the 'athletic' range. My BMI will still be 27 and will not reflect any of the positive change I will have made. So how is this a good metric?
  • 1saturn
    Options

Okay, but how am I supposed to know what to follow? My waist to hip ratio is excellent and my waist to height ratio implies I am too thin. So with all the "science" conflicting itself what now?