For those who married young or are currently engaged

Options
What did you/your fiancé do for an engagement ring? Was it expensive? I've been reading around and I'm curious what you guys did!

Replies

• wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I was married at 19. My mom gave my ex her engagement ring to give me.
  • Nikkiash667
    Nikkiash667 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wanted something no one else had. We went antique shopping. I found a gorgeous yet simple white gold ring from the late 1920's. I had to have it sized (my finger is a 4) and I also had the two bands soldered together because the bands were pretty thin and the prongs were like threads.
    Ring was $500, all the other stuff cost like 50.

I love my ring and I get a lot of compliments on it.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I shopped around at jewellers and all sorts of places, but I was not able to afford the quality of diamond I wanted to give to my future wife. Then I found Blue Nile ... they let me design the mount and get a diamond at a very reasonable price.

I'm not saying go there - there are many places like it, but I found online dealers such as Blue Nile were great allowing for customization and providing me at least with an experience and what felt like a "hand" in creating the perfect ring that I was looking for.

I then went back to the jewellers and inquired about very similar styles to what I had purchased, and found it would cost me nearly double what I paid at the local stores.

Even without that - my wife would have been happy receiving a ring made of string... the ring doesn't make the engagement or the marriage. Size does not matter. The heart behind it is what counts.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was 20 when I got married.... Both my rings were bought together (as a set) and was under $1000 (idk what your idea of expensive is lol, but here it was pretty much as cheap as you get)
    Though the price had less to do with it then my taste in jewelery. Personally, I dont care if what I get is new or used (I just care that its picked out with care and consideration of me) so even if my hubs had gone to a second hand store/pawn shop I would've been happy
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Even without that - my wife would have been happy receiving a ring made of string... the ring doesn't make the engagement or the marriage. Size does not matter. The heart behind it is what counts.

Precisely
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to know SOME idea of what the girl likes, and go from there. No need to spend your entire savings.

I just casually mentioned a few times I love oval shaped diamonds to my husband, and he did an awesome job! Here are a couple quick snaps I just took:

2uz2mg7.jpg
    2qs5tl0.jpg
    34i4yh1.jpg
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I shopped around at jewellers and all sorts of places, but I was not able to afford the quality of diamond I wanted to give to my future wife. Then I found Blue Nile ... they let me design the mount and get a diamond at a very reasonable price.

I'm not saying go there - there are many places like it, but I found online dealers such as Blue Nile were great allowing for customization and providing me at least with an experience and what felt like a "hand" in creating the perfect ring that I was looking for.

I then went back to the jewellers and inquired about very similar styles to what I had purchased, and found it would cost me nearly double what I paid at the local stores.

Yes, Blue Nile is the best!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My husband went to a jewlery store and bought a diamond, had it put in a simple "place holder" setting, and I got to pick my own setting after he proposed.

HOWEVER. OP. YOU ARE 18. DO NOT BUY AN ENGAGEMENT RING UNTIL YOU ARE 22 AT LEAST.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Please get an idea what the girl likes first.

My fiance proposed with a cheapo ring he bought in Mexico. With the caveat we'd go pick out what I wanted as far as my "real ring".

I'm very picky, and glad that's how he wanted to do it.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    engaged three years...i asked him....still waiting for a ring.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Please please please don't get engaged at 18. You haven't even lived yet.

But to answer your question, he got my ring from Kay Jewelers and he got what he could afford. I was 20 when I got married (the first time) and I wish I could go back and slap the shlt out of me.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    What did you/your fiancé do for an engagement ring? Was it expensive? I've been reading around and I'm curious what you guys did!

We were engaged when I was 18, he was 21. We went to Jared and I have a 1/2 karat diamond tri-stone ring. I looked at the 1 karat version of the same ring but liked the smaller one better. We put it on a credit card but it didn't take long to pay off.

ETA - he proposed to me without a ring, and we went together to pick it out because he didn't know my ring size >.<
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Please please please don't get engaged at 18. You haven't even lived yet.

But to answer your question, he got my ring from Kay Jewelers and he got what he could afford. I was 20 when I got married (the first time) and I wish I could go back and slap the shlt out of me.

Also, please, please, please don't listen to this person.

I have been happily married for 3 years (engaged at 18, married at 21). I have lived more than some people I know in their 40s! If it feels right to you, it probably is right!!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was 23 when we got engaged, not doing so well financially, and we got a beautiful diamond engagement ring at a Zales outlet for around $400. They even had beautiful diamond rings for $100-200. We ended up upgrading when we were expecting our first child and doing much better financially.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't a diamond ring, that sort of gift don't mean anything, I don't want him to get me a fancy car, I want to know I'm his shining star, I don't want him to get me a house in the hills, a girl like me needs something real. I want him to get me somethin' special.
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My husband and I married when we were 19. I wore my mother's wedding ring. She and my father had gotten divorced and I promised to give the ring a better love story. Well, I did until 4 years later when it slipped into a crack in the wall in my in-laws old farm house. I guess a loving pair of rodents probably have it now ;). My husband bought me a another used wedding set when I turned 30. We got a great deal for $250.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a set to replace the set my husband and I got married with. Both sets cost me less than $60. The forst set was just tungston bands and he managed to break his. The second set is tungston with a few CZ stones in them. Nothing real fancy and not real by any imagination. They symbolize our love and give the illusion of bling. All we really cared about was that they match.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My grandma gave him her first engagement and wedding band set.

Ps. Marriage sucks. Don't do it :laugh:
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Married at 19, he gave me an eensy little solitaire. He was a college student, saved his money for a few months (apparently he ate Ramen that whole time!) I still wear it today, we'll be married 13 years in October, but I'd like to 'upgrade' someday.