For those who married young or are currently engaged

Options

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

Ps. Marriage sucks. Don't do it :laugh:

I think what you mean to say is YOUR marriage sucks!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My engagement ring had a 1/2 ct diamond with a sapphire on each side and the wedding ring had a circle of sapphires. They were beautiful (hubby built it around pics I'd sent my best friend) unfortunately I got so fat while pregnant my wedding ring had to be cut off and we put my engagement ring in storage because it's just too much money to cart around on my hand. Now I have two cheapo fake diamond sets from Wal-Mart that I alternate between depending on the season and how swollen my hand is :p
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Please please please don't get engaged at 18. You haven't even lived yet.

But to answer your question, he got my ring from Kay Jewelers and he got what he could afford. I was 20 when I got married (the first time) and I wish I could go back and slap the shlt out of me.

Also, please, please, please don't listen to this person.

I have been happily married for 3 years (engaged at 18, married at 21). I have lived more than some people I know in their 40s! If it feels right to you, it probably is right!!

Felt right to me too at 21.. but then he cheated and ****ed everything up a dew years later.

Lol. You live, you learn.
  • mgnmsn1
    mgnmsn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    22 here recently engaged. We are not the richest, nor did I want to do into debt for a ring. He asked me what I wanted, we went and looked around and I got my finger sized. Then we went through Amazon. Got a 1/2 karat 14k gold with a plain band for $450. Couldn't be happier. It is not about the ring. Honestly, it could have been smaller or nonexistent. It was about the fact that we were getting married and I was going to marry the love of my life. He could have been ringless and I would have been fine. However, my ring is still gorgeous for a great price so I am happy. Good luck.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wish I could find that video I saw about the truth behind engagement rings...

It's really just the most successful advertising scam in history. Diamonds aren't rare, they aren't valuable. People are buried in them every day. Jewelry companies needed a way to unload them. Throw together some slick advertising and ta da! Now we think diamond engagement rings are a necessary tradition handed down through the ages.

But there's no fighting it. It's a successful enough advertising campaing that society is now convinced that the size of a diamond equates to how much you love a person. And slaves labor away in mines under horrible conditions to allow this nonsense to go on.

Raise your hand if you're shocked that I'm not married. :frown: :wink:

raise-hands.gif
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Ps. Marriage sucks. Don't do it :laugh:

I think what you mean to say is YOUR marriage sucks!

Yep. Exactly.

And apparently the laughy face didn't send off enough sarcasm. Sigh.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    EBay some poor divorcée's ring and save yourself a bundle, kids :)
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Engaged at 19 years old. Took him a year to pay it off...
    Married at 22.

My 19th anniversary is in July!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

But to answer your question, he got my ring from Kay Jewelers and he got what he could afford. I was 20 when I got married (the first time) and I wish I could go back and slap the shlt out of me.

I have been happily married for 3 years (engaged at 18, married at 21). I have lived more than some people I know in their 40s! If it feels right to you, it probably is right!!
    3 years?

No the kid needs to listen to those cautioning.
    Your story while sweet is not over.

Nor are marriages started that young usually lasting.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Wish I could find that video I saw about the truth behind engagement rings...

It's really just the most successful advertising scam in history. Diamonds aren't rare, they aren't valuable. People are buried in them every day. Jewelry companies needed a way to unload them. Throw together some slick advertising and ta da! Now we think diamond engagement rings are a necessary tradition handed down through the ages.

But there's no fighting it. It's a successful enough advertising campaing that society is now convinced that the size of a diamond equates to how much you love a person. And slaves labor away in mines under horrible conditions to allow this nonsense to go on.

Raise your hand if you're shocked that I'm not married. :frown: :wink:

Totally agree. I would actually be quite upset if I was proposed to with a diamond ring. It would mean he doesn't know me at all. Then again, I'm pretty non traditional and who knows if I'll ever get married (again).

ETA: I married young. I also divorced young.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

LOL, come talk to me in 5 years.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    save your money.

if you rent, save for a down payment on a home.
    if youre pregnant, save up for alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the insanity that things gonna cost.
    if youre going to college, save up for your classes.

you see my pattern here.

a good relationship a ring does not make.

wanna give a symbol of your engagement? cool.
    go spend $50 on a pretty ring or something.

when i got engaged my first time around, she was very clear...at least a carat in a big platinum setting.
    not one to disappoint, i went and did that. the diamond was "ok" and i think i spent somewhere just over the $3k mark for it.

we broke up.

im happily married now (12 years in oct), and never got her an engagement ring. she couldnt have cared less.
    we upgraded her wedding ring when we could afford it and she loves it.

imo engagement rings are kinda meh.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I am sure that you know that not everything that feels right at 18 still feels right just a few years later.

OP, I strongly enoucrage you to wait. If she's the one, she'll still be around two or three years from now.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We bought an appropriately sized (read: very small) ring that I adore and wear to this day and will not allow to be altered, even though our household income is approximately 5X what it was then.

My husband is a little bit embarrassed by the ring and would like to upgrade the diamonds but... no. I don't give a flying crap what size/quality the diamonds are. I love my ring.

We married at 22, and are very happy (though some years have been pretty bad) 11 years and 3 kids later.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

3 years?

Not much more can happen now. We've been together 7 years, have 2 kids, lived together for 6 of the years. Fought, vacationed, etc. Not all marriages are destined to fail!
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options

a good relationship a ring does not make.

Listen to wise Master Yoda.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I love all of you... but you're not going to talk an 18 year old out of marrying if they already have their mind made up about it. Nor does it actually mean it's doomed to fail (although statistically more likely). But hell, my parents have been married for over 40 years and they got engaged when they were 18.

Age is sometimes just a number.

Unless you're dating an older woman, cause HELL NO on that.

*gigglesnort*
  • KathallBowyer
    KathallBowyer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went a historical route for ours. She hates diamonds (lucky me!...also hates roses and loves carnations...again lucky me!). We researched (well I researched) what historic concepts of engagement-like rings were and found interesting stuff. At some point they involved the pre-wife's birthstone surrounded by birthstones of pre-husband and family members. So we went with her birth"stone" in the middle (pearl) and mine around it (sapphires). Worked with a company when we lived in NH to replace stones in a mount we liked, and wha-la, done deal!

Sorry, didn't marry young or are currently engaged (26ish for me, <cough> for her), and have been married for 6 years. Just wanted to chime in.
  • odusgolp
    Options

3 years?

Not much more can happen now. We've been together 7 years, have 2 kids, lived together for 6 of the years. Fought, vacationed, etc. Not all marriages are destined to fail!

You're cute ;-)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my "wedding ring" is from Kohl's and cost me $20. The plan is to upgrade it on our 5th or 10th wedding anniversary.

We probably could have afforded to get something nice at the time, but we just bought a house and we have so many things going on in our lives that an expensive piece of jewelry just didn't seem right. The symbolism is still there, and just as strong.