Why bother?!

Options
I'm in a healthy weight range now (but didn't used to be). I've lost around 28lbs, yet not one person has commented on the change. Why do I even bother? Why don't I just eat a loada ice cream and cake since I obviously looked the same when I was 28lbs heavier?!

Replies

• PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've kinda felt this way too. I'm 23lbs lighter than my prepregnancy weight yet no one has seemed to notice. Then I realized that I'm changing my lifestyle for ME. Yes, it would be nice to hear others praise my weight loss but is that what I'm working so hard for??...no. Besides, weight loss is more noticed when people haven't seen you in a while. It's less noticeable for people who see you everyday.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this for other people, or yourself?

Next time you're at the gym, pick up something that weights 30lbs...Tell me it's not easier on your body having to lug all that around.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    good point. have a scoop for me.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Because you know the difference, your body knows the difference, and you'll be better off in the long run for taking the time to take care of you. Besides, the heck with everyone else! :) Great job!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am sure you look great with a 28lb loss that put you in the normal range. I am about 40 - 45 lbs outta range and I know 28lbs would make a huge difference, so chin up! Also, You have gained so much in health! That is the best part! I know your body is thanking you! :happy:
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    good point. have a scoop for me.

Me too please
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm in a healthy weight range now (but didn't used to be). I've lost around 28lbs, yet not one person has commented on the change. Why do I even bother? Why don't I just eat a loada ice cream and cake since I obviously looked the same when I was 28lbs heavier?!
    I'm not doing this for the comments of other people. I'm not doing this to get a family member off my back. I'm not doing this to get approving glances as I walk down the street. I'm doing this for me.

Personally, that's a sufficient reason.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can definitely feel the difference within myself, it's just kinda upsetting that no one else notices. I should definitely be doing it for myself rather than other people though :). I've DEFINITELY got fitter- i ran 5k the other day where my previous record was like 10 minutes :P. That feels pretty good.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind there's a difference between noticing and commenting. People may have noticed but just not said anything.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I can definitely feel the difference within myself, it's just kinda upsetting that no one else notices. I should definitely be doing it for myself rather than other people though :). I've DEFINITELY got fitter- i ran 5k the other day where my previous record was like 10 minutes :P. That feels pretty good.
    Way to go.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    so if you gained 28 pounds, would you want people to comment and take notice of that as well?
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing this for the comments of other people. I'm not doing this to get a family member off my back. I'm not doing this to get approving glances as I walk down the street. I'm doing this for me.

Personally, that's a sufficient reason.

yep
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Because YOU ARE worth the bother.

Being at a healthy weight for your height and surely the ability to exercise and achieve a PB at the 5K is better than any comment from someone else.

Looking for validation outside of your own personal motivation will always lead to disappointment and will probably not sustain you thru the hard times when motivation flies out the window ..... perhaps working on your own inner reserves of Pride, Perseverance and dogged commitment thru these lean times will help you realise that your opinion of yourself is the ONLY real one that counts.

Congrats on your achievements both in weight loss and fitness.

Good Luck
  • rvmyerscmi
    rvmyerscmi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm down a little over 80 pounds and it wasn't until I was down the first 40 or so that people began to occasionally comment. Even now, they are very few and far between. Mostly, people don't want to embarrass someone who may be sick or have other issues that cause weight loss. Just because they don't say anything doesn't mean they don't notice. Make a light hearted, self deprecating crack about your weight loss and see if they don't open up. Some just need a bit of an invitation.
  • babigirl87
    Options
    Why bother because this is about you and not about what people think about you
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    People haven't noticed....? Hrm... some people can be so self-absored... shame on them

See what I did there? It's 28 lbs. Here's a congratulations from a total stranger... the parade will begin shortly.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Why? Cause your doing it/ did it for you right?? I sure would hope so. Wgaf what others think?! That imo though.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't get this at all... do you want them to comment when you pile on 28lbs why should they comment when you lose it....

Do you think normal weight people that have never lost of gained but have always been a great weight need comments to tell them they are the same as ever...noooo....

I really think that some people intentionally lose and gain weight to get attention...just my thoughts

are you doing this for you?? if so don't stress.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

You've totally nailed it. It's all about how you look, not how you feel or how healthy you are. If no one notices that you've lost weight, you might as well pack it in and pack those pounds back on with a few weeks worth of pity parties. Maybe then people will notice and say "Hey, remember when you lost that weight then put it back on?" Then you'll feel better.

Right?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Because YOU ARE worth the bother.

Being at a healthy weight for your height and surely the ability to exercise and achieve a PB at the 5K is better than any comment from someone else.

Looking for validation outside of your own personal motivation will always lead to disappointment and will probably not sustain you thru the hard times when motivation flies out the window ..... perhaps working on your own inner reserves of Pride, Perseverance and dogged commitment thru these lean times will help you realise that your opinion of yourself is the ONLY real one that counts.

Congrats on your achievements both in weight loss and fitness.

Good Luck

Outstanding answer !! And congrats for your achievments OP :drinker: