Why bother?!

Options

Replies

• Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    so if you gained 28 pounds, would you want people to comment and take notice of that as well?

This. I bet you anything people have noticed and just not commented. I know sometimes I notice others' weight loss (or gain!) and am not sure what to say, so I don't comment. Good reminder that a compliment overcomes whatever weirdness there might be!
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer not to comment. It seems to be a cultural difference. If you know some Asians, saunter up to them, we're usually quite verbose about these things :)

Honestly though, just relax. You've done a great job. You're healthier and you're less at risk for illnesses in the future. You also probably fit into some smaller clothes etc. if you're into that kind of thing. If you're worried about how you look, focus on why that is. Enjoy your achievement and don't do it for other people 'cause that's the kind of weight that could pile back on.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I lost 35 pounds was to go to Petsmart and pick up a bag of dog food that weighed about 35 pounds. I could hardly pick it up. I walked down an aisle with it and paid attention to how much weight my knees and feet felt. I felt grateful that I could put it down at the end of the aisle and walk lightly out of the store.

I lost weight because I want good health, a sense of well-being, energy to do the things I want to do, and time, years of time, to spend with the people I love.

Many people think that is is impolite to comment on the appearance of others, either positively or negatively.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just tend to randomly blurt out my loss to folk whether they want to know or not. I'm proud of what I've achieved - However saying that do I actually expect them to care? Hell no!
  • Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Last year I was well along my weight loss journey having lost 30lbs. I felt incredible, my clothes fit better, I was sleeping better, my skin looked better, etc etc. No one noticed I had lost weight. No biggy cuz I'm doing this for me. I gained back 15lbs due to job related stress (so still down 15 from SW) and NOW people want to comment about my weight GAIN! Oh well, gotta just keep plugging along...
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you really lost 28 pounds, you don't look the same. And I sure hope you didn't do it for pats on the back, attention or recognition. This is about you and no one else. It's about a healthy you, a person that no longer is at risk for the horrible disease known as type 2 diabetes, where body parts start coming off and kidneys start to fail along with other vital organs.

And that should be the reason for you to keep it off.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If the only reason you did it was to revel in the compliments, then I agree - Bust out the sweat pants and Twinkies, baby!

But you know you did it for more than that and that you've done so much more for yourself than just look better in the eyes of others.

And others in this thread are right, many may have noticed but not said anything for various reasons. I treat weight loss like pregnancy. Unless you tell me you are/have, I don't mention it just in case you think I'm inferring you needed to lose weight, you've lost it because you're sick, or whatever. Better to keep my mouth closed and by thought a fool (or in this case unobservant meanie) than to open my mouth and remove all doubt :wink:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ...you're right...you shouldn't bother anymore if your only goal to dropping weight was to have people compliment you--they didn't, so apparently what you are doing has failed.

but...on the other hand......
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    5K in 10 minutes? Am I missing anything? this is ridiculously fast...
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL-F3kEmSOHJkFzNP_IZx0Epfg71ZpQTCS3x-lFFwtV8rx9rj6
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Do you stop wearing clean underwear because nobody comments on how clean they are?
  • albayin
    Options
    Do you stop wearing clean underwear because nobody comments on how clean they are?

interesting analogy...LOL
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Because you're worth it.

Oh wait, I sound like a commercial.
  • albayin
    Options
    Because you're worth it.

Oh wait, I sound like a commercial.

I think this is how it goes "diet pills, 200 dollars, body wrap, 50 dollars, your health, priceless"... Or did I get that backward?
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    5K in 10 minutes? Am I missing anything? this is ridiculously fast...
    She said she used to only be able to run for 10 minutes but now can run 5k :wink:
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm in a healthy weight range now (but didn't used to be). I've lost around 28lbs, yet not one person has commented on the change. Why do I even bother? Why don't I just eat a loada ice cream and cake since I obviously looked the same when I was 28lbs heavier?!

No, a resounding no. Just my 2 cents. If you are around the same people every day they may not notice. However, if you see relatives and friends you saw when you were heavier and see again they may or may not say anything because weight is a touchy personal subject for many. Keep up the awesome work and dont get discouraged
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No one said a word to me until about 50lbs. Around about 70 no one didn't say a word. I think people don't necessarily want to comment unless it's completely obvious for fear of offending. Same as a lot of people won't say "congratulations on your pregnancy" because odds are they, or someone they know, has said that to a response of "I'm not pregnant, I'm fat, wtf". Keep going. Whether others say anything or not does not matter. But yes, they notice.
  • yellerica83
    Options

Why does everyone have to take things so literally and seriously..she's obviously making a sarcastic comment...venting if not but someone always has to be the almighty....anyways I feel your pain. ...it's always a great feeling when others notice :)
  • stellasaur
    stellasaur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your weight is no one else's business. Do you get annoyed when people don't comment when you've gained weight?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me and have been thinking about this, but I forgot to post- sorry, I'm not intending to hijack the thread.

Most people want to "lose" weight (or manage their weight, rather). They set goals, follow a process, etc. But they really have it all wrong.

Because their goal is not to lose weight - is to look better and get compliments. Or feel better. Or be fitter. Sure, weight management can be a large component of it, but confounding your goals leads to dissatisfaction :)

I commented this to a (female) friend a long time ago. She was quite surprised and was about to argue, but then I mentioned she could tie the components to the real objective (she wanted to look good): after you lose x amount that you want off, get a haircut. If you lose y more, then get that dress you wanted. And so on.

We people are weird and sometimes lose sight of the true motivation.