smart comebacks needed

Options
I've heard from a couple people that I'm not losing fast enough. I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, and have lost almost 20 in the last 3 months. It makes me so angry to hear that I should have lost more for all the effort I'm putting in, or I eat too much or should eat 1200 max, cut everything out and go cardio crazy. I think my favorite is when someone they know lost 20 pounds in the first month doing xyz, I should try it. I'm not hangry, I eat min 1500 calories, usually more like 1800-2000. Workout 4 or 5 days a week. Why are people such know-it-all @ssholes?

What should I say to them except to quote the dude " Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I vote for a swift kick to the crotch.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Where do you find these jerks?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I never have smart comebacks. I'm afflicted with "l'esprit d'escalier" where you come up with the perfect response three days later.

But I wanted to tell you that you're doing GREAT and you should keep on keeping on.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ugh why are people telling you to lose weight faster than 1.5 pounds a week?? I would tell them simply, "this is what I'm comfortable with" and that experts recommend no more than 2 pounds a week. There's no rush! You're doing great! Don't listen to these people. It's none of their business anyway.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. tell them that

or if you want to take the high road just tell them that 2 lbs/week is the healthy maximum that one should lose, which equates to 26 lbs
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    First off you are doing awesome! Secondly tell them that you want to lose the weight permanently for the long hull and that you aren't trying to find a quick fix solution. Most people who lose the weight too fast gain it right back again and more which is clearly what you are trying to avoid. Then tell them to mind their own buisness because it's honestly not up to them what you do. Then maybe punch them as someone else has suggested :)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to come back? What do you really gain in the end? Would it make you feel better to retaliate?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Better yet stop discussing the weight loss / calorie counting specifics with them.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • schelly81
    Options
    Where do you find these jerks?

work or acquaintances
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Say to them "M Y O B" and be quiet

if they ask, tell them, I thought you knew everything! that stand for Mind Your Own Business

then kick them in the crotch!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Work or acquaintances, most work.

Since I wouldn't discuss weight loss with them anyway, the death stare usually works
  • schelly81
    Options
    Better yet stop discussing the weight loss / calorie counting specifics with them.

great advice, I tend to be open and honest to a fault.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen before.... I just told them I didn't put the weight on overnight, and I do not expect to lose it overnight! I'd much rather lose it in a healthy way then to use some miracle weight loss product that once stopped will help me to gain back even more weight!

Do NOT let the negative Nelly's stop your progress! You are doing this the correct way, and the way that will make it easier to maintain. Keep up the GREAT work!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start talking less about what is going on. This can be a private journey.
    When they do start talking, shut them down politely by saying something like, "Thanks for your interest."
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This!!!

Just smile and nod at them like they are a 5 year old. Tell them you appreciate the concern, but you are more than capable of knowing what is right and sustainable for you. If you want to know how to get the weight off quick, then later regain it all back and then some, you'll then come to them asking for advice.
  • schelly81
    Options
    Why do you need to come back? What do you really gain in the end? Would it make you feel better to retaliate?

well.... yes actually. I'm not looking to put them down, just get them to leave me alone with their advice.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Smart comeback... In a few months I will have lost weight and YOU won't have gained any IQ p[points
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights? If so, you could just say...Do you even lift? Or so, tell me how much you can deadlift...