smart comebacks needed

Options

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a couple people that I'm not losing fast enough. I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, and have lost almost 20 in the last 3 months. It makes me so angry to hear that I should have lost more for all the effort I'm putting in, or I eat too much or should eat 1200 max, cut everything out and go cardio crazy. I think my favorite is when someone they know lost 20 pounds in the first month doing xyz, I should try it. I'm not hangry, I eat min 1500 calories, usually more like 1800-2000. Workout 4 or 5 days a week. Why are people such know-it-all @ssholes?

What should I say to them except to quote the dude " Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

I feel like I'm living your life too because my family sometimes says the same thing to me. Be proud of what you have done and know your doing it at a healthy pace. You always got mfp peeps to cheer you on :P

I always looked at weight loss methods as something you should keep to yourself unless asked and let the results speak for themselves. It can be really hard with family though when you whip out a scale and start weighing your food XD
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with stop discussing it with them and stop putting so much energy into the words of those who don't know jack.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Being mean back to someone most of the time, doesn't work.. It just keeps em going. Now if you start throwing even half factual things at them and they are just being mean, they generally stop because they don't know what they're talking about.
    Or even a "I'm losing weight at my own, comfortable pace and it IS working. Thank you for the advice, but I'm sticking to my plan."
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3ueff7B1T1qaudhfo1_500.gif
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've heard that from my mom...a lot. I tell her I'm doing it right this time.

Personally I love your dude quote...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm much less of an outright smart@ss and more of a passive-aggressive b*tch, so I'd always opt for the slightly pointed remark rather than being aggressive. This would only work if the person is currently on (or has been on) one of those crazy 1200-calorie diets, but you could say something like "You know, I probably could lose weight a little faster if I dropped my calories a little lower, but I just don't know how you can do that! I like being able to eat yummy things and still lose weight. The way I'm doing it, I still get to eat ice cream every day (or whatever example you want to use -- try to pick something they like and miss having) and I've STILL lost 20 pounds so far!"
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on their motive and I'm not sure we can normally read peoples' minds...

If they're purposefully putting you down...consider the source. Do you normally like to interact with people like that? Maybe you do! It kinda sounds like it since you're asking for comebacks. I prefer realising 'what' they are and not engaging.

But! They may be trying to help. That's a being a dolt. I usually nod, listen and internally pity them as they're counselling whole grains and vegetarianism (which made me sicker for almost 17 years) as healthy. Do what you like--including whole grains and vegetarianism BUT in *my* case, it made me very, very ill! I'm not going to be able to describe in this answer or to 'them' all the genetics and biochemistry behind why that won't work for me. And if I had a wonderful ability to do it, they wouldn't believe me. I didn't believe it (hence 17 years getting sicker) until I made the experiment (doctor supervised!!). If they're jerks, well... if they're dolts,, well... You're probably not going to be able to set either straight.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'd just say very kindly that "quick fix" weight loss often has a side effect of later weight gain.

That, or you can tell them that they're brilliant. Then ask if you can have their credit card to pay for your liposuction - which is about as quick as it gets!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Paraphrasing Roosevelt:

"I'm doing what I can, where I am, with what I have - your suggestions will be duly considered".
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Let em work, let em live...

55, stay alive...

ain't skeered...

never been skeered...

ain't gonna be skeered...

can't get skeered...

Maybe the dingo ate your baby...

that's really the only comebacks I can think of, use them wisely.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just say, "I'll consider that!"

Then consider it.

For about a half second.

Then change the subject.
  • blushingbride2bee
    blushingbride2bee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Say to them "M Y O B" and be quiet

if they ask, tell them, I thought you knew everything! that stand for Mind Your Own Business

then kick them in the crotch!

Agreed! haha

A lot of explanations suggested leave a lot of room for a whole conversation or debate on your program. If you really don't want to hear it, you need to be firm and assertive. TRUST ME, people will think twice before making some dumb comments or telling you how they had a friend of a friends mom's twice removed cousin who lost 50 lbs in 5 minutes using XYZ. Try some of these suggestions:

"Thanks for the tip but I think what I'm doing now is working just fine"

"I think I look great, but thanks for the advice anyways"

"thanks but I get a lot of advice therefore I have a few screening criteria questions for you: have you personally tried it? not a friend of a friend etc. If yes, how much weight did you lose, and how much of that weight did you gain back, or did you keep off?"

If someone says something particularly rude you can retort with "Oh my (in sarcastic sweet voice), Wow... what an awful thing to say, you must be so embarrassed" then walk away! One of my faves.

You are doing amazing! Remember any step in the direction of your goals are steps to success, no matter how small or large. You are empowering yourself to have a better health future so ... LET YOUR HATERS BE YOUR MOTIVATORS!
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I suggest a high five
    To the face
    With a chair

yup this everyday
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Tell them that you just found a great way to lose - - -lbs, and walk away.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd just walk off... Great job on your loss!

Rant incoming... I love how once you start to lose weight you become a topic of converstation at work...
    I was in a meeting about biometric clocks and my boss says well if you lose a bunch of weight like Amanda you can't clock in, so they don't work.

Gee thanks for that.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Just smile and say "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have a good one. I teach kids so I'm good at this. Give them a very condescending look, smile, say "my, aren't you special!" Pat on the shoulder. Then walk away or change the subject. They won't know what just happened.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just smile.

Unless the person offering advice happens to be a registered dietitian or practicing medical doctor who I have intentionally sought advice from I just assume they are insecure with their own selves and projecting that onto others so there's no need to validate that by trying to make them feel bad.

I used to run to work, bike home, take six martial arts classes a week while kayaking down class five rivers and skydiving in my spare time and people still wanted to tell me how I could get healthy.

I just smiled.

The majority of folks offering advice do so from the back of a magazine or internet posting. They think they are experts because they read or heard something an expert said.

I know me and thats all I need to know to be fit.

^^What he said^^
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a couple people that I'm not losing fast enough. I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, and have lost almost 20 in the last 3 months. It makes me so angry to hear that I should have lost more for all the effort I'm putting in, or I eat too much or should eat 1200 max, cut everything out and go cardio crazy. I think my favorite is when someone they know lost 20 pounds in the first month doing xyz, I should try it. I'm not hangry, I eat min 1500 calories, usually more like 1800-2000. Workout 4 or 5 days a week. Why are people such know-it-all @ssholes?

What should I say to them except to quote the dude " Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    While ARE these people? They sound horrible.

Just tell them to bug off and mind their own business.

Keep up the good work, by the way!:drinker:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "Let me go write that down so you don't have to tell me again"