What Is Your Resting Heartrate?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    52... at least today. We'll see what it is tomorrow. Maybe that's why I'm so laid back.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mine was around 72 before I started working out. Now it's around 53-60
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is in the mid 90's!

Seems pretty high, however when I go to the doctor, they tell me everything is fine. I have great blood pressure and cholesterol levels. I work out at least 4 times a week. Eat fairly healthy. I DON'T, however, do much cardio. I only do weight training right now. And the few times I do cardio, I am completely out of breath so easily! I know cardio is the best to train the heart muscle.

So I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with a high resting heart rate. Or if yours is low, what do you do to keep it that way? Just pure curiosity.

Used to be 95-100. I am in late 40s with medication-controlled blood pressure and a useless thyroid (take medication for this, too). Cardio for the last two years, with some weight lifting, has it down to resting of about 70. I've talked with my doc a lot about this. He has had me taking annual EKGs since I was 40. He's more conceded about the "wave" than the actual number, within reason of course. He was not worried when I was in the 90s, but he is pleased now that I am at 70.
  • srichbourg
    srichbourg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine is mid to upper 50's. Have you thought about crossfit? You get the benefit of weight training with some cardio added in. Lots of fun!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am currently at rest and my HR is 84.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    55 - 60 bpm. I do something aerobic 2 or 3 times a week to supplement my weight training. Before regular aerobics, it was 70-80.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    48 - 50 when I wake up or if I sit down for more than five minutes. If I stop working out for more than a month, it drifts to 60 or so. If I do intense cardio for three or four days and don't take a rest day it also drifts up to around 60.

That said, the size of your heart, medication you are taking, cardio fitness, stress and other factors have a large effect on heart rate, so comparisons aren't helpful. Generally, sustained regular cardio exercise will lower RHR, whatever other factors are involved.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    58-60 usually now. Used to be higher, but I've been focusing more on running and other cardio than I used to.

Edit, just checked my HR log.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 50. I run, swim, ride horses and practice martial arts. I also do body weight strength training.

For the record, I also drink an absolute butt-load of caffeine (3 cups of coffee in the morning, and 1 or 2 diet sodas in the afternoon).

My low RHR might be genetic, though. It was low even when I was a fat smoker.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Doc said once you hit 30 you have to have a EKG every 2 years. In 2012 when I first started working out it was 72 BPMs and now, 2014, it is 47 BPMs!

Edited to add:
    I lift and do HITT cardio.
    I'm 49 and I've NEVER been told to have an EKG every 2 years. Or at all.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    Doc said once you hit 30 you have to have a EKG every 2 years. In 2012 when I first started working out it was 72 BPMs and now, 2014, it is 47 BPMs!

I am not sure why a doctor would tell you that unless you have a history of heart disease, have had heart surgery, or have some symptoms of heart disease, as noted here:

http://www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists/ekgs-and-exercise-stress-tests/

EDIT: fixed to not quote myself. weird, huh?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    41 to 44 bpm
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Used to be high 60's, now at mid/low-40s. I do daily cardio.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 65-70 RHR to 55-60RHR since I've a got a good 6 weeks under my belt of increased cardio (jogging, HIIT, and circuit training, vs. the old "evening walk" routine of the last 2 years or so) and added heavy lifting 3 days a week. I am excited to see the change for the better. Not that 65-70 is bad, just that I've been a 50-55RHR for the vast majority of my adult life (when I was at a more appropriate active level for myself).
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    Just checking out the responses on my post now. Thanks guys for commenting. Still surprised there aren't many active people like me who also have a RHR in the 90s. When I work out it definitely spikes up, I'm guessing to around 120ish. I'll check it next time I'm lifting.

I do drink caffeine and take preworkout before lifting. Not sure if my daily medication has a high RHR as a side effect.

Thanks again for all the responses!