Ladies - TOM what do you do?

Options
Hey girls. I was wondering what you guys do when it's your TOM and you need to work out. My cramps are bad, but not unmanageable. My real problem is the fact that I wear pads. For a reason that's probably TMI, I can't wear tampons, and trying to work out while wearing a pad is TORTURE. And even if it wasn't, there's no way to wear workout pants with a pad and not have it be glaringly obvious.

Does anyone else have to deal with this? Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    .. Are you sure you can't wear tampons? Sleeping in a panty liner is already difficult- can't imagine working out with it. I go to the gym with cramps, working out always makes the cramps/soreness go away for a short period of time - the only time I get intense cramps is when I'm sitting down/laying down.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Can you wear compression shorts under some running shorts or something? Have you tried a menstrual cup like the Diva Cup? Or maybe just workout at home those days so it doesn't matter what you think you look like?

I've found that working out has made TOM easier on me. Tampons don't work for me, and I hate pads, so I use a Diva Cup. (I know TMI, sorry.)
  • jrgriffin82
    jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate working out when I'm on my period because I just feel gross in general on those days. I have found though that working out while on my period does help some with cramps. I do use tampons but on my really heavy days I prefer to use both, just in case. Could you maybe get some loose fitting sweat pants to wear on those days? If they're a bit baggie in the rear then the pad won't be noticeable.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wear pads too and I am able to work out if you feel uncomfortable where a long shirt to cover your butt or try thin pads it really can not be seen.
  • Suz_8589
    Suz_8589 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mine are deathly bad, the first couple of days I can't workout. As regards to wearing a pad maybe try a workout DVD at home? You can find a lot of free on you tube.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Always Infinity pads are extremely slim and can absorb up to eight hours depending on your flow. They're my go-to and I can't see them in my work-out pants.

Could also try a looser fitting pant too.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you insist on wearing a pad, wear one under a pair of tight-fitting compression shorts, then put a pair of loose basketball shorts or palazzo or harem pants over THAT. Nothing will show, then.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    .. Are you sure you can't wear tampons? Sleeping in a panty liner is already difficult- can't imagine working out with it. I go to the gym with cramps, working out always makes the cramps/soreness go away for a short period of time - the only time I get intense cramps is when I'm sitting down/laying down.

According to my doctor, the reason I can't is because the passage is just too narrow. The only few times I've ever tried they HURT. People told me you're not even supposed to know they're there, and I never stopped feeling them.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    When I'm ON MY PERIOD (none of that TOM crap), I work out exactly as I do when I'm not on my period. Then again, I don't get cramps and I wear tampons. There's always Midol for cramps. I can't imagine there's a way to make a pad less noticeable in tight workout pants - I'd wear snug underwear and baggy sweats if it were me.
  • kikif617
    kikif617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do not work out my first 2 days. The cramps, and I just feel damn right nasty. I also don't work out my last 2 days because honestly that ending period smells nasty as hell. So I avoid sweating on top of already funk. Unfortunately I have my period 7 days. So I only work out about 3-4 of them.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I do not work out my first 2 days. The cramps, and I just feel damn right nasty. I also don't work out my last 2 days because honestly that ending period smells nasty as hell. So I avoid sweating on top of already funk. Unfortunately I have my period 7 days. So I only work out about 3-4 of them.

Smells? Huh? You might want to see a doctor. Even if there is a smell, you shouldn't be able to detect it through your clothing, even while working out.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I suggest baggy pants or a long shirt. You can try working out at home if you still feel uncomfortable, there are plenty of videos online.

I wear tight pants and you really can't see the pad even when squatting.
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    I wear thin pads with wings and put them on a THONG and they shape to the thong and no one will every notice. It doesn't fall or move out of place. Been doing this for years :))
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    What about riding a bike? Doesn't move around too much then! Would have suggested gentle swimming but thats not going to work!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Who cares? seriously. I'm not going to stop working out for a week each month because people can see that I am wearing a pad if they are staring at my butt.

I use tampons, but I am a very heavy bleeder so I always have a pad on as well for back up, the only time I don't wear a pad during my period is when I am on my bike.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    In the past, I didn't do anything because they're that bad. Cramping, heaviness, clotting.

It just wasn't worth the end result.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't work out the first two days. I feel like I look like a murder victim down there. The cramps are horrible even if I take the maximum dose of Advil.

I wear tampons, but if I couldn't I'd check out the Diva Cup. It's a reusable silicone cup. I heard about it on this natural living forum, but I have not tried it, but many eco/green living women swear by it. But then if you can't use a tampon, I'm not sure how comfortable a Diva Cup would be for you.

I'd do what a previous poster suggested. Wear a non-bulky bad, very tight shorts so that the pad doesn't move, and then over that wear comfortable shorts or loose yoga pants.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I take some Tylenol and carry on.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't workout the first two-three days. I am a big baby like that.:)
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I get cysts, and when the cysts get bad, wearing pads helps to lessen the pain. In all honesty, I tend to take a few days off from 'intense' workouts, and let myself take a break by just taking long walks or doing a lot of stretching/such. That's because i feel really crappy though, and the pain does tend to make me very ill/be quite unbearable.

I agree with Lj3jones here: if the aesthetic differences in wearing a pad is what's stopping you, then i encourage you to stop giving a crap what other people think, asap! It's not like you can do anything about the way that your body reacts, its not as though you exist for ANYbody's viewing pleasure, and it's not as though people should be staring at your crotch while you're at the gym anyways.

If it makes you that uncomfortable, maybe you could purchase some cheap weights, and merely jog around your neighborhood/lift at home for a few days every month?