Ladies - TOM what do you do?

Options

Replies

• kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work out. It makes the cramps go away, and energizes me. Win win!
    Me too, not only that, it seems to really help with the bloat.
    I don't do pads, I feel like I'm wearing a diaper, personally. I do believe the 'sports' type of tampons [Playtex Sport/Gentle Glide, for example] are more narrow and flex easier. They also have the Jr. size tampons. I have tried the Diva Cup, it's okay. I just prefer tampons. They have two fit options for the cup, if you're narrow, size 1 may work.

Hope you find something that makes you feel comfortable inside and out.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It might sound gross, but what about trying just not wearing anything? I have heavy flow and normally wear tampons, but lately I've been trying to not use them as much as possible due to intense vaginal/rectal pain I get from endometriosis. I've been experimenting with moon cups, those are ok, but I find I don't bleed much during a workout and definitely not through my workout pants when I'm running (they're black, of course, and I don't wear underwear with them), so I've just been going without and jump in the shower after a workout. Maybe I'm disgusting, but I feel great :-)
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i still workout. im a treadmill queen.. i might just WALK instead of run though. also, i get samples in the mail and i tried Tena Serenity Active Ultra Thin pads and i thought they were amazing. lol. try those? so i read that you kinda get a chaffing type of thing.. try looser clothes. like a cotton material instead of a compression pant. yoga pants made of cotton from like walmart should be good.

and then right after working out change out of the clothes you were in.. take a bath and whatnot.. you should be fine.. i hope. good luck regardless.

and as far as the cramps.. they say working out makes it better.. but id also recommend a waist trimmer belt. they help you sweat.. feels really good on me personally during that time. also helps with some of the bloat.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My problem is more migraines in the first day or two, rather than hygiene...I think the compression shorts will help with the chafing, though. i have a pair and they are amazing.

If I can catch a migraine as it's developing and get it to a manageable level, then I'll go work out, but if it's gone DEF-CON WHITE, then fuggedaboutit...

(FWIW, I have Mirena, and haven't needed pads/tampons in 5 years...it's AWESOME!)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I wear pads too. Yesterday I did a pretty rigorous 40 minutes on the elliptical with pads on, just bring a change of pads for right after your workout and you'll be fine :)

Also, be sure you're not going too hard. I got really lightheaded yesterday after my workout. Women can burn from 100-200 extra calories a day during their period, and then there's the loss of blood... so if you're even slightly anemic, just be careful and listen to your body. If you're not in pain, there's no reason not to at least do something in terms of working out :)

When I'm having intense cramps (and I do) I don't work out usually cuz I can't even get out of bed.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My problem is more migraines in the first day or two, rather than hygiene...

Holy crap - I used to get migraines the day before my period showed up, and those can be debilitating. Yeah, definitely forget doing anything when those things go nuclear.
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also get migraines usually the day before. Then I take midol and will go on a light walk instead of working out. it just makes me want to hurl and I feel so terrible, I don't do any type of hard work out. My periods are short 3-4 days, but intense and painful. I only use tampons.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do not work out my first 2 days. The cramps, and I just feel damn right nasty. I also don't work out my last 2 days because honestly that ending period smells nasty as hell. So I avoid sweating on top of already funk. Unfortunately I have my period 7 days. So I only work out about 3-4 of them.

Smells? Huh? You might want to see a doctor. Even if there is a smell, you shouldn't be able to detect it through your clothing, even while working out.

This isn't entirely true. Some people can just smell it. I had an ex who could smell when any woman was on her period just by standing by her and through her clothing. After learning that from him I have been self conscious about it.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love how some people are spending all their time in this thread questioning why the OP can't use tampoons or how they really should be able to instead of offering advice.

I can't wear them either. They flat out don't fit and it is a medical condition. I can insert them and they will be painful and work their way back out. I have no choice what so ever but to wear pads.

My recommendation is to get some slightly baggy black pants to wear during TOM at the gym. I just do that and get on the treadmill.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how this is an issue? Wear baggy pants when you exercise so no one can see your pad, problem solved.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It might sound gross, but what about trying just not wearing anything? I have heavy flow and normally wear tampons, but lately I've been trying to not use them as much as possible due to intense vaginal/rectal pain I get from endometriosis. I've been experimenting with moon cups, those are ok, but I find I don't bleed much during a workout and definitely not through my workout pants when I'm running (they're black, of course, and I don't wear underwear with them), so I've just been going without and jump in the shower after a workout. Maybe I'm disgusting, but I feel great :-)

Interesting...I honestly couldn't do this. I would leave blood everywhere at least the first two days. The last day of my period I can get away with just a panty liner.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do not work out my first 2 days. The cramps, and I just feel damn right nasty. I also don't work out my last 2 days because honestly that ending period smells nasty as hell. So I avoid sweating on top of already funk. Unfortunately I have my period 7 days. So I only work out about 3-4 of them.

Smells? Huh? You might want to see a doctor. Even if there is a smell, you shouldn't be able to detect it through your clothing, even while working out.

This isn't entirely true. Some people can just smell it. I had an ex who could smell when any woman was on her period just by standing by her and through her clothing. After learning that from him I have been self conscious about it.

Seconded.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    ummm where does the blood go? Please don't get it all over the equipment, gross...
  • naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wear a menstrual cup.

seriously, no leaks (holds 2-3 tampon's worth) no smell, no chafing, no string, no TSS risk. :) haven't missed an exercise day during my period since!

there are over 30 different brands though so don't automatically buy a mooncup/divacup as they happen to be lower capacity.
    I admin a couple of closed facebook menstrual cup support groups so happy to answer pm's or add people to the group :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/135522973313456/
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If chafing is an issue, maybe some anti chafe cream like Bodyglide or Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream ( that one doesn't contain menthol. but many chamois creams do, so be careful what you substitute according to what's available)
    Try different brands too - I find Bodyform pads okay, but Always chafe me - something to do with the topsheet design. Possibly washable pads are worth considering as cloth might be less irritating, if you don't mind the soaking and washing.
    Remember too, nobody normal is going to be looking at you closely enough to notice - they'll all be too absorbed in themselves ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I take a shot to make it go away...now I don't have to deal with it ever.

I skipped once due to diet and training and practically threw a gorram party.

I marched into my doctor's office and said that was the best thing EVER... give me seasonque or whatever drugs you have to make it stop happening as frequently as possible.

So now I have like 3 or 4 a year- it's magical.

saves me a lot of money on period products... although I seriously consider using the diva cup- I just haven't worked up the nerve yet LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Seconded.

I can smell myself- even NOT on my period- after a long sweaty workout- it dries- I can smell myself- particularly my lady flavours.

I'm perfectly healthy wash regularly and have regular check ups an no abnormal anything... but I can sure smell that smell. waft... <gag>
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If chafing is an issue, maybe some anti chafe cream like Bodyglide or Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream ( that one doesn't contain menthol. but many chamois creams do, so be careful what you substitute according to what's available)
    Try different brands too - I find Bodyform pads okay, but Always chafe me - something to do with the topsheet design. Possibly washable pads are worth considering as cloth might be less irritating, if you don't mind the soaking and washing.
    Remember too, nobody normal is going to be looking at you closely enough to notice - they'll all be too absorbed in themselves ;)

I'd think fabric pads would totally be the way to go, now that I think of it. They snap over your undies so they stay in place better, you can make your own out of a more comfortable material if the first one you try doesn't work for you..... seems like it would fit your needs all the way around.
  • naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    don't know very much about this DivaCup, but isn't it something that gets inserted too? The problem isn't really the discomfort, it's the fact that there isn't enough SPACE for a tampon. If the DivaCup is something that gets inserted, I likely can't use that either.

ETA: The appearance of the pad through workout pants is a really a very minor thing to me. I just thought I'd add it to see what other people do. The reason the pad bothers me is chafing, because even though the pad stays where it should in my underwear, my underwear moves against my skin.

there are over 30 brands of menstrual cups in a variety of sizes, capacities and colours. the smallest is 40mms by 40mms which is great for lower cervixes (that might be why there doesn't seem to be enough space for tampons?) many many virgins even use 'large' sized cups if they need the capacity. 'tightness' is all about learning to relax you muscles. :)

cloth pads could be another option as they are loads more comfortable and absorbent. tighter snug fitting underwear prevents the pad or your underwear moving around. Precious Star Pads has a youtube video on this on her channel. (she's 17 and reviews and sells cloth pads and cups)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    ummm where does the blood go? Please don't get it all over the equipment, gross...

Yep, if I don't feel like I got enough blood and uterine lining on that seat, I make sure to go back for a second round. Talk about internal motivation and dedication! I would certainly break my no-gym rule if you let me know where you go. Gotta spread my sloughing uterine cells whenever and wherever I can!

But really, I don't go to a gym because they're filthy, revolting, poop-holes. I run outside in the bosom of good ol' mother nature and lift weights and do body weight resistance at home or on the beach.

You think menstrual blood on the equipment is gross? Guess what? Every kind of human secretion is smothered all over those machines already, so get used to the idea of swimming in other people's filth.

However, I just don't bleed much while I'm exercising other than a spot or two that doesn't leak through my pants. Once I sit down to pee after my run, it all flows on out (hope you have a vivid imagination.) I have very very heavy periods due to advanced endometriosis, but I have to guess something physiologically happens while I'm running that clenches everything up and keeps it all in there- no idea why, but it does. I do workout pretty hard, running between 5-9 miles at a decent pace, so maybe the intensity at which I workout has something to do with it.

It's worth a try if the OP can't insert anything like tampons and is uncomfortable while wearing pads. Cardio is one of the only things that can get me through my worst periods, I'm prescribed Percocet and that doesn't even reduce the pain as well as forcing myself to do a good run does.