AM or PM workouts

Options
124»

Replies

• tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do both but the advantage to AM workouts is that its done already for the day. If you are too tired after work or have something to do you don't have to worry about getting your workout in.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can get there....... Always carry a gym bag when you leave the house
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I work a 8-5 job , able to workout either before or after work. I'm weighing out my pros & cos workout in the am or pm. What do you prefer?

I'm a zombie in the morning, there's no way in hell I'd be productive in the gym if going before work. Nothing against people who do it in the morning, but I'm more likely to hit the snooze button. I find it more effective for me to go after work or during lunch if I have the extra time.
  • vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am an afternooner as I have to be to work so early in the morning
  • kmkylemo
    kmkylemo Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I'm not a morning person so I do my workouts at night. Also in my mind I feel like the later workouts burn more of the calories I ate earlier in the day but that's just me.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I like mornings, partly because there's less chance of getting tired or sidetracked and not getting around to working out. But also because I like to walk and run outside, and for a significant portion of the year it's scorchingly hot outside after the sun comes up.

That said, I also do aerobics in the afternoon, just because that's when I had a free spot in my schedule. It's harder to get motivated, but I'm trying to stick with it.
    I get that for some people. For me, I'm training for my 8th full marathon and trying to get back down to race weight. I don't want to get up extra early, have less sleep so have a less productive workout, then be rushing through my workout because I know I have to be at work by 6:30am. Nope.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the mornings because it wakes me up. But I've also gotten into doing stuff in the evening; it's cooler out, and a lot easier to unwind after a long day. Makes me feel awesome before bed too!
  • xRedRockerx
    xRedRockerx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In general I prefer working out in the morning. When I do DVDs I find its easier to motivate myself and keep to a schedule in the mornings and anything like swimming or the gym tends to be emptier; When I run I normally do so late afternoon, although now it's warmer in the mornings I'll do whichever. I used to workout before I went to bed but I could never stick to it and I was so tired that I'd often be unable to do it properly - I'd just want to relax!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I break it up... do about 2 to 3 workouts in the evening.. the rest in the early am. Seems to work for me!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    MORNINGS! After working all day, I feel sluggish and not as motivated to get in the gym and actually push myself, I just go through the motions. So it's better to go in there early in the mornings before your day even starts and just knock it out and then you have the rest of your day to not even worry about it

Yep, mornings! Its definitely hard to get to the gym, but by the time I pull up I'm 90% awake and with a sip of water and warm up cardio im ready to hit the weights, get er done, and get on with my day! Ive found that if I schedule evening workouts I'm more likely to feel tired from work, choose a social activity instead, or make excuses. In the morning I'm too sleepy to make excuses, just leave my clothes and shoes lined up in the bathroom, roll out of bed, get dressed, grab water and keys, go! Been steadily doing MWF 6:00 workouts for 4 months now, most consistent I've been in years!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm a zombie in the morning, there's no way in hell I'd be productive in the gym if going before work. Nothing against people who do it in the morning, but I'm more likely to hit the snooze button. I find it more effective for me to go after work or during lunch if I have the extra time.

Me too. It's too easy for me to hit snooze, or grab another cup of coffee and veg out on the couch in the morning, I'm NOT a morning person. So it's evening for me. Plus sometimes I work out in my apartment and exercising is generally too much noise for 6 am in a second floor apartment.
  • amongstthewildflowers
    amongstthewildflowers Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the mornings, I have more energy and overall even have a better workout then if I am to workout in the evening.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I do my running in the morning, generally leaving the house just after it's light enough to see the road clearly (so around 5:15ish). Then my hubby and I walk together after I drop the kids off at school so generally around 8:45 is when we leave the house (during the school year; in summer we walk much earlier). We live in So. Calilfornia and any later than about 9:30am it's just too blasted hot to spend much time working hard outdoors :laugh:. We don't have gym memberships anymore so we work with what we've got.