I hate protein drinks!!!

Options
matai808
matai808 Posts: 14 Member
Any advice on how to make protein shakes taste better! Or is there a really good tasting one out there. I need to drink a protein shake to help with my protein intake as well as to keep me full longer but I can't stand the taste

Replies

• woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    - Switch water with whole/1%/2% milk.
    - Blend in fruit, berries, veg, etc
    - Blend in ice for texture
    - Try another flavor or brand
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    ^ What that person said.

The only protein powder I enjoy, and I enjoy it a lot, is CSN 100% Pro Whey Standard. It's a local brand, though, so you'd have to get it online. I also hear good things about BSN Dessert protein powder.

I've tried two other brands, Oh Yeah! and the oh-so-popular Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey protein powder. Compared to mine, these are just gross.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hold your breath and chug, then follow up with water. There isn't much of another way, unless you want to add a bunch of stuff to it. That's how I get mine down because I don't want to add stuff to them. They just taste like booty, and there's not much to be done about the base shake flavor.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Good ones taste fine...

If you mix them with milk, and not water :sick:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I buy expensive protein powder because I'm super picky.

The best one I have ever tried is Trutein. Favorite flavors are choc peanut butter, and cinnabun. Mmixing with unsweetened vanilla almond milk does a lot to improve the taste as well.

Edit: These people have posted thorough and helpful reviews: http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/Body_Nutrition/Trutein/
  • matai808
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I had to chug mine down while holding my breath???? and know my stomach hurts and I feel like barfing ♨️:sick:
  • RonJr88
    RonJr88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in mine..I use Vitamin shop chocolate mint and or vanilla ....I also add things like banana's,berry's peanut butter.If I am out of almond milk I use milk..not water.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Trutein is DELICIOUS. I tried it, because it was always rated as the best-tasting on all the websites I went to when researching a good shake to buy. For good reason, all their flavors are amazing. I like vanilla best, for its versatility. I can mix anything in it and change the flavor.
  • matai808
    Options
    Hold your breath and chug, then follow up with water. There isn't much of another way, unless you want to add a bunch of stuff to it. That's how I get mine down because I don't want to add stuff to them. They just taste like booty, and there's not much to be done about the base shake flavor.

You have me rolling with the booty taste ????
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I blend mine with instant coffee mix, doing this changed my life.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just a thought: if you're on a calorie-restricted diet (as many of us here are!) maybe "spending" your calories on a supplement that you really don't like isn't going to work well for you over the long term? There are lots of ways to get more protein in your diet without protein supplements.

I don't like protein shakes either -- so I don't eat them. My protein intake is 135 on non-strength days and 150ish on strength days. It's difficult sometimes, but doable. Generally requires that I eat generous portions of lean meat 2 meals a day, plenty of dairy (both skim milk and greek yogurt daily), beans and whole grains to supplement / top off my protein. I limit my favorite low-protein meals (pizza, various tofu and and noodle dishes) to non-strength days, or else I have to really gorge on meat at another meal LOL.

Works for me, ymmv. My diary is open, feel free to cruise through for ideas. I do have a moderately high calorie plan, but then I'm losing weight pretty fast because of all the exercise.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love the vanilla flavor Swanson's whey protein. Delicious with almond milk, even just almond milk. Really good to make an iced coffee latte with almond milk, coffee and sweetener, blended thick with ice.
    Also great in any smoothie. The unsweetened almond milk has so few calories and so do many berries like frozen blueberries or strawberries.
    I also love fake crab, canned smoked oysters and ceviche ( I make it with salmon or shrimp) as a snack. I also like Greek yogurt and tuna made into a tuna salad.
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe....tastes like a chocolate milkshake in my opinion:

Optimum Nutrition - Whey Protein, Gold Standard 100%, Double Rich Chocolate (Europe), 30.4 g
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk, Dark Chocolate, 1 Cup (240mL)
  • RestartingAgain1
    Options
    -1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    -1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    -1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    -1 cup skim milk

PUMPKIN PIE PROTEIN SHAKE!
  • SilverSTreakST
    SilverSTreakST Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk chocolate flavor, mixed with unsweetened almond milk - tastes GREAT!
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you like coffee?

One scoop MaxPro tiramisu flavor
    One cup brewed black coffee
    One tablespoon creamer/half and half
    Dash vanilla extract
    Ice
    Blend
    NOM.
  • MelissaLane1984
    Options
    Try the Special K protien shakes. That is what I am drinking and I haven't come across one yet that I don't enjoy.
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe....tastes like a chocolate milkshake in my opinion:

Optimum Nutrition - Whey Protein, Gold Standard 100%, Double Rich Chocolate (Europe), 30.4 g
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk, Dark Chocolate, 1 Cup (240mL)

I also use chocolate whey protein, silk soy dark chocolate (or sometimes half dark chololate almond and 1/2 cup unsweetened original silk almond milk), tsp of instant coffee and cup of ice and blend in blender. Coffee mocha drink that takes great!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I had to chug mine down while holding my breath???? and know my stomach hurts and I feel like barfing ♨️:sick:

could be the same reason why I can't handle it...I'm allergic to all forms of dairy. I thought it was lactose, than I thought it was casein. I tried the whey protein powder and still felt like I was going to explode. I now just use almond milk, cocoa powder, peanut butter and hemp hearts. If you google dairy free protein powders, you might find something. They are more expensive, but at least you won't feel like you're dying.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    1) Get fruity ones not milky ones... i.e. Syntrax Nectar as Cherry, Lemonade, Kiwi Strawberry, Apple, Grape, etc. With just water (play with the ratio - you dont have to use 8oz per scoop, make it stronger or weaker) - it tastes like koolaid.

2) Eat it instead of drink it - mix the powder with just a little water and stir and its basically pudding. Add an egg and/or egg whites and cook it like a pancake (dont expect it to taste like one...) - put some sugar free fruit spread on top or something and its definitely tolerable (some powders work well with this, some dont... have to experiment).

3) Mix the powder into something else (can use flavored or get the unflavored kinds). Be open - it can be mixed in with greek yogurt, regular yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, soups, mashed potatoes etc.

4) Dont feel you have to have a whole scoop at once. Using 1/4 scoop 4 times gets the same results. So when mixing with food, just add enough to where you can still eat it - if a whole scoop is too much or overpowers the food, use 1/2 or 1/4 cup. Same thing with mixing as a shake - I take a 1/2 scoop of fruity flavored kinds, mixed with 1-2 ounce water and drink it like a shot (strong koolaid). I started out with less powder to water but after awhile I liked it stronger. Do that 4-5 times a day and you get 2-3 scoops.

5) Get Body360 Whey Protein crunchies (natural and cocoa). The natural basically has no flavor but adds crunch... Put it into yogurt or cereal and its like adding granola crunch type feel to it, without changing any flavor. 1/2 cup crunchies has 24g protein. That stuff is awesome :)

6) Mix it in hot drinks - tea or coffee. I like hot earl grey tea with white chocolate flavored protein powder and white chocolate flavored sugar free syrup... like white hot cocoa. Another favorite is caramel toffee fudge protein powder with caramel or english toffee flavored sugar free syrup in a hot cup of tea...

7) Look into Invisiwhey... basically just blends into anything and is pure protein. Mashed potatoes, soup, etc. it has no flavor. Just mix as much as you can without making it where it changes the texture. Can also mix it into hot or cold tea or coffee.

Basically, look at what you already eat/drink and see if you can find a way to add it there. Remember, dont have to use a whole scoop. Even 1 tsp added to something you drink or eat regularly will add up.