I hate protein drinks!!!

Options

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe....tastes like a chocolate milkshake in my opinion:

Optimum Nutrition - Whey Protein, Gold Standard 100%, Double Rich Chocolate (Europe), 30.4 g
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk, Dark Chocolate, 1 Cup (240mL)

I like ON too. So far, their Extreme Chocolate is my favorite.

But protein powder on its own will only take you so far. As others have said, mix it with some type of milk. I usually use nonfat dairy, but vanilla soy and vanilla almond milks are also good. The combination will get you up to mediocre.

If you want to turn it into something really good and you can afford the calories, add in a banana and a couple cups of different types of frozen fruits like blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, cherries, etc. It's like ice cream, both in texture and taste.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you hate them then don’t drink them, get your protein from real food. I will NEVER understand people that say "I can't get all my protein in." I happen to love them so I make room for them in my macros but only because it’s a like a delicious milkshake treat to me after a workout, plus it something nice and cold after being a hot sweaty mess. I always take the few extra minutes to make them in the blender with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, ice, and sweetener though. For me it helps with my cravings for sweets because its basically a delicious shake as a reward for working out but way more macro friendly then actually getting an ice cream shake.

If you haven't tried Cellucor's line of powders and are still looking for a tasty brand they are my absolute favorite. Your really can't go wrong with any of their flavors but Mint Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Peanut Butter Marshmallow, and Cinnamon Bun are my top 3. I have their S ‘mores flavor coming in a bodybuilding.com shipment; I'll have to reply back on how good it is.

Also their cake batter line is yummy but I prefer to bake and make pancakes with them (Red Velvet and Fun-fetti cake batter flavors!)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to have them. Try some greek yoghurt. That way you dont get all the other crap thats in the shakes and it so tastes better.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I blend mine with instant coffee mix, doing this changed my life.

woah.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you hate them why drink them? I just don't understand
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on here and I LOVE IT!
    1 scoop of chocolate protein mix that you like (I like the vitamin shoppe's swiss chocolate)
    1 or 2 tablespoons of PB2 (powdered peanut butter protein, can find on amazon)
    8oz vanilla sweetened almond milk (I like blue diamond the best)
    ICE

Blend and it reminds me of recees peanut butter cup! Definitely keeps me full
  • jim180155
    Options
    It seems like everybody's using ice in their smoothies. I never have ice when I need it. I do have a lot of frozen chicken. I wonder if that would work.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    whey

blueberries

honey

coconut milk
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It seems like everybody's using ice in their smoothies. I never have ice when I need it. I do have a lot of frozen chicken. I wonder if that would work.

????????
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Harried man from the Legal Department runs up, pants for a second, and takes a deep breath.

"Please don't try this at home. We on the internet do not condone nor endorse the consumption of raw chicken, even in frozen form. We will not be held liable if you're too stupid to realize, I mean, we strongly recommend that you follow all safe food handling protocols. If you need assistance, please go to a reputable source on the internet like foodsafety.gov. Thank you."

A few deep breaths. "I think we're safe, do you think we're safe. God I hope no one sues us. Wait, what do you mean the camera is still on?"
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to find a protein that I liked and now that I have I am never switching again. I LOVE the Protogen protein blend from bodybuilding.com. It's a whey/casein mix so it's good for any time of day. My fav is the chocolate but I have a tub of all three flavors on top of my fridge right now. It's best mixed with milk but still pretty good mixed with water. I've also used it to make protein crepes, cookies, and berry pancakes. Y.U.M.
  • jim180155
    Options

Harried man from the Legal Department runs up, pants for a second, and takes a deep breath.

"Please don't try this at home. We on the internet do not condone nor endorse the consumption of raw chicken, even in frozen form. We will not be held liable if you're too stupid to realize, I mean, we strongly recommend that you follow all safe food handling protocols. If you need assistance, please go to a reputable source on the internet like foodsafety.gov. Thank you."

A few deep breaths. "I think we're safe, do you think we're safe. God I hope no one sues us. Wait, what do you mean the camera is still on?"

Here, hold my beer.
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options

OMG I laughed so hard my coworker started looking at me funny!

If your problem is a texture thing I've found that "soaking" my shakes help. I make it up the night before in a blender bottle and then put it in my fridge and let it sit overnight. In the morning I shake it back up really well and add a few ice cubes to make it really cold. I've found that soaking it gets the grittiness out and makes it much more pleasant for me to drink.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

OMG I laughed so hard my coworker started looking at me funny!

If your problem is a texture thing I've found that "soaking" my shakes help. I make it up the night before in a blender bottle and then put it in my fridge and let it sit overnight. In the morning I shake it back up really well and add a few ice cubes to make it really cold. I've found that soaking it gets the grittiness out and makes it much more pleasant for me to drink.

Another option is frozen fruit or half-thawed frozen fruit.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Body Fortress - 1/2 scoop
    1 cup Almond milk unsweetened (original or vanilla)
    1 serving No sugar added Breyers ice cream (currently trying the caramel swirl)
    Add water to desired volume
  • Sharon468
    Sharon468 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat real food instead of processed chemicals. You'll be way healthier even if you end up with a few less grams of protein.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    ABB Pure Pro 50g RTD. Google it, Vitamin Shoppe sells it. I prefer chocolate, cookies and cream, and peanut butter falvors. They taste amazing, low cal, low sodium, low sugar, high protein. Only caveat is, they are kind of pricey. I believe in the old adage, you get what you pay for.
  • matai808
    matai808 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you hate them why drink them? I just don't understand

It was recommended that I drink some form of protein drink to help me feel full longer. I only get 1220 calories per day and to get 64 grams of protein a day i would have to eat nothing but leAn meats because I can't do dairy
  • travelingangie
    travelingangie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use 1 cup water, half cup almond milk, 1 scoop Jay Robb vanilla protein powder, 4 or 5 frozen strawberries, half or whole frozen banana blended to a creamy finish in a decent blender. You can also add a few drops of vanilla extract and a few drops of stevia.
  • tanishabearr
    tanishabearr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I blend mine with instant coffee mix, doing this changed my life.

I think I may have just found an excuse to have my morning coffee again! (: