Should food stamps be used for sweetened drinks?

Options
I don't think so but the beverage industry is fighting the banning of food stamps for sweetened drinks...

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2014/june/snap.html

Joanne Moniz
The Skinny on Obesity Group

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    As long as people aren't trying to buy alcohol with it and they're able to feed their families I don't see why it should matter.
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If government wants to regulate something, why not go directly after the sweet drink manufacturers. If "its very likely to reduce type-2 diabetes and obesity among low-income Americans" (- See more at: http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2014/june/snap.html#sthash.dLAfgVPp.dpuf), why stop there? Lets reduce type 2 diabetes and obesity for ALL Americans by implementing a Warning label such as the ones on cigarettes, to warn EVERYONE that sugary drinks may cause type 2 diabetes or obesity.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My opinion, what business is it of yours what people spend their benefits on as long as they're not breaking laws?
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    I grew up with them and we were literally poor. That suger drink was valued in the house and it was in small quantities. As a matter of fact it wasn't enough for all of us that I used to sit next to the trash and ask the kids for their uneaten burgers they were about to toss. I can go on and on about this but I'm not. I can't stand people who abuse the system when their is real poor people out there who indeed need it.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    People should be able to buy what they want. It is a waste of resources to police peoples diets. Next it will be coffee (not a nutrient dense food) or bags of sugar (not a nutrient dense food) someone might use to make kool-aid or bake a birthday cake with.
  • catecholamine
    catecholamine Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Leave them alone. What about diet drinks? Should they not be allowed to be purchased with food stamps? People should be able to buy what food they want. If that's coke for their kid's birthday party, then fine. Food stamps aren't much money anyway, so if you waste your money on drinks, you wont have it for food. The government shouldn't be the food police.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There should be no food stamps.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Who cares?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I imagine that would include soy milk and almond milk, since there is both a sweetened and unsweetened version.

Who cares as long as they aren't breaking laws!

SUGAR IS NOT THE DEVIL.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, ever the same, MFP. Ever the same.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    who cares
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Policing other people's grocery baskets is like the epitome of a Nanny State.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Exactly.

We should let the poor and disabled starve, damn it!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I imagine that would include soy milk and almond milk, since there is both a sweetened and unsweetened version.

Who cares as long as they aren't breaking laws!

SUGAR IS NOT THE DEVIL.

giphy.gif
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You can't target one group of people. Education is the answer, not regulation.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS DANGEROUS!!!

Ghostbusters-Stay-Puft-Man-04.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Exactly.

We should let the poor and disabled starve, damn it!

And after that we should get rid of the free lunch programs at school. I mean, kids shouldn't eat if they can't support themselves. /sarcasm
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That's sad. Most families use food stamps the best way they can. For people in need, food stamps alone are not even enough.
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If on welfare Absolutley not. All thier food should not be proceed either. Food stamps were created to help people not enable them to be lazy. If they want to buy junk then go get a job. I shouldnt have to pay for you to eat horrible and stay home become fat and then have that be the next reason I have to pay more taxes.
This discussion has been closed.