Should food stamps be used for sweetened drinks?

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If on welfare Absolutley not. All thier food should not be proceed either. Food stamps were created to help people not enable them to be lazy. If they want to buy junk then go get a job. I shouldnt have to pay for you to eat horrible and stay home become fat and then have that be the next reason I have to pay more taxes.

In regards to the non processed food it is generally a lot cheaper to buy a frozen pizza for example than it is to buy all the ingredients to make said pizza including fresh toppings for it. Unfortunately we also live in a day and age where not everyone can get a job due to limited availability. In general most people are 2/3 pay cheques away from potentially losing their home, car, lifestyle. There is no such thing as a "job for life anymore". Life can be a house of cards and if the rug gets ripped out from under you well we can all end up making sacrifices and choices we'd rather not have to.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to look at someone else's life and make judgements about what they should be doing, isn't it? Especially when you've never walked in their shoes.
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If on welfare Absolutley not. All thier food should not be proceed either. Food stamps were created to help people not enable them to be lazy. If they want to buy junk then go get a job. I shouldnt have to pay for you to eat horrible and stay home become fat and then have that be the next reason I have to pay more taxes.

Go tell one of the 900,000 military veterans on food stamps what they can and cannot buy.

Re-Read my statement. I SAID ON WELFARE NOT MILITARY
  • sowich25
    Options

In regards to the non processed food it is generally a lot cheaper to buy a frozen pizza for example than it is to buy all the ingredients to make said pizza including fresh toppings for it. Unfortunately we also live in a day and age where not everyone can get a job due to limited availability. In general most people are 2/3 pay cheques away from potentially losing their home, car, lifestyle. There is no such thing as a "job for life anymore". Life can be a house of cards and if the rug gets ripped out from under you well we can all end up making sacrifices and choices we'd rather not have to.
    Medical Bills would be higher then learning to live on a budget like the rest of us. But then again the NON Working people dont care about who is paying thier bills because we are.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most processed foods contain added sugar: bread, cereal, pastries. It's not really junk food that causes obesity, it's a glut of calories and a lack of moderation. A big portion of one's diet can be comprised of simple sugars without necessarily causing harm, if a person does not overeat, has varied foods, and exercises often. Of course, a 2 $ bag of rice is going to be of more help to a family in genuine need than $10 of canned water mixed with corn syrup.

Just some food for thought: I have seen a great deal of abuse in the current system. I have watched hundreds of dollars of food go into the trash because someone wanted to purchase an expensive good on food stamps, then asked the vendor to heat it in a microwave - which under state law, bars it from purchase with food aid. This waste causes the price of products to rise for every customer, rich and poor. I have seen many price jumps over the past year, while wages stay the same.

Speaking of aid, if the government is funding something then they have the authority to determine how those funds are allocated for the maximum possible benefit and the least harm to both the recipient and system. It may not be feasible to regulate the kinds of food a person can buy on food stamps, but all Americans should be encouraged to have a role in deciding how their money is spent. It's not "none of your business" or "walk a day in their shoes" when the money has been confiscated from the taxpayer.
  • sowich25
    Options
    It's really easy to look at someone else's life and make judgements about what they should be doing, isn't it? Especially when you've never walked in their shoes.
    I live on a budget everyday. So your telling me you need soda, sugar, and procedded crap to be with in your budget. Because I find a way to do with out it.Since you have no idea about my way of living please dont tell me I dont walk in thier shoes.
  • sowich25
    Options
    Most processed foods contain added sugar: bread, cereal, pastries. It's not really junk food that causes obesity, it's a glut of calories and a lack of moderation. A big portion of one's diet can be comprised of simple sugars without necessarily causing harm, if a person does not overeat, has varied foods, and exercises often. Of course, a 2 $ bag of rice is going to be of more help to a family in genuine need than $10 of canned water mixed with corn syrup.

Just some food for thought: I have seen a great deal of abuse in the current system. I have watched hundreds of dollars of food go into the trash because someone wanted to purchase an expensive good on food stamps, then asked the vendor to heat it in a microwave - which under state law, bars it from purchase with food aid. This waste causes the price of products to rise for every customer, rich and poor. I have seen many price jumps over the past year, while wages stay the same.

Speaking of aid, if the government is funding something then they have the authority to determine how those funds are allocated for the maximum possible benefit and the least harm to both the recipient and system. It may not be feasible to regulate the kinds of food a person can buy on food stamps, but all Americans should be encouraged to have a role in deciding how their money is spent. It's not "none of your business" or "walk a day in their shoes" when the money has been confiscated from the taxpayer.
    So true
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My opinion, what business is it of yours what people spend their benefits on as long as they're not breaking laws?

Completely agree. And I don't see an issue with food stamps being used for sweetened drinks.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

Go tell one of the 900,000 military veterans on food stamps what they can and cannot buy.

Do you not realize many of our veterans are on welfare?
  • sowich25
    Options
    Since it is my money and everyother tax payers money we should have a say in it. Eat healthy stay healthy. Why is it when I go to the store I have to sit with coupons in my hand and by the needed items and I have to wait for welfare scum that dont work to cash out a cart full of garbage food and soda. This is fair to the working man, if you think so your the reason for the State of this Country you are the enabler to the lazy idiots that collect off our system.

Now if it is a person in need sure help them and I know from personal experience you do not abuse the sytem by buying junk. You get what is best for your family.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The Red Neck is strong in this thread...
  • sowich25
    Options

Let me rephrase NON Working welfare
  • sowich25
    Options

This...I dare ya!
    NON Working welfare
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

What does that even mean?

1. There are many people on welfare who work, but can't make enough to live.

2. There are many veterans on welfare who don't work, for whatever reason.

You can't just make up terms that don't exist and expect to have a discussion.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Medical Bills would be higher then learning to live on a budget like the rest of us. But then again the NON Working people dont care about who is paying thier bills because we are.

Umm but people who live on benefits are by definition having to live on a budget dictated by the level of income they receive in the form of benefits. Additionally I can't speak for the US system but in the UK a deduction is made towards National Insurance contributions from awarded benefits so they are in fact still paying taxes and contributing to the NHS for healthcare costs. Plus the reason deductions are made from working peoples salaries is so that the funds are there to help if somebody ceases to be employed for a period of time. It's supposed to be a safety net not a lifestyle choice.

The unemployment system here is extremely complicated and people are sanctioned on benefit payments a lot of the time. Which essentially leaves them with zero income coming in. This has then increased the use of food banks, and when people do find work they are immediately cut from benefits so they generally have a month with no income for food/travel/living expenses. The system is extremely flawed.
  • sowich25
    Options

English is tough for you, so I will break it down for ya.
    1) Have never went to work
    2) Have no intention to go to work
    3) Family is generational on welfare
    4) Teach their kids to scam the system
    I hope this helps with the term NON -WORKING. These are the people that we should have more say in what they can and can not do. If I pay for them I should say how my money is spent. If you have never seen the above you need to go to your local walmart around the 1st and 15th of the month. You will get an eye opener.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't think we should give the right to make decisions to people with NON functioning brain cells. It's my tax money and I should have a say in who gets to have a say in social issues.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The military is the biggest social welfare project in the US and I think it does a good job providing many people income and something to do, as well as instill discipline in younger adults.

That said, most young enlisted guy spend their money on booze. And I still don't have any issues with that. So, they could spend it on sweetened drinks for all I care.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

English is tough for you, so I will break it down for ya.
    1) Have never went to work
    2) Have no intention to go to work
    3) Family is generational on welfare
    4) Teach their kids to scam the system
    I hope this helps with the term NON -WORKING. These are the people that we should have more say in what they can and can not do. If I pay for them I should say how my money is spent. If you have never seen the above you need to go to your local walmart around the 1st and 15th of the month. You will get an eye opener.

Hold up - so you're only against people who have never worked drinking soda from food stamps? You're okay with a person who works 3 jobs but can't afford their groceries to buy a pop?

But even if that answer is true, you would be surprised to know that the majority of people on welfare don't fall into that category. And if we make rules for welfare that only are directed at the minority, but effect the majority . . . well, that doesn't make any sense.

English is not tough for me.
    Common sense is impossible for you.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

49264-Nope-gif-qo2U.gif
This discussion has been closed.