Should food stamps be used for sweetened drinks?

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If on welfare Absolutley not. All thier food should not be proceed either. Food stamps were created to help people not enable them to be lazy. If they want to buy junk then go get a job. I shouldnt have to pay for you to eat horrible and stay home become fat and then have that be the next reason I have to pay more taxes.

Go tell one of the 900,000 military veterans on food stamps what they can and cannot buy.

Re-Read my statement. I SAID ON WELFARE NOT MILITARY

Do you not realize many of our veterans are on welfare?
    Let me rephrase NON Working welfare

What does that even mean?

1. There are many people on welfare who work, but can't make enough to live.

2. There are many veterans on welfare who don't work, for whatever reason.

You can't just make up terms that don't exist and expect to have a discussion.
    English is tough for you, so I will break it down for ya.
    1) Have never went to work
    2) Have no intention to go to work
    3) Family is generational on welfare
    4) Teach their kids to scam the system
    I hope this helps with the term NON -WORKING. These are the people that we should have more say in what they can and can not do. If I pay for them I should say how my money is spent. If you have never seen the above you need to go to your local walmart around the 1st and 15th of the month. You will get an eye opener.

Hold up - so you're only against people who have never worked drinking soda from food stamps? You're okay with a person who works 3 jobs but can't afford their groceries to buy a pop?

But even if that answer is true, you would be surprised to know that the majority of people on welfare don't fall into that category. And if we make rules for welfare that only are directed at the minority, but effect the majority . . . well, that doesn't make any sense.

English is not tough for me.
    Common sense is impossible for you.
    Yes I do think a working person deserves to enjoy something every once in a while and someone that lives off the system does not. That is what the sytem was set up for . Go back and read the NEW DEAL on domestic programs. It is to help people get back on their feet not live on the sytem. To give people a sense of pride not lean on the goverment to do everything for them.
    Oh man I don't think I have seen anybody on MFP make so many ignorant assumptions and blanket statements since there was a thread by an individual proclaiming people with depression shouldn't be entitled to disability benefits because the illness was not evident to the naked eye.

Must be nice on that high horse looking down your nose at people you obviously have little to no interaction with. *smh*
    Go back and read it before you speak. Again English is tough I see. Welfare was established in the New Deal. IAgain you have no idea about me so dont speak. You have no idea about me or back round but I can tell you this. Where I came from everthing I speak of is true seen it first hand. Welfare and food stamps in this county need to go back to its original intent, not the joke it is now. Rosevelt is rolling over in his grave because of uneducated or blind people like you.

So everyone who doesn't agree with you is uneducated or blind?.

Yes, that adds credibility to your argument....

BTW, English is indeed tough- "seen it first hand " :laugh:

:laugh:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Flipping 'ell Joanne this was possible your best troll thread yet
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If on welfare Absolutley not. All thier food should not be proceed either. Food stamps were created to help people not enable them to be lazy. If they want to buy junk then go get a job. I shouldnt have to pay for you to eat horrible and stay home become fat and then have that be the next reason I have to pay more taxes.

Go tell one of the 900,000 military veterans on food stamps what they can and cannot buy.

Re-Read my statement. I SAID ON WELFARE NOT MILITARY

Do you not realize many of our veterans are on welfare?
    Let me rephrase NON Working welfare

What does that even mean?

1. There are many people on welfare who work, but can't make enough to live.

2. There are many veterans on welfare who don't work, for whatever reason.

You can't just make up terms that don't exist and expect to have a discussion.
    English is tough for you, so I will break it down for ya.
    1) Have never went to work
    2) Have no intention to go to work
    3) Family is generational on welfare
    4) Teach their kids to scam the system
    I hope this helps with the term NON -WORKING. These are the people that we should have more say in what they can and can not do. If I pay for them I should say how my money is spent. If you have never seen the above you need to go to your local walmart around the 1st and 15th of the month. You will get an eye opener.

Hold up - so you're only against people who have never worked drinking soda from food stamps? You're okay with a person who works 3 jobs but can't afford their groceries to buy a pop?

But even if that answer is true, you would be surprised to know that the majority of people on welfare don't fall into that category. And if we make rules for welfare that only are directed at the minority, but effect the majority . . . well, that doesn't make any sense.

English is not tough for me.
    Common sense is impossible for you.
    Yes I do think a working person deserves to enjoy something every once in a while and someone that lives off the system does not. That is what the sytem was set up for . Go back and read the NEW DEAL on domestic programs. It is to help people get back on their feet not live on the sytem. To give people a sense of pride not lean on the goverment to do everything for them.
    Oh man I don't think I have seen anybody on MFP make so many ignorant assumptions and blanket statements since there was a thread by an individual proclaiming people with depression shouldn't be entitled to disability benefits because the illness was not evident to the naked eye.

Must be nice on that high horse looking down your nose at people you obviously have little to no interaction with. *smh*
    Go back and read it before you speak. Again English is tough I see. Welfare was established in the New Deal. IAgain you have no idea about me so dont speak. You have no idea about me or back round but I can tell you this. Where I came from everthing I speak of is true seen it first hand. Welfare and food stamps in this county need to go back to its original intent, not the joke it is now. Rosevelt is rolling over in his grave because of uneducated or blind people like you.
    Actually my English is fine, maybe you should spell-check your own responses.

“Food Stamps Plan,” was implemented in 1939 but last time I checked it was 2014 correct me if I am wrong...times have changes and so have circumstances.

The ideas I have developed about you are based upon your responses and they speak volumes about your arrogance and ignorance...You have to believe me I have seen it first hand!

I am neither blind nor uneducated but nice try.

I guess you just have problems paying taxes towards people less fortunate than yourself but you probably happily pay taxes for unnecessary political campaigns, pay rises or cocaine the member of government you support snorts off the backsides of Moroccan teenage boys your hard earned taxes paid for...OK that last one was maybe out of line (maybe, who knows)

I think your diet must consist of the spoon-fed crap Fox news and the government feeds you.

As it was mentioned you want to punish the majority because of a minority and yet you don't see the inequity of that logic.

I highly doubt you have seen more than a very small percentage of the population under the poverty line and if you claim that you have what do you do? campaign around the country in shelters or soup kitchens? I highly doubt it!

Your outlook is myopic at best.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Juice - NOT soda. At least there's some redemption in juice plus some diabetics REALLY need their damn juice at times when they can't chew. If soda is an "optional" or "entertainment" item in my house meaning its not a necessity why should I pay for others' to have it. That's just as insane as asking someone else to pay for me to go to the movies or my race entry fee- it's totally OPTIONAL!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As an aside, only about 12% of the federal spending goes to safety net programs.

And if you're worried about poor people spending that $1 on a bottle of soda, take note that each JASSM missile costs $1.327 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASSM
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It does sometimes make me sad when I see people with children with their carts full of cheese puffs and soda, and they whip out an EBT card to pay for it. It makes me sad when anybody does that, even with their own money! But the solution would not be telling people what to eat and feed their children. What is more important is educating people about health, nutrition, and getting more bang for the buck at the grocery store. Soda isn't evil, but people can learn to balance their diet with healthy food and the occasional junk they want. It would be cool if the food stamps program operated somewhat like WIC and had predetermined nutritious foods they can buy but also with room to make some of their own choices.

What would be even better would be fixing the problems putting people into welfare in the first place. :(

You really can't judge a darn thing from seeing someone's grocery cart the one day you happen to both be in the store. You won't see a ton of fresh fruits and veggies in my cart, because I get a big ol' box of them delivered from my farmshare. The grocery store is where I go for everything else. Sometimes I run to the store solely to get snacks for a party.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    As an aside, only about 12% of the federal spending goes to safety net programs.

And if you're worried about poor people spending that $1 on a bottle of soda, take note that each JASSM missile costs $1.327 million.

Just because my health insurance (and copays) are 30% of my monthly budget does that mean that I shouldn't worry about spending $2.00 per protein bar????
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Juice - NOT soda. At least there's some redemption in juice plus some diabetics REALLY need their damn juice at times when they can't chew. If soda is an "optional" or "entertainment" item in my house meaning its not a necessity why should I pay for others' to have it. That's just as insane as asking someone else to pay for me to go to the movies or my race entry fee- it's totally OPTIONAL!

All individual food items are optional - meaning no individual item is a necessity.

Not seeing your point.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen the author of this thread uses such things as a way to mass spam people about her rather unscientific and poorly researched relihion... cult.... err, group on MFP.

Wherein she still faile to back up her wild claims.
    Juice - NOT soda. At least there's some redemption in juice
    Because the high fructose content makes it a poorer choice to consume for recovery after exertion and more likely to be stored as fat than 'soda'?
  • Yagisama
    Options

Just because my health insurance (and copays) are 30% of my monthly budget does that mean that I shouldn't worry about spending $2.00 per protein bar????

You should worry about whatever you like to worry about.

And health insurance being 30% of your monthly budget? I would say that my point of view is that we should be more concerned with bringing health insurance costs down rather than worry that someone uses their food stamps to buy soda.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

All individual food items are optional - meaning no individual item is a necessity.

Not seeing your point.

Point : No food = death

No soda = unneeded.

At least to me soda isn't "food" its just as unnecessary as beer or cigarettes or gum. It's a luxury. Why are the middle class forced to be taxed to death to pay for luxury's for the poor making it hard to afford the luxuries they would purchase for themselves?
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    From what I've seen the author of this thread uses such things as a way to mass spam people about her rather unscientific and poorly researched relihion... cult.... err, group on MFP.

Wherein she still faile to back up her wild claims.
    Juice - NOT soda. At least there's some redemption in juice
    Because the high fructose content makes it a poorer choice to consume for recovery after exertion and more likely to be stored as fat than 'soda'?

I'm not sure if this is meant for me but yes at least orange juice has calcium and vitamin D....and brings up blood sugars for poor type 1 kids who may not feel up to chewing down an apple.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

And health insurance being 30% of your monthly budget? I would say that my point of view is that we should be more concerned with bringing health insurance costs down rather than worry that someone uses their food stamps to buy soda.

When I review my monthly budget I look at what is necessary and discretionary and how to spend discretionary money. If I was spending other peoples money (ie from the government) I would only buy what is necessary. I don't "just" look at how to bring one expense down - I look at the whole picture. As a wife I can manage that - why can't our government manage to handle both food stamps AND health insurance costs? And if they can't - perhaps they should not be the ones governing....
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    TVUhOee.gif

7mPCQlL.gif

YPlLO5Q.png
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Foodstamps should be spent on whatever is cheapest. The end.
  • Yagisama
    Options

When I review my monthly budget I look at what is necessary and discretionary and how to spend discretionary money. If I was spending other peoples money (ie from the government) I would only buy what is necessary. I don't "just" look at how to bring one expense down - I look at the whole picture. As a wife I can manage that - why can't our government manage to handle both food stamps AND health insurance costs? And if they can't - perhaps they should not be the ones governing....

Because the government has control of fiat currency and government spending is completely different than household spending.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

Because the government has control of fiat currency and government spending is completely different than household spending.

Is this some excuse for why the government can't competently worry about both of these problems?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread

giphy-gif.5946
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's any of my business what people use food stamps for.

Also, I always find it interesting that the same people who argue for less government involvement in people's lives, want to legislate what individuals can and can't use their food stamps for. Crazy.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    When you borrow money from whomever because you're in a rough spot, do you spend that money frivolously or responsibly? Soda is not "needed", so why if you can't afford it on your own would you get it?
This discussion has been closed.