Yoga seen as "Un-Manly"

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga has my full endorsement. That is all.
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    I have tried yoga once. It sucked balls! I disagree that it is un manly. Because by sucking balls I mean it kicked my *kitten*! It was as bad as almost any crossfit workout I have done or anyother workout for that matter. Maybe I was doing it wrong or something I don't know but it was a totally different kind of workout from anything I have done and it was very challenging.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and thinking on from my previous post....
    If you claim even activities done mostly by women are 'manly' or not 'un-manly', then you basically disqualify the whole concept and shouldn't worry about it anyway!
    No point even considering it if there's nothing outside the group.
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My husband loves doing yoga....actually that is the only form of exercise he will do. And he is quite the manly man too and covered in tattoos as well. So no he doesn't look like your "typical" yoga person, but he loves it!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes women don't lift weights because they think it is "man" exercise, so I can see why some people might think that about yoga. I can also see why people might just also have general misconceptions about yoga. But, there is no need to make yoga more manly. I know just as many men that teach yoga (maybe more) as women. And none of them fit any particular stereotype of yogi or masculinity and wouldn't care, though they are very strong and flexible and have tons of ladies swooning over them. Lots of men are dancers as well. Nothing unmanly about being a male dancer. And not all men like and dislike the same things. I think the amount of men doing yoga varies more as a regional thing. In some places more men do yoga (more people do yoga) than other places.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

As someone who was introduced to yoga as soon as i could crawl, my opinion may be slightly bias. Where do you even begin to describe all the benefits, especially within the scientific community! I love that you are not what society would label as a stereotypical yogi! I trust you will be able to spread the word beyond where it is now, and reach people that would benefit so much from including yoga in their life and wouldn't have adopted it otherwise. I also feel so passionately against how our culture feels the need to push the view on boys from such a young age to "man up", but that's a completely different debate. Regardless, as you said yoga is about health and not gender. Best wishes in your practice :heart:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It's subjective. Like any exercise, I believe people will do what they are pretty good at. Most men are better at lifting weights and doing endurance sport training then they are at Zumba, step aerobics, or even yoga.
    So the less men that attend a class or workout and while the attendance for women is overwhelming, I can see how it's viewed as not manly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Edit: don't want to off-topic derail the thread.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

As someone who was introduced to yoga as soon as i could crawl, my opinion may be slightly bias. Where do you even begin to describe all the benefits, especially within the scientific community! I love that you are not what society would label as a stereotypical yogi! I trust you will be able to spread the word beyond where it is now, and reach people that would benefit so much from including yoga in their life and wouldn't have adopted it otherwise. I also feel so passionately against how our culture feels the need to push the view on boys from such a young age to "man up", but that's a completely different debate. Regardless, as you said yoga is about health and not gender. Best wishes in your practice :heart:

Yeah, there are so many different types of yoga teachers and different classes they teach. The men that I know that teach yoga have extremely different approaches to yoga. Some have a more metaphysical kind of approach, and some are atheists and scientists. Some do a more gentle type of yoga and others are contortionists.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Where do you even begin to describe all the benefits, especially within the scientific community!
    Could you start just after 'flexibility', please?
    That certainly makes sense, but I have been sceptical about a lot of other claimed benefits, at least compared to other options (most definitely from stuff like the 'DPP Yoga', but lets ignore that for the moment.)
  • thesupremeforce
    Options
    Where do you even begin to describe all the benefits, especially within the scientific community!
    Could you start just after 'flexibility', please?
    That certainly makes sense, but I have been sceptical about a lot of other claimed benefits, at least compared to other options (most definitely from stuff like the 'DPP Yoga', but lets ignore that for the moment.)

What's so difficult to buy here? Aside from flexibility, yoga improves balance, can help with strength (depending on starting levels), definitely can enhance core strength. Improved posture? "All" DDP Yoga really does is combine yoga poses with calisthenics (mostly push-ups, lunges, squats, calf-raises, etc), and a lot of "dynamic resistance" which is just performing actions while trying to provide your own resistance. I don't imagine that any form of exercise offers anything that can't be found in some other forms of exercise. If that was the case, wouldn't (pretty much) everyone default to said exercise over time?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    For all the people who are on the boards complaining about "Mean" People.... they should read this post. This is a great constructive post. I would not be suprised if there is some guy out there "lurking" (in a good way of course) reading all the posts and then actually gets the guts to go to a yoga class or pop in a yoga DVD.

Hell.. I am going to start doing that this month!

I really feel that Yoga is one of the complete parts of a real fitness routine.

Right F%#@in' On! :drinker:
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does yoga and loves it! The different poses and stretches have been so good for his legs, he has been through some surgeries. It bothers me that it's seen as very 'feminine', just like how weight lifting is seen as masculine. It's all up to what you like, stereotypes be damned!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It may be thought that males are generally more naturally gifted towards strength development and females to being more flexible. I know testosterone or the lack of it has a part to play, but I also wonder if it is largely to do with the way children are often steered into types of activity that develop those traits - boys to weight training in their own right or weights to build strength for a rough sport for example, whereas girls are often steered toward gymnastics, dance, yoga etc.

So are the genders gifted toward strength or suppleness because of gender or conditioning?

I know a yoga teacher who said they would rather have a non-supple but strong beginner then a naturally flexible but weaker individual because suppleness can be gradually gained as the person learns to relax and give way, whereas a hyper-flexible person often finds it difficult to build strength.

I wonder what effect it would have if gender and conditioning were taken out of physical training?
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm really thinking about trying yoga for a few weeks, yoga would help my mobility which would help me alot in powerlifting!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Comparing to other options, because they tend to be better - for strength a barbell/pull up bar/simialr training is likely to be much more effective, for example.
    The things I've read suggest that balance tends to be quite function-dependant, so learning good yoga balance will help me balance in yoga poses, but probably won't help so much riding a unicycle of rock climbing and visa versa.

And my issue with DPP is the claims made about how amazing it is including for weight loss - appreciated it's typical 'marketing'. I'm incredibly sceptical about his 'dynamic resistance' - if it was that useful, I'd suggest that "everyone would be doing it" - as it goes, I can remember thinking about this about 20 years ago, when I was 14, in the shower and thinking "well, why can't you just push against yourself". But that transitions to, "why can't you push against a wall".

I've now just spent some time googling and reading up on yoga, stretching and the like.

The best stuff I've come up with is from the following and based on stretching generally..
    http://saveyourself.ca/articles/stretching.php
    From that, think I'll leave making an effort to do yoga for climbing and just try and make myself do some basic climbing-related stretches regularly.
    I wonder what effect it would have if gender and conditioning were taken out of physical training?
    Testosterone plays a massive part in gaining muscle and thus strength.

If you take something like rock climbing, you'll often find women using their flexibility more - however I generally get the impression this is to 'make up' for a lack of overall grip/weight ratio as well as strength/weight ratio* (despite being lighter)and in some cases reach,
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yoga and meditation (vipassana insight meditation) has measured benefits to the brain through relaxation and for how it gives the mind a focused break. Neuroscientists have studied it. There are also ways that certain movement patterns can improve injury, mobility, and range of motion by teaching the body to relax some muscles and use other muscles in a more efficient way. All of that and the flexibility are due to neurological reasons and not just physical training.
  • thesupremeforce
    Options
    Being able to balance on one leg (or whatever) is a practical skill, but yeah, a lot of yoga poses aren't very practical for everyday life. Still, a lot of them are good for building flexibility, which is useful to everyone. Being able to touch your toes or even do a back bridge can be useful skills. Handstands are kind of fun, but admittedly not very practical.

You could just push against a wall. In fact, that's how many people begin doing push ups, so I don't see your argument there. Dynamic resistance does function to elevate the heart rate (give it a try), but again, it's not going to do much to build strength. If nothing else, if you engage properly, you'll "feel" it.

DDP Yoga is great for weight loss in the same way that many forms of exercise are good for weight loss. You burn calories. I never bought into the program's dietary suggestions, as they struck me as unnecessary (giving up dairy and wheat sort of things). Sure, I lost weight, but that falls into the category of "Eat Less; Move More."

DDP Yoga's been great for me, because I have far less ankle pain than I did prior to starting the program. I also no longer have back pain. I totally buy into the "it's amazing" camp, but I admit that the "too good to be true" way it's marketed makes people skeptical. I was the same way at first.

It's great for people recovering/suffering from injuries. I'd recommend it to people as a nice rounded yoga/calisthenics/low impact cardio program, as it hits all of those things in one workout.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Handstands are extremely practical if you value a healthy heart and circulation.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I expect I'd get the same relaxation benefits from sitting down after a long day and watching a film - probably more, because I didn't find Yoga amazingly relaxing.

Balancing on one leg is one of the things that does have some transference to climbing - pistol squats and so on, as there are cases where you haven't really got anywhere to put your hands usefully, but have one good foot placement which you can only get onto by reaching up with that leg, then rocking your weight on to it - in other activities, sporting or not, it's not something I've found I need!

Similarly, while I can touch my toes, I can't think of a time I've had to do that as opposed to just bending down more.

From reading the link I posted above (which has lots of citations and so on), I'm now even less convinced of the usefulness of flexibility in non-sport-specific cases.

As far as DPP for weight loss - from what I can see it's mostly good for allowing you to eat a bit more.
    Which is one of the reasons I do cardio when cutting, sure - but this DPP doesn't seem to offer a great calorie burn.
    Best thing about it seems to be that it may get people moving who might not for other reasons - but it does seem quite an expensive placebo in that manner.

Pushing against your hand or a wall is NOT the same as a push up - where you're physically moving a weight (your body) through space.
    Of course, it might all be a conspiracy by the gym equipment manufacturers and all we really need is an adjustable back blate close to a wall so we can strain against a solid object with each limb ;) - somehow I don't think this is the case.
    Handstands are extremely practical if you value a healthy heart and circulation.
    Even better, I'd be willing to bet, is going for a run, a cycle ride or similar ;). Even more so if you're doing intervals.