Yoga seen as "Un-Manly"

Options

Replies

• LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously considering yoga along with the power lifting I already do. I am not in the least concerned of losing my man card if I do go for it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of men that do yoga and teach yoga, including my twin brother.
  • Dan_Hung
    Dan_Hung Posts: 1
    Options
    Tried a couple free sessions I won and gotta say it's not easy. Would rather wrestle a bear than try it again.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What a lot of people don't know is that Yoga was actually the predecessor of Martial Arts. And a great deal of Martial Art exercises were developed from Yoga techniques.

Um, if you can teach this, Im onboard

yogaflame.jpg
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    To OP: Word.
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options

And you don't HAVE to wear Yoga pants if you don't want to...

???? Yoga in the nude? LOL JOKING!!!!
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Before I take any fitness advice from you of any kind...

...I need to know if you're in better shape than I am.

What's your best 5k time?
    What's your deadlift 1RM?
    Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?
    Any relevant fitness-related medical problems I should know about?

I can run a 5k- i had back surgery and can't run without severe pain
    Dead lifts are out for the same reason
    My total cholesterol is around 240
    My BP is 120/70 on the average
    I have chronic back pain 24/7- how's that for a medial problem?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape. I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    my yoga teacher is a male jujitsu fighter. When i would go tot he later clases i would see foot ball players from my home town in ter, wrestlers and boxers. My husband still thinks its girly, lol He wont go and he looks nothing like thses men. One day he will get it.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

And you don't HAVE to wear Yoga pants if you don't want to...

???? Yoga in the nude? LOL JOKING!!!!

Nude yoga is actually a thing. I kid you not. :noway:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Before I take any fitness advice from you of any kind...

...I need to know if you're in better shape than I am.

What's your best 5k time?
    What's your deadlift 1RM?
    Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?
    Any relevant fitness-related medical problems I should know about?

I can run a 5k- i had back surgery and can't run without severe pain
    Dead lifts are out for the same reason
    My total cholesterol is around 240
    My BP is 120/70 on the average
    I have chronic back pain 24/7- how's that for a medial problem?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape. I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.
    It doesn't surprise me one bit that there was only a list of physical features up there...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Haven't read this thread yet but I think guys that do yoga are UBER sexy. Wish I could do a class with the guy I did it with back home again. The second I walked out I could feel every single muscle was used. Bet they are good at Tantric sex too. Bonus.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga this year, to try and stretch out my glutes and hamstrings. It's difficult, I enjoy it and who cares if it's manly?

I'm resuming training soon after being in hospital with a herniated disc. Yoga and pilates are all I can do until I'm given the green light to resume lifting.

And I look teh secks in yoga pants.....
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    my yoga teacher is a male jujitsu fighter. When i would go tot he later clases i would see foot ball players from my home town in ter, wrestlers and boxers. My husband still thinks its girly, lol He wont go and he looks nothing like thses men. One day he will get it.

So in!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "Yoga seen as "Un-Manly"" ... so what? ;)
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yoga is one of THE best exercise routines for flexibility and core strength. Guess what...what is needed for anything where you lift or do cardio? Core strength. Funny that...

I wouldn't be scared to go to a Yoga class. I just may look look ridiculous for the first few sessions :laugh:
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My husband is an infantry soldier in the Australian army. He uses pilates to basically dominate all of the PT pack marches (often with something like 40kilos of weight in his pack). We both started up pilates as runners for physical therapy for various running errors.I think it's probably irrelevant what is supposed to be "manly' vs "un- manly".
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like a male gymnast or ballet dancer - who cares what the guys think- you guys are hot!!
    Jealousy is a curse....
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Excercise doesn't have a "sex"

THANK you! I'm so sick of hearing about "girl push-ups"...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like a male gymnast or ballet dancer - who cares what the guys think- you guys are hot!!
    Jealousy is a curse....

Yep. I don't do yoga. But I do practice gymnastics. Many moves do cross over, though. For instance, when I fail to do a planche, it's like an upside down corpse pose. ;)
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I find the idea that any form of exercise is considered manly or un-manly, quite childly.