Working out in High Heels!

Options

Replies

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My mom always wore heels. Now she always has to wear them. Her tendons shortened and now it hurts her to walk flat.

wow, that sucks. i'm sorry to hear that. Are there any stretches or anything else that she can do to try to reverse the damage?

She hasn't found any yet.

A relative of mine has the same problem and is now doing physiotherapy. I don't know what exercises/stretches exactly they showed her but it definitely helps. Good luck to your mum!

And on topic: OUCH! Especially stilettos and/or with weights, that's a horrible idea. Sturdy heels and no weights - well, maybe not so much danger but lifting weights would probably do more for your butt. And if you're not flexible enough for squats, stand on barbell plates if you have to and work on your flexibility.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pink-Air-Max-95-High-Heels-Nikes-For-Women.jpg

They are Nike, so they have to be safe, right? Finally found what these are made for. Do you also need pink barbells to match?
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love my stilettos. I wear them when I go out and when I am at work. But for the gym, I use appropriate footwear. That means running shoes to run, UA lifting shoes to lift...see where I'm going with this?

If you walk in stilettos all day at work, you will help tone your legs and glutes...no need for the shenanigans.

Arnold, Phil, B-Pak...I'm sure none of them have worked out in stilettos and they have all demonstrated AMAZING glutes and calves and abs and .... and....
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    how-about-no.gif

I can't even stand in high heels, much less walk or workout in them. I do not like them at all. I value mah feets.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have great balance in heels and could probably run in heels if i had to....that being said I don't think this is safe. It seems the POSSIBLE benefits are outweighed by the certain safety risks here.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea........... :laugh:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Seeing as people wear very flat shoes like Converse or even no shoes to do deadlifts, I would say the answer to this would be a big fat no.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna break something.
  • Jessica_Eve
    Jessica_Eve Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke thread..

I find that something with a very flat bottom is the most helpful for squats and deadlifts. This might be personal opinion though.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    nope_doctor_who.gif
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    nope_doctor_who.gif

Some appropriate footwear for the win!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Just incase you cant see her toning the crapspackle out of her ankle, here it is in all its freeze frame glory.

SDOmxJt.png

I'm 100% sure, she never did that again, and possibly, never walked right after that.

game over.

Side Bar question: How do you think she got the big bandage on her arm?

maybe trying to pole vault with a chainsaw?

It hurt me to watch this. :sad:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    1399760342778.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I thought this was a joke thread..

I find that something with a very flat bottom is the most helpful for squats and deadlifts. This might be personal opinion though.

I thought so too...and yeah, I can't imagine trying to deadlift in heels, squat or anything at the gym...

749963.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    nope_doctor_who.gif

Some appropriate footwear for the win!

That's what I lift in and love it! Bright purple!
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    LOL- what does it say on the wall behind her- Oy Ve the feeling?

hahaha

that made me cringe
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    While reading this, the song "Red High Heels" was going through my head. This seriously sounds like a great way to hurt yourself. Not only that, but you will quickly destroy your heels. They aren't made for that kind of activity.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    "Pole vaulting with a chainsaw" has me laughing so hard that it warranted my response before reading all replies.

@OP: Um, no. I like my ankles. But if that's your perogative, more power to you. I just hope you don't become a recipient of a Darwin Award.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Pink-Air-Max-95-High-Heels-Nikes-For-Women.jpg

They are Nike, so they have to be safe, right? Finally found what these are made for. Do you also need pink barbells to match?

Well just 2 lb barbells because I don't want to get too big :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.katysays.com/high-heels-pelvic-floor-and-bad-science/

A biomechanist breaks down the study and the problems with it.
    1. The greatest resting activity in the PF is, like the Chen study, higher with heels down, not heels up.

2. The maximal contraction (squeezing it hard) comes from 5° of plantar flexion (less than 1/2” of heel) not those ankle positions simulating 2 or 3″ heels.

The conclusion of the study: Ten degrees of dorsiflexion (opposite of heels, remember?) might be just as effective as the 15° reported by Chen, but more comfortable. Low heels – not high heels.
    If you want to poke around in the rest of her blog, you will see VERY good reasons to avoid any heel at all most of the time.

For example:
    http://www.katysays.com/raise-your-foot/