What do you do when racks aren't available?

Options
124»

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

If you can't clean your OHP, you're doing it wrong.

Everyone misses the point. I DONT WANT TO CLEAN. I AM DOING OHP, NOT CLEANS.

No one is missing the point.

You are.

So, what help do you have to offer if a cage isn't available, and it's a squat day?

Since you haven't added anything valuable other than argue, I'm waiting for something useful. I asked because I genuinely want to know what people do. So, I've mentioned leg press, lunges, hack squats, and possibly hip thrusters. Any other recommendations?

As far as OHP, I'm doing strict OHP, not cleans. I can do sitting military press with a bar or DB's. I can also do it with lighter weight and clean from the floor.

Anything else you can add, or do you just prefer semantic arguments online?

All due respect and whatnot, we aren't the ones missing out on entire workouts because we can't have the exact piece of equipment that we want the moment we want it. I am fine with you saying you don't want to clean it from the floor, but it IS a viable suggestion to pick the thing up off the floor, do your full set of STRICT ohps, and then put it back on the floor. Is the combined move before and after your reps cleaning it? Yes. That doesn't change the reps of OHPs that you're doing into clean n' presses though.

Again, if you don't WANT to take that suggestion, then fine. However, stomping your foot and telling everyone who picks the damn bar up off the ground that it isn't really an OHP if you don't take up the squat rack to do it is a bit of an overreaction. I have to question if your unfriendly gym is really the issue just based on your reaction here.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

You are.

So, what help do you have to offer if a cage isn't available, and it's a squat day?

Since you haven't added anything valuable other than argue, I'm waiting for something useful. I asked because I genuinely want to know what people do. So, I've mentioned leg press, lunges, hack squats, and possibly hip thrusters. Any other recommendations?

As far as OHP, I'm doing strict OHP, not cleans. I can do sitting military press with a bar or DB's. I can also do it with lighter weight and clean from the floor.

I'm truly sorry that life is so hard for you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

You are.

All due respect and whatnot, we aren't the ones missing out on entire workouts because we can't have the exact piece of equipment that we want the moment we want it. I am fine with you saying you don't want to clean it from the floor, but it IS a viable suggestion to pick the thing up off the floor, do your full set of STRICT ohps, and then put it back on the floor. Is the combined move before and after your reps cleaning it? Yes. That doesn't change the reps of OHPs that you're doing into clean n' presses though.

Again, if you don't WANT to take that suggestion, then fine. However, stomping your foot and telling everyone who picks the damn bar up off the ground that it isn't really an OHP if you don't take up the squat rack to do it is a bit of an overreaction. I have to question if your unfriendly gym is really the issue just based on your reaction here.

If one is constantly surrounded by jerks then it's usually a good indication to look in the mirror
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've started going to the gym at 5am (when it opens - not a 24-hour place unfortunately) on leg day just so I can get a squat rack with NOBODY in my way!
    When I go back (limited as to the duration of my workouts due to work schedule, so short lifting session before work + short lifting session over my lunch break - gotta do what ya gotta do, right?), I'll do stuff like weighted walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, box jumps, goblet squats, etc.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I've started going to the gym at 5am (when it opens - not a 24-hour place unfortunately) on leg day just so I can get a squat rack with NOBODY in my way!
    When I go back (limited as to the duration of my workouts due to work schedule, so short lifting session before work + short lifting session over my lunch break - gotta do what ya gotta do, right?), I'll do stuff like weighted walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, box jumps, goblet squats, etc.

Thanks, I do that too. I'm there by 5am. But, it's a 24 hour place, so people get there earlier. Meh, it's not a huge problem. What I was hoping for is alternative exercise suggestions, not an argument about how I should be doing power cleans.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments and the help. As for the others,. enjoy arguing on the internet. I'm outta here.

You may want to learn to clean the weight. It's a good alternative to the rack
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Thanks, I do that too. I'm there by 5am. But, it's a 24 hour place, so people get there earlier. Meh, it's not a huge problem. What I was hoping for is alternative exercise suggestions, not an argument about how I should be doing power cleans.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments and the help. As for the others,. enjoy arguing on the internet. I'm outta here.

You may want to learn to clean the weight. It's a good alternative to the rack

:laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

You are.

I'm truly sorry that life is so hard for you.

Life is easy. Maybe you're looking in the mirror.

Hold on. *takes selfie* Yep. Life is good. :tongue:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Actually, I think everyone gets it. No one is saying to do a complete set of clean and press. But, if the rack is occupied and the option you are using now is to do cardio and go home, then cleaning it off the floor is a viable option for starting your OHP set. No need to get upset about it.

^^This exactly^^

If you're doing strict OHP's, the effort required to clean the weight to your shoulders (once per set) should be trivial. If it isn't, you're doing it wrong.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just gonna jump on board here. On OHP, I fail to understand why it is such an issue to pull from the floor (clean) to get the bar into position, and then do your set??? I don't see anywhere where anyone suggested you do a set of cleans as opposed to OHP. Clean bar to position, then do your OHP reps, drop bar down, set in on the floor. Simple, and no need for a rack. I agree with others, if you can't clean the bar into OHP starting position, maybe you should start incorporating cleans into your workout.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is my second favorite thread of the day, after Farty Pants Jeff, of course!!!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly19.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    OP: I used to do OHP from racks. Switched recently to cleaning from the floor and for some reason it actually helped despite obviously using more energy. Give it a crack :smile:

For the original Q:

1. at my home gym, I give em the boot :tongue:
    2. at powerlifting gym, it is near impossible to not have somewhere to squat
    3. at commercial gym: I normally just wait as most people don't do more than 3 sets anyway which doesn't take very long.

Felt sorry for some peeps when I was running sheiko and squatting at commercial gym :tongue: But I'll let anyone work in if they want and are simiarlsh weights/height to me.