To anybody thinking buying an activity tracker

Options
1235»

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I want one so badly, but cannot afford the cost. Glad someone said to avoid Ebay, because that was where I was planning on getting mine, but now, I am not going to do that.

I bought a Life Trak from Amazon. Cheaper then a fit bit and actually does more. It's a watch, heart rate moniter, calories burned, steps taken, and it even monitors sleep patterns. It is a great motivator for a little less money. Battery good for one full year (no recharging) and is water proof.
    FitBit One also monitors sleep patterns, but you either have to put it in/out of sleep mode, or manually put in the hours you slept so it knows and of course it has to be on you. As far as the HRM, if it doesn't have a chest strap, I don't put a lot of stock in it, can you get a chest strap with it? If the watch is not ugly I might consider it, I do wear a watch every day, but if I am going to go that route I could also just get a nicer Polar watch with chest strap. I keep going back to the Loop, going to have to do some research. The only thing that gives me pause is that post about better things coming out. I would hate to buy one and have something better come out the next month...I really have to do more research.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop, love it :-) wearable trackers FTW!
    Finally somebody with a Polar Loop, that is what I am thinking about buying, I kind of regret my FitBit One purchase. I have questions if you don't mind...where do you wear it, how accurate do you think it is, etc.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Love my Jawbone UP!
    I am not at all interested in something I have to wear around my wrist, that is why I am considering a Polar Loop, looks like you can wear it on upper arm or other places. I got the FitBit one because I just stick it in my bra and forget about it, which to me is a real plus. Once in a while I wear it in my pocket (if I have to).
    The Polar Loop is a bracelet.

Considering it costs as much as any tracker plus HRM and all it saves you is the moment of manually logging your HRM calories for an HRM workout (which also doesn't track resistance well), I'm not sure I'd find a whole lot of reason to spring for it, given the initial reviews. Though maybe they've improved. The trackers are often very glitchy when new to market.
  • flavia1432
    flavia1432 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm curious about the possibilities of this Apple watch though...

Me too, but until the second gen comes out...anybody have experience with Misfit Shine? Other than the original band issues that it looks like they're addressing, Misfit seems pretty spot on for my needs and it's darn near gorgeous. ;)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love the Shine and would have bought one by now but it's only IOS compatible, no web app, no other phones, and the synching method concerns me. If I have it clipped to my bra, do I want to have to press my phone up to it to synch to check my progress? It's bluetooth so I hope they make it synch from a greater distance (or have already).
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i'm already pretty active without one - minimum 18k a day between getting to and from work and going for a run on my breaks....i shudder to think how much more i'd have the potential to obsess over making sure i've "done enough" for the day if i had one of those to stare at too. lol
  • flavia1432
    flavia1432 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love the Shine and would have bought one by now but it's only IOS compatible, no web app, no other phones, and the synching method concerns me. If I have it clipped to my bra, do I want to have to press my phone up to it to synch to check my progress? It's bluetooth so I hope they make it synch from a greater distance (or have already).

I've been following their page on FB. Here's the latest link and they're Android compatible now. Not sure about a web app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.misfitwearables.prometheus&hl=en