The wrong kind of snacking.

Options

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way or secret trick other than plain willpower. Nothing can substitute for the crunch, flavor, and mouth feel of chips. Baked ones don't cut it. Neither do reduced fat ones or anything else you can think of. You just have to learn how to say no or be able to stop after an ounce of so or just get used to being fat for the rest of your life. I know that's harsh, but anybody who tells you you can get the same satisfaction out of an apple or a carrot is really stretching it. There's really nothing quite like a crisp fresh apple or fresh fruit and vegetables, but you have to enjoy them for what they are and not as punishment or as inadequate substitutions.

The hardest thing about this lifestyle change is learning how to stop eating when you've had enough and not when you're full. Lose those extra pounds and stay active and you can eat all the things you want in moderation, but to get there you do have to go through periods feeling hungry and not getting everything you want. You get used to not feeling full all the time and not snacking without putting serious limits on it. When I have chips or whatever, I put what I'm allowing myself to eat in a bowl and that's all I get, Eating out of a large bag without portioning is only setting yourself up for failure. You have to ask yourself why you'd sabotage yourself like that. Over the last year or so, I had well over a hundred nights where I went to sleep still feeing hungry after eating all my calories for the day, but looking back now it was well worth it many times over. I'm at my goal weight range, in the best shape in many years, and literally had to buy all new clothes other than hats and socks and gave all my old clothes away. People ask me what my secret was and when I tell them eating less and moving more they're somehow disappointed that it just comes down to hard work and perseverance. You just have to want it bad enough that getting there in the long term is a higher priority than an extra portion or snack in the short term.
  • pkrey12
    pkrey12 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who completely relates to you. I'm a school nurse and that first hour after I get home is torture. If I don't keep the temptations in the house, it's not as bad, but I have kids and they do like to snack. I find that what I crave (emotionally & physically) are crunchy, salty snacks. The key for me is to try to prepare ahead and experiment with air-popped popcorn with different seasonings, celery with a sprinkle of salt, greek yogurt "onion dip", etc. Also, if I'm in a real bind, I do find that a diet soda with the snack will fill me up. It's probably the carbonation. Other than that, I stick to water with my meals.
    I've also tried to get in the habit of getting right back out for a walk or to the gym before my snacking calories add up to more than my meals.
    Good luck - it's hard but with planning you can do it.
    :smile:
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Are crisps the same thing as potato chips????
  • julia2178
    julia2178 Posts: 5
    Options
    Cup of soup is really high in salt. Try checking out Dr Oz.com for great tips. I drink protein shakes or Meal Replacement shakes and I adf fiber or ground flaxseed....this keeps me full for a while. For snack you could try homemade spinach chips, apple slices with peanut butter
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So I tried a lot of these tips out today (where my calories would allow of course!) and I didn't really feel hungry once. I had a little moment after work but had some dried mango whilst marking books and forced some water down me!
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    woohoo! progress!!!!
  • rausharvey
    rausharvey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying crisps in general. It's just never an option. I snack on PB on toast with a sliced banana with cinnamon on top. Some days i'll put chocolate chips on it (.5 TBS) ORRRRRRRR if i'm really craving something... i'll use nutella instead of pb. it's a lil treat to myself.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    Hey!! Snacking is a troubled situation for many! Absolutely make sure you are drinking tons of water and getting your daily nutrients to stop cravings and the such!! What are some of your favorite snacks currently?
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues sometimes. I will be ravenous on my way home and grab whatever I can find. One option is to keep an energy or protein bar in your purse and snack on that as you are driving home - something that is filling. That keeps me from grabbing the junk food when I get home.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am a School Counselor so I know how it is not to be able to eat smaller meals during the day. I agree with everyone to add a little more protein. My breakfast is usually greek yogurt and a banana or if I have time in the morning I will fix turkey bacon and egg beater. I find that a chicken salad for lunch really keeps me full until the end of the school day as well. I try to keep healthy snacks in the car to hold me over until dinner usually almonds or fruit. Good luck to you!!!
  • DONNAinMN
    DONNAinMN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium and fat overall. Try Baked Lays and pretzels. :)
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to curb snacking is not to buy it in the first place.

Everything in my pantry is on the "ok" snacking list.

I also pack my lunch and prelog my calories of everything I brought so I only eat what I brought.

It saves me money, calories, and prevents mindless snacking.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions. Find substitutes that are either lower cal or not so addictive so you can stop before eating the whole bag.

Use willpower.

And also don't buy the snacks that you go berserk on if you aren't sure you can stop.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Are crisps the same thing as potato chips????

Crisps: UK/Europe
    Chips: 'Murica.

Same thing.

Because "chips" in the UK are fries.

Also, don't get me in to the whole "cookie/biscuit" thing.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My motto: If you can't handle it, you don't need it!!

I can bake desserts all day long, but I'll never taste them. They'll sit on the counter until someone else eats them because I'm not a dessert person, but I love baking.

However, if you put anything salty in front of me, such as Stacy's Pita chips, cheez its, tostitos, chex mix, etc, I will eat the entire bag and not think twice!!! I cannot control myself (nor do I want to) and since I know that I can't control myself with those snacks, I don't buy them nor keep them in the house.

You should try strawberries and peanut butter and I like baby carrots and peanut butter, celery works too!
    Frozen grapes are great too and they taste like candy :)
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I snack on what I want ONLY if I manage to fit it into my calorie allowance for the day, that way I'm not depriving myself of anything. However if you find that you can't just stop at a small portion then it's best to just not have those kinds of food around the house at all (as others have said).

Healthy snacks like fruit or low calorie snacks are always my favourite choice.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    also, can you keep nuts at work? Those are easy to keep in your pocket or your desk drawer to snack on during the day...
    I do that when I'm on site at customer locations, and can't bring protein bars or fruit or whatever... (just don't eat too many!)

I was thinking of taking nuts into work...How much would you recommend? I would hate to eat too many haha, it would be an easy mistake for me to make!

I am guessing that since you work at a school bringing nuts into the school is not the best idea. Maybe keep them in your car for the ride home.

Yes to the eating a bigger breakfast /lunch with more protein. I would also suggest having the food prepared for when you get home. Cook the night before so all you have to do is heat it up, or us a crock pot so its ready and hot when you get home.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I plan for every snack and meal the day before so that I can just grab it and go. I also work full and have very little time to prepare when I get home.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I don't get home from work until 8 or 9 pm ......

Often am too busy at work to be snacking ...... I carry a little insulated bag with me & snack on the way home ...... a LF cheesestick, an apple, those 100-calorie bags of smoked almonds, a bottle of water ..... perfectly good snacks in my world & help me maintain my sanity.

Best of luck to you :drinker:
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Try to find healthier versions of what you like. I buy the baked chips but because portion control can be an issue I buy the ziploc snack bags and portion them out as soon as they are opened