Should I be offended?

Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
So today I went to volunteer at a local food bank. When we got there I had to go to the restroom so I went as the other volunteers were getting set up. When I got into the kitchen, all of the volunteers had been assigned positions and I was given the role of putting stickers on meals to show when they needed to be used/thrown away by. So as I grab the stickers and begin to perform my role, one of the coordinators calls out from across the kitchen that they need me in their area because it is a lot of manual labor and I was the biggest/strongest one there. I felt so embarrassed with them calling me out like that. Why should I be singled out and tasked with the harder/physical jobs just because I am the strongest? I feel like I have discriminated against because of my body. Should I call and complain?

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Well first since its a food bank to help feed starving people and ran by people who give their time for free to help these hungry people down on their luck ummmmm no for the love of god, do not report them! And what's wrong with someone thinking your strong? I get called out at work all the time bc I'm tall and need to reach something. Being strong and tall is freaking awesome!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Are we good enough friends for you to help me move next week?
  • For sure. That's strengthism. You were obviously discriminated against. I'd talk to an attorney.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Did you keep the stickers?
  • Everyotherday
    Everyotherday Posts: 237 Member
    It's like that everyday where I work. Home, work, or friends; I am always the one who helps move or fix something. Sucks being a tall/semi-strong big guy.
  • Everyotherday
    Everyotherday Posts: 237 Member
    of course letting it happen, is nothing but your own fault; so don't blame anyone but yourself. Don't take offense to it - but try to see through other peoples eyes. You were after-all volunteering, correct?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    You could probably let a 4-5 second long really smelly fart rip the next time they ask you to lift something. Maybe they won't ask again.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    You should have called me so I could watch. THAT was your faux pas.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Interesting. Not a problem I have. In fact I get angry when I am carrying a box or something large and others tell me "No, no, let the guy get it. He is a big strong man." .... I was doing just fine thank you. I appreciate you treating me like a fragile freakin' snowflake but I can handle it, and if I can't, I will let someone know I need assistance.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    No. You were volunteering. You went to the bathroom when roles were getting assigned, thus getting the cushy job of puting stickers on things. Also, from your profile picture, you do look big and strong. Imagine just how little work would have gotten done, if they had "volunteered" then 80 year old grandmother with the walker to lift the big heavy things.

Hush and be glad you got to volunteer for a cause you can be proud of.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I think your bigger problem is figuring out whether or not to log those activities as exercise calories.

Good on you for volunteering. :heart:

Next time just pass gas every time you bend down or pick something up.
  • hekate89
    hekate89 Posts: 28 Member
    Should you be offended by this? No.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I should be offended that I have to wear clothes in public just because I have nekkid bits!
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    well done for volunteering. Very noble thing to do. Good on you.

If you were offended by it - you could have walked out. No skin off your nose to be honest.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    I'm always looking for help from people with a strong back and a weak mind.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    were they serving Shakeology?
  • Jacwhite22
    were they serving Shakeology?

Apparently you haven't read the forum guidelines. If you don't have something helpful/on topic to add then please just move along...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • Jacwhite22
    For complaining i think that makes you the biggest p u ssy

You have violated two of the site guidelines. Please take your hate and bitterness elsewhere....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
  • Jacwhite22
    No. You were volunteering. You went to the bathroom when roles were getting assigned, thus getting the cushy job of puting stickers on things. Also, from your profile picture, you do look big and strong. Imagine just how little work would have gotten done, if they had "volunteered" then 80 year old grandmother with the walker to lift the big heavy things.

Hush and be glad you got to volunteer for a cause you can be proud of.

Do you really think I look big and strong?

:flowerforyou: :love: :blushing:
  • Jacwhite22
    Looks like it's about 50/50 between people who think I should be offended and people who think I am overreacting. Looking for more opinions to help me make my decision on if I should call.