Should I be offended?

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I don't get you guys. People come on here complaining about being treated differently because they are fatter, thinner, taller, etc. and you are all.....Oh you poor thing.....That's so awful....They are insensitive jerks.....let us at em..............I come on discussing being treated differently because I am stronger and it's all some big joke. Why is it ok for one and not the other. Do I feel less because I am a strong man?

common sense 101:

singled out for something negitive = insult

singled out for something positive = compliment

Are these definitions posted somewhere so I know how to feel when I am being singled out or did you make them up yourself?
    Surprised you didn't try to dig these off of the MFP Guidelines...

You are quick...
    kf1imh.gif
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are too easily offended these days. Being asked to do something because you're strong is a compliment. And a man offering to help a woman carry something is trying to be a gentleman. They are not trying to be a jerk by asking for help or offering to help. :(

I offer to help men and women carry stuff all the time. And I would have been the first one to volunteer to do the manual labor if they had asked for volunteers. My issue was they way they singled me out and assigned me certain tasks based solely on my body.

You sir, are a monster.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I work in IT and take it as a compliment that I have also been unofficially given the role as furniture mover/box carrier/etc etc. There could be much worse things to complain about

If you were an IT guy in my office when I worked I'd be making you move my chair from my desk to the conference room with me in it. Would that still be a compliment? I would pass if off as your duty by keeping my laptop on my lap the whole time and say I needed to keep working. (I feel like I'm ready for a management position, right now).
  • PumpkinTwerker
    Options
    You. Were. Not. Oppressed.

You were not stigmatized.

You were assigned a job based on your capabilities.

If you can't handle that, stop volunteering.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS get offended when people ask me to sit on the suitcase so they can get it closed.

F***ers.

f4i69x.jpg

That doesn't look like me AT ALL!

tumblr_mfofqmT2EA1rxevt4o1_500.gif
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could probably let a 4-5 second long really smelly fart rip the next time they ask you to lift something. Maybe they won't ask again.

Best advice here.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't get you guys. People come on here complaining about being treated differently because they are fatter, thinner, taller, etc. and you are all.....Oh you poor thing.....That's so awful....They are insensitive jerks.....let us at em..............I come on discussing being treated differently because I am stronger and it's all some big joke. Why is it ok for one and not the other. Do I feel less because I am a strong man?

This is FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT than other MFP users venting about how they are treated.

K?

oh really? How so? Please help me understand because it seems pretty similar to me. I'm not going to make certain analogies because I don't want this to get locked, but is increased manual labor a privilege? Is being called out and isolated because of the way your body looks a privilege? Which part should I be celebrating exactly?

Volunteering is a privilege.
    Being able bodied is a privilege.
    You were not "called out", you were called over.
    You were not isolated, you were given a task.

Your move.

I was called out and isolated based strictly upon my body. I agree that it is a privilege to be able bodied, and everyone else who is on here venting because they are treated differently because they are fatter, dumber, taller, shorter, etc.....they are all able bodied as well. I still fail to see the huge distinction about how one of these groups being treated differently is "FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT" than my scenario. Please help to explain that first and then we can debate other issues/thoughts as you see fit.

I re-read your OP.
    I was called out and isolated based strictly upon my body.
    No you weren't.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you aren't offend then I am not doing MY DAMN JOB!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Why are you referring to serving your community sentence as "volunteer work"? ;-)

thread winner
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Why are you referring to serving your community sentence as "volunteer work"? ;-)

thread winner
    Agreed!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This is FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT than other MFP users venting about how they are treated.

K?

oh really? How so? Please help me understand because it seems pretty similar to me. I'm not going to make certain analogies because I don't want this to get locked, but is increased manual labor a privilege? Is being called out and isolated because of the way your body looks a privilege? Which part should I be celebrating exactly?

Your move.

I was called out and isolated based strictly upon my body. I agree that it is a privilege to be able bodied, and everyone else who is on here venting because they are treated differently because they are fatter, dumber, taller, shorter, etc.....they are all able bodied as well. I still fail to see the huge distinction about how one of these groups being treated differently is "FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT" than my scenario. Please help to explain that first and then we can debate other issues/thoughts as you see fit.

I re-read your OP.
    No you weren't.

Reading comprehension is not your friend. I was assigned one task sight unseen......Then based on looks alone (from across the room no less) I was switched with someone else to a different task. How the f else are you going to explain that.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    Can we push this to page 7? I'm thinking so...
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What is the strongest? Your body..... I'm still failing to see the glaring difference in the two analogies.

Is it almost as ridiculous as someone not being able to ride a roller coaster because they are too short? Or buy an extra seat on an airplane because they are too fat? Or have to take the stairs at work because they are too short to push the top button?

...planes have weight limits. it's not just for people it's for your baggage, too.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Can we push this to page 7? I'm thinking so...

alllmmmossst... there...
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I.Was.Called Out.
    I Was assigned a job based on my body appearance alone.

I have no issue with the work.....or the volunteering....just the way it was assigned and I was called out. Help me understand why it's different than someone being assigned the anchor on the tug-of-war team because they are fatter or the basketball/volleyball player because they are taller.......Or the lollipop guild in the school play because they are shorter.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    What is the strongest? Your body..... I'm still failing to see the glaring difference in the two analogies.

Is it almost as ridiculous as someone not being able to ride a roller coaster because they are too short? Or buy an extra seat on an airplane because they are too fat? Or have to take the stairs at work because they are too short to push the top button?

...planes have weight limits. it's not just for people it's for your baggage, too.

And? Do they give children or small women a reduced fare because they weigh so little?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I'm getting scared of volunteering due to this thread.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    And? Do they give children or small women a reduced fare because they weigh so little?

Great point.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    I'm getting scared of volunteering due to this thread.

Right? It seems like a scary thing to do.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options

K?

Your move.

I re-read your OP.
    No you weren't.

Reading comprehension is not your friend. I was assigned one task sight unseen......Then based on looks alone (from across the room no less) I was switched with someone else to a different task. How the f else are you going to explain that.

My reading comprehension is quite good thank you. Perhaps your writing could use some work.

See, I missed the part where you talk about how they called you "muscle boy" and pointed and laughed. How some folks hid their face so they wouldn't have to look at you. Mumbled "Gross!" and "Disgusting!" and "You should get weak!" when you walked by. Then how they locked you in a room by yourself for your manual labor and only took time to open the door to throw rotten fruit at you.

See how that wasn't there?