Should I be offended?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• PumpkinTwerker
    Options
    You. Were. Not. Oppressed.

You were not stigmatized.

You were assigned a job based on your capabilities.

If you can't handle that, stop volunteering.

I.Was.Called Out.
    I Was assigned a job based on my body appearance alone.

I have no issue with the work.....or the volunteering....just the way it was assigned and I was called out. Help me understand why it's different than someone being assigned the anchor on the tug-of-war team because they are fatter or the basketball/volleyball player because they are taller.......Or the lollipop guild in the school play because they are shorter.

I would choose a tall person for basketball and a short person for a short character. I do not believe that is an issue.

Choosing an anchor based on weight would be considered offensive because people who are fat are already an oppressed and stigmatized group who have to deal with societal discrimination on a daily basis. See the difference?

You're as bad as people who make claims of "reverse racism". ugh.

You think tall people or short people aren't stigmatized

No, I don't. If you're talking about someone with Dwarfism, that's another issue entirely because that's a disability. And I don't believe I see tall people getting heckled on the street or given dirty looks at restaurants or treated in any way like someone who is fat gets treated.

I have not seen those kinds of actions to an overweight person since grade school. Kids are really mean

Well then you're lucky. My fat friend Ragen was out running and someone stopped their car, called her a fat b****, and threw eggs at her. My friend Paul, who is very big, had someone come up to him at a restaurant and yell at him in front of everyone for ordering something in Alfredo sauce. They are both in their late 30s. So NO, I do NOT think you should be whining. You have no idea what being singled out really means.

I really hope Ragen and Paul don't have MFP because you just called them fat and big and they are your friends? Especially Ragen though because that's such a unique spelling of that name plus your face is on your avi, and yeah...just sad.:embarassed:

Ragen has a blog called "Dances With Fat" and is a fat activist, so she calls herself fat and does not consider it an insult. She considers it a fact. And Paul calls himself "Big Paul" because he's about 500 pounds so...yeah. He is fine with it too.

I know how to refer to my friends, but thanks.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    For those who think that larger/stronger guys are not discriminated against this is a pretty good video and article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBb-8nWANA

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2011/05/gym_rat_control.html
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Body shaming bump...
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    were they serving Shakeology?

Apparently you haven't read the forum guidelines. If you don't have something helpful/on topic to add then please just move along...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Ok then...I was guessing this was a joke, but I was wrong.. so we'll go this way..

First, you have 6 more pages of posts that contain "rules offenses" to quote guidelines too users to, otherwise I'm reporting you and this thread, for the page one "personal attacks" where you singled out a couple post and attacked us with guidelines but didn't do so for any other users in the 6 pages to follow.. fix it or i'm reporting you and this thread, since you'd like to play that game on throwing rules around.

Secondly, Apparently you are too thin skinned and are making a problem out of nothing for this type of interaction.. There are people that have real issues in life (unable to eat, or provide for themselves, or family) there are homeless people that have no place to live or food to eat and rely on these food banks, homeless shelters, and the kindness of strangers that volunteer their precious time to help those with real problems and you, by complaining are making it an uncomfortable place to be and those people that want to show up and do good work, are going to eventually not want to volunteer anymore for fear of someone complaining all the time and making problems for everyone trying to get the job done.

The solution then, is simple, press on , or don't volunteer anymore. There was no shaming, there was a request for help since you had some strength. They DID NOT label you or anything, stop making something out of nothing.

(before you start quoting guidelines again))
    We servicemen/women don’t run to the Commander in Chief or our congressman every time they ask us to carry gear or stack a sandbag…hope your happy with your attention.

#backtorealissues
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Apparently you haven't read the forum guidelines. If you don't have something helpful/on topic to add then please just move along...

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Ok then...I was guessing this was a joke, but I was wrong.. so we'll go this way..

First, you have 6 more pages of posts that contain "rules offenses" to quote guidelines too users to, otherwise I'm reporting you and this thread, for the page one "personal attacks" where you singled out a couple post and attacked us with guidelines but didn't do so for any other users in the 6 pages to follow.. fix it or i'm reporting you and this thread, since you'd like to play that game on throwing rules around.

Secondly, Apparently you are too thin skinned and are making a problem out of nothing for this type of interaction.. There are people that have real issues in life (unable to eat, or provide for themselves, or family) there are homeless people that have no place to live or food to eat and rely on these food banks, homeless shelters, and the kindness of strangers that volunteer their precious time to help those with real problems and you, by complaining are making it an uncomfortable place to be and those people that want to show up and do good work, are going to eventually not want to volunteer anymore for fear of someone complaining all the time and making problems for everyone trying to get the job done.

The solution then, is simple, press on , or don't volunteer anymore. There was no shaming, there was a request for help since you had some strength. They DID NOT label you or anything, stop making something out of nothing.

We servicemen/women don’t run to the Commander in Chief or our congressman every time they ask us to carry gear or stack a sandbag…hope your happy with your attention.

#backtorealissues

Spot on.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Body shaming bump...
    keyyrk.gif

much cry
    so shame
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

#backtorealissues

I have the utmost respect for our servicemen and women so i am going to refrain from responding to the logical holes in your post. Thank you for everything you do.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You're offended because someone called you out for being strong.

Would you rather it was the opposite, that you were called out for being weak?

Take a good look at the people who are coming to receive that help you're volunteering for and you'll see what a real problem is.

I'm offended because I was treated differently because of my body. too weak, too strong, too skinny, too fat? Is there really that big of a difference?

hoping this is a troll.

On the off chance its not... would it have made a difference to you if they asked for your help, and thier stated reason was 'because you are the strongest' and they made no mention of you body?

not sure what could possibly be offensive in that case
    So if you have a group of athletes and one out of shape chubby person and you say......"Here....you come with me and do this job because you are the most out of shape" that's ok? Even if no mention is made of their body? I want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Sounds like you're being overly sensitive. If you were about to have a three way with a hot chick and she poiinted at you and said you come over here and do me because the other guy in the room has a tiny wenis, would you stop and say no thanks you're discriminating against the other guy based on wenis size.

Stop being overly sensitive and the next time someone asks you to lift the couch because you look big and strong get your *kitten* over there and lift the couch.

I would much rather volunteer my time lifting and getting *kitten* done than putting stickers on bags.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you write it down to keep track of how many times you are selected due to strength.

If this becomes a constant problem you may need to take it up with your parents, personal trainer, supplement companies and other advocates for strength.

If this is a one time occurrence and it doesn't happen again then I say move on and stop hanging out with people who look/seem stronger than you.

...wonder if I am offending tall guys when I ask them to get things off the high shelf...

Tall guys aren't offended when they are asked to reach something that others can't.

Funny story, i am 6'3" and my mother is 5'0". when i went off to college i got replaced by a step stool. Talk about offended.
    lol
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    In before lock! :laugh:

Wow. OP. Just wow. VERY VERY Dedicated Trolling! :smile:
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm offended that this post keeps popping up on my recent topics.
    5940 posts? Seriously, I'm impressed by the tenacity to keep it up.
    Something tells me that you should just let it go and move on to the next offense.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I'm offended that this post keeps popping up on my recent topics.
    5940 posts? Seriously, I'm impressed by the tenacity to keep it up.
    Something tells me that you should just let it go and move on to the next offense.

Are you now judging me based on my post count? I have been here a long time and I try to offer helpful advice in the forums. Judgey mc judgerson.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you write it down to keep track of how many times you are selected due to strength.

If this becomes a constant problem you may need to take it up with your parents, personal trainer, supplement companies and other advocates for strength.

If this is a one time occurrence and it doesn't happen again then I say move on and stop hanging out with people who look/seem stronger than you.

...wonder if I am offending tall guys when I ask them to get things off the high shelf...

Tall guys aren't offended when they are asked to reach something that others can't.

Funny story, i am 6'3" and my mother is 5'0". when i went off to college i got replaced by a step stool. Talk about offended.
    lol

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I even ask tall guys when their women are there. I'm 5'2, my husband 6'. Ladies ask him to help constantly too.

I think for Christmas I may ask for a Grabber - I need a stool AND a broom handle to knock stuff down in my laundry room.

CANNOT believe this is at 8 pages... and I just helped. -sigh-
  • Lost75byDecember
    Options
    So today I went to volunteer at a local food bank. When we got there I had to go to the restroom so I went as the other volunteers were getting set up. When I got into the kitchen, all of the volunteers had been assigned positions and I was given the role of putting stickers on meals to show when they needed to be used/thrown away by. So as I grab the stickers and begin to perform my role, one of the coordinators calls out from across the kitchen that they need me in their area because it is a lot of manual labor and I was the biggest/strongest one there. I felt so embarrassed with them calling me out like that. Why should I be singled out and tasked with the harder/physical jobs just because I am the strongest? I feel like I have discriminated against because of my body. Should I call and complain?

This probably didn't even happen. Most likely, like all his posts, they're for attention. That's all folks.