Running with stiches on bottom of foot

vmclach
vmclach Posts: 670 Member
Hi there. Before you ask, the doc in the ER said no running until stiches are out..

However, running is my life. I'd call it am addiction. It's been 4 days since I fell off that machanical bull and stepped on glass. I sliced my big toe open. I currently have 7 stiches on the bottom of my big toe.

I've been biking 20-25 miles a day.. I want to run. I can walk around fine. Why not try it out says the little voice inside my head.

To run or not to run?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,941 Member
    And break open the stitches? You do realize when you run, you increase the PSI by 3 fold?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I wouldn't run, the impact of running could definitely tear the wound back open and then you are talking more days until healing and possible the need for two layers of stitches.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Hi there. Before you ask, the doc in the ER said no running until stiches are out..

To run or not to run?

I bet you don't even preheat the oven before you put the batch of brownies in do you? That's the first thing it says to do in the instructions.
  • vmclach

To run or not to run?

I bet you don't even preheat the oven before you put the batch of brownies in do you? That's the first thing it says to do in the instructions.

Lol how did you know :-) ?!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    the doc in the ER said no running until stiches are out..

there is your answer
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    And break open the stitches? You do realize when you run, you increase the PSI by 3 fold?

It increases the PSY 3 fold?

psy-halloween-costume-480x360.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

To run or not to run?

Lol how did you know :-) ?!

tumblr_llmzfdn6fN1qdlkgg.gif
  • jefferytmc
    jefferytmc Posts: 26 Member
    I do not typically listen to the docs advice either, but for this one I would. The pressure you would create would like rip out the stitches and that would hurt like a mutha. Plus you would have to get re-stitched.

You should have just patched yourself up with duct tape and been done with it and you could have run by now. ;)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Don't run. If you are that addicted to running that you can't take a break for an injury, you may want to find someone you can talk to.
  • vmclach
    Don't run. If you are that addicted to running that you can't take a break for an injury, you may want to find someone you can talk to.

I just can't seem to break this addiction. All my tears on Saturday were from the thought of not being able to run NOT from pain or the fact that I had hurt my body.
  • MyChocolateDiet

It increases the PSY 3 fold?

psy-halloween-costume-480x360.jpg

Please don't traumatize the PSY with open stitches on feets.

giphy.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    if the majority say no, will you listen?
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    One thing that I have experienced is an infection in my toe. A simple infection untreated in your toe can set you back even more. It is EXTREMELY painful and can lead to bigger problems like 24 hour anti-biotics and a stay in the hospital with the hope to not have your toe amputated.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    if the majority say no, will you listen?

PSY says no.

3.jpg
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I would think it would be pretttttyyyyyy obvious that running will rip out the stitches....... :huh:
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this but you are just hoping and praying someone will tell you its ok, lol. Nope not gonna happen. But I know how you feel. Last Sunday I was so upset because a tiny piece of glass was stuck in my foot and I couldnt get it out no matter how hard I tried. I refused to let this stop my run, so I ran with it anyway, all the while picturing it going deeper and deeper, lol. a week later and it must have fallen out on its own somewhere along the way because I cant feel it anymore.
  • vmclach
    I find it surprising a girl who drunkenly injures herself riding a mechanical bull doesn't have enough sense to not run with stitches after being specifically told not to. Very surprising.

Who said anything about drunk?!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Run now and risk permanent damage that never let's you run again. Still seem worth it?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member

However, running is my life. I'd call it am addiction. It's been 4 days since I fell off that machanical bull and stepped on glass. I sliced my big toe open. I currently have 7 stiches on the bottom of my big toe.

I've been biking 20-25 miles a day.. I want to run. I can walk around fine. Why not try it out says the little voice inside my head.

To run or not to run?
    This forum never ceases to amaze me.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member

To run or not to run?
    This forum never ceases to amaze me.

I would agree 100%. I thought you were trolling for a minute.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this but you are just hoping and praying someone will tell you its ok, lol. Nope not gonna happen. But I know how you feel. Last Sunday I was so upset because a tiny piece of glass was stuck in my foot and I couldnt get it out no matter how hard I tried. I refused to let this stop my run, so I ran with it anyway, all the while picturing it going deeper and deeper, lol. a week later and it must have fallen out on its own somewhere along the way because I cant feel it anymore.

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard it from an X ray guy I used to be in a relationship with. I once got a tiny piece of glass in my foot and he wanted to take me to the ER after pulling it out to make sure it was all out b/c it was so thin and he said if ti got in my bloodstream I could die. Makes no sense to me but I'm not a medical field worker and my understanding of my body is limted to feminine hygene products and the tiem it takes alcohol to metabolize out of my system.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Casting my vote: Don't run.

Next.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Hm, not enough people fall into your oats post? A good tip is to not throw out a whole bunch of troll threads at once -- too obvious. Unless, of course, you're just posting for the thrill of internet attention. Then, well... I believe that edges on spam.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    I know how you feel but I wouldn't chance it. Look at it this way, the break from running will do you good. When the stitches come out you'll be back to running full throttle.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I find it surprising a girl who drunkenly injures herself riding a mechanical bull doesn't have enough sense to not run with stitches after being specifically told not to. Very surprising.

Inorite?

Reported!

200_s.gif
  • vmclach

No one rides a mechanical bull sober. The sober people at bars with mechanical bulls are the people watching the drunk people try to ride the bull. They're watching the drunk guy trying to prove how macho he is and the drunk girl trying to look sexy.

Whoa is someone a little bitter? :'-)
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    2qd7j4l.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • ninav1980

No one rides a mechanical bull sober. The sober people at bars with mechanical bulls are the people watching the drunk people try to ride the bull. They're watching the drunk guy trying to prove how macho he is and the drunk girl trying to look sexy.

um, so false
    Ive ridden sober many times, and fall off regardless.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    You know it makes sense not to run, cycle or exercise in any way which will put the wound at risk . BECAUSE if you well, do more damage, increase the risk of infection and YOY WILL be laid up for even longer. No heroics, please.
  • ninav1980

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard it from an X ray guy I used to be in a relationship with. I once got a tiny piece of glass in my foot and he wanted to take me to the ER after pulling it out to make sure it was all out b/c it was so thin and he said if ti got in my bloodstream I could die. Makes no sense to me but I'm not a medical field worker and my understanding of my body is limted to feminine hygene products and the tiem it takes alcohol to metabolize out of my system.

thanks for freaking me out, lol
    this was 2 Sundays ago, so its been 10 days, Im still alive, hoping it just fell out