Running with stiches on bottom of foot

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    No. No. No. As all here are saying. Put it this way: If it's agony to stop running for a spell, imagine the roaring infection you will get--or stitches/skin ripped open--and how it will greatly lengthen the time you can't run. Just do what you're supposed to.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    2qd7j4l.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things.
    I know, even psy wants to turn off this thread...and OP's treadmill.
    psi_gentleman_041513.jpg

Sersly OP, can you feel better about stationary biking if you view it as preparation for future runs you'll be able to enjoy for years to come instead of taking a chance of reinjury and being sidelined longer?

I'm just wondering how close you are to accepting biking for awhile now that you've gotten some feedback from ppl other than your Dr.?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    the doc in the ER said no running until stiches are out..

there is your answer

QFT
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this but you are just hoping and praying someone will tell you its ok, lol. Nope not gonna happen. But I know how you feel. Last Sunday I was so upset because a tiny piece of glass was stuck in my foot and I couldnt get it out no matter how hard I tried. I refused to let this stop my run, so I ran with it anyway, all the while picturing it going deeper and deeper, lol. a week later and it must have fallen out on its own somewhere along the way because I cant feel it anymore.

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard it from an X ray guy I used to be in a relationship with. I once got a tiny piece of glass in my foot and he wanted to take me to the ER after pulling it out to make sure it was all out b/c it was so thin and he said if ti got in my bloodstream I could die. Makes no sense to me but I'm not a medical field worker and my understanding of my body is limted to feminine hygene products and the tiem it takes alcohol to metabolize out of my system.

thanks for freaking me out, lol
    this was 2 Sundays ago, so its been 10 days, Im still alive, hoping it just fell out

I didn't say it to freak you out. Sorry if that caused that. I asked b/c it freaked ME out when it was said to me and now I'm super careful and frightened whenever that happens to me or anyone around me!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Bump for the PSY gifs!!!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Do NOT run. The foot is a complex appendage. Why risk a prolonged recovery because you have done additional damage?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Don't run. If you are that addicted to running that you can't take a break for an injury, you may want to find someone you can talk to.

I just can't seem to break this addiction. All my tears on Saturday were from the thought of not being able to run NOT from pain or the fact that I had hurt my body.

I offered to mail you knitting needles and yarn. I'll even throw in an idea book.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    How can you read the title of your own thread, and think that this is in any way, a good idea?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    It sounds like the stitches are the least of your issues if you're willing to re-injure yourself over something stupid as running.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    NO!!! Find a new hobby for 14 days. Maybe seek counseling for your addiction. This shouldn't be a big deal. Don't make it a bigger one by running on it and causing complications.
    Recover fully, and then you can create a new humble-brag post about how you listened to your doctor.

ETA: Cycling>running anyway....
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    I say go for it. Between that and your magic oatmeal, it'll make for an epic week.
    Lets-do-this-Post-your-best-gif.jpg
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Why are you even asking? You're going to do whatever the h3ll you want to anyway.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    http://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Stitches

What about removing them?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    8zijok.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I find it surprising a girl who drunkenly injures herself riding a mechanical bull doesn't have enough sense to not run with stitches after being specifically told not to. Very surprising.

Who said anything about drunk?!

No one rides a mechanical bull sober. The sober people at bars with mechanical bulls are the people watching the drunk people try to ride the bull. They're watching the drunk guy trying to prove how macho he is and the drunk girl trying to look sexy.

Whoa is someone a little bitter? :'-)

PSY rides sober, he still falls too.

21e2vh69ar4p.jpg
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this but you are just hoping and praying someone will tell you its ok, lol. Nope not gonna happen. But I know how you feel. Last Sunday I was so upset because a tiny piece of glass was stuck in my foot and I couldnt get it out no matter how hard I tried. I refused to let this stop my run, so I ran with it anyway, all the while picturing it going deeper and deeper, lol. a week later and it must have fallen out on its own somewhere along the way because I cant feel it anymore.

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard it from an X ray guy I used to be in a relationship with. I once got a tiny piece of glass in my foot and he wanted to take me to the ER after pulling it out to make sure it was all out b/c it was so thin and he said if ti got in my bloodstream I could die. Makes no sense to me but I'm not a medical field worker and my understanding of my body is limted to feminine hygene products and the tiem it takes alcohol to metabolize out of my system.

thanks for freaking me out, lol
    this was 2 Sundays ago, so its been 10 days, Im still alive, hoping it just fell out

I hiked 60 miles with tiny shards of glass embedded in my foot. Finally, when I worked up the nerve, I sanitized an exacto knife, sliced the bottom of my foot open, and dug with tweezers until I found what was left of the glass. I talked to my doctor later and asked him if I needed antibiotics or anything. He said 'no - as long as it doesn't hurt or look infected, you'll be fine'. I also asked if anything bad could happen if I missed tiny pieces of glass. He also said no to that. This was last fall, and I'm still alive.

I've never heard of glass working its way into the bloodstream. I think the body's natural defense is to push foreign bodies out through the skin. My doctor said splinters - glass and wood - almost always come to the surface. :-)

Also - I agree with you about sober people riding mechanical bulls. On vacation, we watched an entire Amish family take turns riding a mechanical bull on the Cherokee reservation in NC. I'm pretty sure none of them were drunk - especially not the kids! haha
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    re: your "addiction"...

There are far worse addictions to have. Heck, Step right up, lemme make you a deal... I'll trade you my Oreo, my Peanut Butter, and my Jelly bean addiction for your one single passion...

Honestly though, if I were in your place, I'd just have to consider hunkering down and not running. After all, the LAST thing you want to do is rip open the stitches and have to start the whole "can't run" thing all over again from scratch..

Sue the bar with the bull and glass. That'll take your mind off of it. :)

Wayne
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Go for it. Take your stitches out and run. :laugh:

• MyChocolateDiet
    Why are you even asking? You're going to do whatever the h3ll you want to anyway.

The number of times I've said this in the past week, there really should be memes for this sentiment.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member

then you wouldnt be running with stitches, right? right.

theres your answer.

if you remove them, you negate the issue and are clear to run.

ETA: its sad, but i feel i need to add this...im not actually condoning this, just enjoying what a bad troll the OP is.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    How can you read the title of your own thread, and think that this is in any way, a good idea?

Because...Running!

giphy.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet

then you wouldnt be running with stitches, right? right.

theres your answer.

if you remove them, you negate the issue and are clear to run.

ETA: its sad, but i feel i need to add this...im not actually condoning this, just enjoying what a bad troll the OP is.
    So glad u clear up meaning. U make PSY very very angry for a minute there.

Screen-shot-2012-08-08-at-11.30.37-AM.png
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Nope. Don't run.

There are worse addictions than running, no need to trade it in for sitting on the couch watching TV.

You don't have to be drunk to fall off of a mechanical bull, but it helps for getting on one in the first place.

I agree with the duct tape theory.....you should have done that if you didn't want anyone telling you what to do.

It will feel great when you do finally get back out there. :)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    In for stiches running!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    I'm taking the contrary position to everyone else: just go for it! Leave the stitches in and go for a LSR or bust out some intervals. What's the worst thing that happens?

(just figured you should have some support, since Carson was totally right, but way to get some attention for your owwie!)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    burned 342 calories doing 41 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Bull Riding, vigorous effort"
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    If the doc says no...

th?id=HN.608002468316710653&pid=15.1
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Run now and risk permanent damage that never let's you run again. Still seem worth it?

^This
    I'm taking the contrary position to everyone else: just go for it! Leave the stitches in and go for a LSR or bust out some intervals. What's the worst thing that happens?

(just figured you should have some support, since Carson was totally right, but way to get some attention for your owwie!)

And this ^
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    so... the ER doc said no, because you have stitches, yet you're willing to take those stitches for a test run? I don't mean this to sound rude, but, were you dropped on your head as a baby??
  • MyChocolateDiet

Support is nice. Maybe she was just looking for someone to support her during her run. With stitches this might require TWO spotters, one to lessen the impact on the foot and one to be ready underneath to cushion the blows.

...FORM vid pending

psy-gentleman-o.gif