Options

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2
    Starting weight: 218
    Current Weight: 173.8
    Goal weight: 140 (will re-evaluate when goal is reached)
    Activity level: Lightly Active (at least 10k steps most days)
    Weight loss goal: 1 pounds per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1530
    Average Calorie intake: 1800-2000
    Exercise: Walking, ab challenge average 3 miles per day
    Macros: 25% Protein / 5% Carb / 70% Fat
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You know this thread has made me feel a lot better about the MFP community. I was getting the distinct impression from the forums that 95% of people were eating 1200 calories and wondering why they were tired or hungry all the time. Getting to the point where I was contemplating continuing to use the tool but quitting the forums because it can be so aggravating.

Turns out though apparently when you poll people most of the responses have much higher calorie nets and goals than I would have expected based on the common forum posts. :-)

Aaron That's because the one's doing 1200 are having problems, and that's why they're posting for help, and eveyone jumps on them. I think the majority are just trundling along---slow but sure. We all get a bit frustrated now and again, but that's normal. So, keep up the good work majority MFP'ers! :heart:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Starting weight: 195
    Current Weight: 181
    Goal weight: 155 (Then we will see)
    Activity level: Lightly Active (desk job but exercise)
    Weight loss goal: Lose 2.5 per week (Yes, its been working)
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1000
    Average Calorie intake: 1200
    Exercise: Running 40 min 6x week, walking to work and back 50 min 5x week, hot yoga
    Macros: 40% Protein / 40% Carb / 20% Fat

Criticism welcomed

Your weekly weight loss goal is agressive and unnecessary. With 30lbs you should be at 1lb a week. Hence your low calorie goals. Which imo is too low.

The goal here should be to eat as much as you can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight not starve and lose max amount of weight. You are doing yourself a dis-service and will lose valuable muscle doing what you are doing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Height: 5'7
    Starting Weight: 208
    Current Weight: 192
    Goal Weight: 160 or 20% bodyfat
    Activity Level: Lightly Active
    Weight Loss Goal: 1 lb. per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1420
    Average Calorie Intake: 1700-1950
    Exercise: Heavy lifting 4x week plus 5-6 days of cardio ( spinning and Cybex Arc trainer)
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carbs / 30% Fat although I am usually about 25% protein and 45% carbs when all is said and done....

I have been averaging .75 lbs. lost per week and I attribute that to the heavy lifting and building muscle and also not estimating calories consumed as accurately as I think (although I do weigh just about everything). As long as I continue to progress, I am happy because this is NOT HARD and I love to exercise and feel great.

Sorry no you are not building muscle if you are in a deficit...you need a surplus for that. Even lifting at a deficit doesn't build muscle unless you are obese or new to lifting. You may be building strength however that does not mean muscle.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    You know this thread has made me feel a lot better about the MFP community. I was getting the distinct impression from the forums that 95% of people were eating 1200 calories and wondering why they were tired or hungry all the time. Getting to the point where I was contemplating continuing to use the tool but quitting the forums because it can be so aggravating.

Turns out though apparently when you poll people most of the responses have much higher calorie nets and goals than I would have expected based on the common forum posts. :-)

Aaron That's because the one's doing 1200 are having problems, and that's why they're posting for help, and eveyone jumps on them. I think the majority are just trundling along---slow but sure. We all get a bit frustrated now and again, but that's normal. So, keep up the good work majority MFP'ers! :heart:

x2
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Height: 6'
    Starting weight: 110 kg
    Current Weight: 84 kg
    Goal weight: 80kg
    Activity level: sedentary job
    Weight loss goal: 1 pounds per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1670
    Average Calorie intake: 1800-2000
    Exercise: cycling , running , kettlercise
    Macros: 20% Protein / 50% Carb / 30% Fat ( I haven't adjusted the default but it matches what I normally eat well
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8
    Starting Weight: 137,4 kg
    Current Weight: 118 kg
    Goal Weight: don't know now (75 kg or so)
    Activity Level: Lightly Active
    Weight Loss Goal: 800 g per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1800
    Average Calorie Intake: 1700-1950
    Exercise: walking, hiking, mini-liftings,
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carbs / 30% Fat - but most of the time carbs or fat get higher.

I am with Aaron, I see far to many women with only 1200 cals a day.
    And it is mainly women doing this. I know, I know, men burn more, but I see differences of 900 - 1000 cals for (almost) same hights.
    I would die. Literally. Or become a murderer. Or both. Most definitly both.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'll bite.

Height: 5'7" (170cm)
    Starting weight: 230 lbs (104.5kg)
    Current Weight: 163 lbs (74kg)
    Goal weight: none (20% body fat or less)
    Activity level: Lightly Active
    Weight loss goal: N/A, it's all about body fat
    Calorie Goal (Net): 2100
    Average Calorie intake: ~2500
    Exercise: Run/jog/walk every weekday (to, from, and for lunch at work), lift weights 3-4 times a week
    Macros: 20% Protein / 45% Carb / 35% Fat

I always eat back my exercise calories. I've also been known to skimp a few days to be able to devour everything in sight on the weekend. :D
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8"
    Starting weight: 250
    Current Weight: 187
    Goal weight: 160
    Activity level: Very active. I work out at least an hour every day (my TDEE= 2800-3200 per day)
    Weight loss goal: 0.5 - 1 pound per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1500
    Average Calorie intake: 2350
    Exercise: Running, horseback riding, taekwondo, weight lifting, walking, swimming, step aerobics
    Macros: Don't know, don't care. :laugh:

Criticism: Open to criticism, but I'm not changing anything because all this is working for me. :drinker:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'6.5"
    Starting weight: 260
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal weight: 150
    Activity level: Sedentary
    Weight loss goal: 1/2 pound per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1450
    Average Calorie intake: 2000
    Exercise: mostly walking at the moment (can't bring myself to spend time in the gym when it's so nice out!) 3.5-4 miles per day
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carb / 30 % Fat

Criticism: No thanks, I'm good
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7''
    Starting weight: 215lbs
    Current Weight: 164lbs
    Goal weight: 157lbs (then reassess)
    Activity level: Lightly Active at work and in life
    Weight loss goal: 0.5lbs per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1790
    Average Calorie intake: net around 1500 because I was until very recently set at 1lb/week loss, but that will go up now to 1750ish
    Exercise: NROL4W Stage 1 three days/week; Zumba 1hr/week; Bokwa 1hr/week; Yoga 1hr/week; try to run for 2x30mins/week; various other ad hoc stuff
    Macros: As set by MFP

Criticism: Be gentle with me!
  • JennyBilyeu
    JennyBilyeu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'4"
    Starting Weight: 270 lbs
    Current Weigh: Unknown
    Goal Weight: 160 lbs
    Activity: Moderately Active. My job requires a lot of lifting, walking, and I climb the stairs a lot.
    Calorie Goal: 1200
    Average Calorie Intake: 1100-1200
    Exercise: Walking, Stairs, Lifting 10-30 lbs

I have been criticized my whole life. Being that this here will be positive criticism...bring it on!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Average Calorie intake: net around 1500 because I was until very recently set at 1lb/week loss
    Exercise: NROL4W Stage 1 three days/week; Zumba 1hr/week; Bokwa 1hr/week; try to run for 2x30mins/week; various other ad hoc stuff

If you are lifting you need to be eating seriously way more protein than MFP's minimum, which is a joke :)
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Average Calorie intake: net around 1500 because I was until very recently set at 1lb/week loss
    Exercise: NROL4W Stage 1 three days/week; Zumba 1hr/week; Bokwa 1hr/week; try to run for 2x30mins/week; various other ad hoc stuff

If you are lifting you need to be eating seriously way more protein than MFP's minimum, which is a joke :)

Thanks - I will look into that. As a vegetarian who doesn't like nuts, protein is a challenge, but one I'm prepared to take on!
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8"
    Starting weight: 210
    Current weight: 180
    Goal weight: 150-160
    Activity level: currently sedentary
    Weight loss goal: 50-60 lbs
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1370
    Average Calorie Intake: 1470
    Exercise: Run/walk, elliptical, resistance, dancing, swimming (~500 min/week)
    Macros: what mfp set up ???
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"'
    Starting weight: 207 (HW 216)
    Current Weight: 168
    Goal weight: 155? Or a BF% where I am comfortable and I can sustain
    Weight loss goal: .5 per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1650
    Average Calorie intake: (honestly not sure - I am somewhere between 1600-1800)
    Exercise: Dumbbell compound lifts with progressive loading 3X a week (adding in isolation where needed) / walk 3.0 - 3.3 MPH 30-60 minutes 4-5/wk
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carb / 30% Fat

Criticism: Are you saying open to critique by anyone? Or you? How does this work exactly?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'9"
    Starting weight: 202
    Current Weight: 136
    Goal weight: 136
    Weight loss goal: Maintain
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1880
    Average Calorie intake: 2200
    Exercise: Mix of hiking and circuit training (I'm cross-training with low-impact cardio equipment right now - due to injury)
    Macros: 15% Protein / 50% Carb / 35% Fat
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Height: 5'4"
    Starting Weight: 270 lbs
    Current Weigh: Unknown
    Goal Weight: 160 lbs
    Activity: Moderately Active. My job requires a lot of lifting, walking, and I climb the stairs a lot.
    Calorie Goal: 1200
    Average Calorie Intake: 1100-1200
    Exercise: Walking, Stairs, Lifting 10-30 lbs

I have been criticized my whole life. Being that this here will be positive criticism...bring it on!!

Your calorie goal and intake are way too low. You can eat more food and still lose weight. Esp since you have an active job and exercise. The unfortunate thing about eating such low calories is that the weight you are losing is muscle and fat, you will eventually be lethargic, tired, you will notice your nails will be soft and peel, your hair will be brittle and break easy.

And if you stay here long enough you will do long term damage that you wont see until later in life where bone density is an issue etc.

I would suggest upping calories and ensure you eat back your exercise calories. I took your stats (guessed at weight based on ticker) and you could be eating as much at 1500-2000 calories a day and still losing weight...up to 2lbs a week.