Two + Months in, not a pound gone

Options

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think the reason people are having a hard time with this is because you either represent an evolution in human existence wherein mankind no longer needed to eat to stay healthy and alive or you are measuring stuff wrong.

I personally want to believe the former but history suggests that the later is more likely to be true.

I would suggest just logging everything for a while, open up the diary and let folks offer some honest advice. Obviously consult with your doctors as we are all just internet experts but we do try to help!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What are your daily macros? There is so much information everyone can learn from by taking a look at your diary.
    I would also suggest measuring your body as a sign of weight loss and not just basing it on the number on the scale. I went through 3 months of physio therapy where I was lifting weights and doing strengthening exercises. The scale only dropped a couple pounds but my measurements changed a lot! Muscle weights more than fat so you could be building muscle through your exercises.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Also, you say your resting metabolic rate is 2345, so you're saying you're burning about 850 calories through exercise every day? That's a LOT of exercise. I think your calculations are off; you're overestimating how much you're burning and you're eating too much. That's my opinion.
    If her resting rate is 2345 she doesn't need to burn 850 in exercise. Resting metabolic rate doesn't take into consideration daily activity. RMR is what you body burns just from running itself. Walking around your house, cooking, cleaning, bathing, etc are all not accounted for in RMR. It also doesn't take into account thermic effect of food. So her total expenditure (the 2800-3300 she listed) is RMR + exercise + thermic effect of food+ NEAT (non exercise associated thermogenesis). Not just RMR + exercise.

Preach it, brother.
  • goddesskristie
    Options
    My nutritionist has me eating 50% carbs 30% fat and 20% protein. If I don't watch it closely it ends up at 40-45-15.

My trainer has measured me and not found any change at all. My weight hasn't changed in either direction despite doubling my calories slowly over the last two months. I weigh every day and see a range of about 5 pounds, but that range hasnt changed in the last 7 years, except when I was pregnant. Interestingly, when I am pregnant I lose weight and when I come home after the birth I am 25 lbs down, but that is all back by my 6wk postpartum appointment.I have had 3 and this happened al three times.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    There are caveats to CICO which some people have a hard time acknowledging. Whether it's a difference in biochemistry that we don't fully understand or difficulty in calculating the CO part of the equation, I'm not sure. But the TYPE of calories will make a big difference for SOME people. For example, people with insulin resistance will lose more weight with the same amount of calories if less of their calories come from carbs because of the abnormal glucose metabolism issue with insulin resistance. They've done studies on this (for those that insist on seeing it, I'll look for it to be posted with an edit). So, for people with such issues, how they create the deficit makes a HUGE difference in their actual weight loss.

First, are you weighing everything you eat with a food scale so you're sure of your actual intake? If you're not doing this, I highly recommend doing this first to get an accurate picture of the CI part of the equation. This is probably the most common error most people make -- grossly underestimating their calories eaten. And, as others have pointed out, measuring spoons/cups aren't as accurate as weight for solids. Please do this first.

Second, if you're already weighing your food and confident in your intake, then you need to go to the doctor again and get things checked. I know you said you were fine, but I was told I was fine for over 10 years by 4 different doctors until I really researched issues myself, understood what tests needed to be done and what they meant. Then, bingo, I finally got the correct diagnosis and treatment --- and not only felt 1000x better, but also finally started losing weight like a "normal" person.

From my journey, I'm familiar with thyroid issues and insulin resistance. Do you know if you've had the following tests done for them and what their numbers were:

Thyroid -- Free T3, Free T4, TSH, both antibodies (TPO and Tg)
    Insulin resistance -- A1C

Over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance in pre-diabetic or diabetic levels (2/3 of the pre-diabetic folks are undiagnosed) -- and that makes it very hard to lose weight and very easy to gain weight without the proper diet, and possibly medication. That's a LOT of people. 8% or so of the population have a thyroid disorder, 2/3 of which are undiagnosed.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    OP at this point I am beginning to wonder why you won't open your diary? Multiple people have requested it in order to help you. I'm not trying to be accusatory but what is your reasoning for not wanting to?
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be rude, but I have a lot of friends, women, in your exact situation who have Hashi's or PCOS.
    It is not as simple as cals in, cals out for them.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Weigh your food carefully, log every gram. Log every condiment, every topping, every single thing that goes into your mouth. Forget about eating calories back, just figure out your TDEE and eat the same amount every day whether you exercise or not.

I used this:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I also multiplied by body weight by 0.8 to find the number of calories I should be eating every day.

My goal is set to 0.5lb/wk on fitness pal and ultimately that is what I'm using as it was very close to my calculations.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be rude, but I have a lot of friends, women, in your exact situation who have Hashi's or PCOS.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the incidence of PCOS and Hashimoto's does not support the number of people on MFP who claim to have these disorders. Again, I could be wrong but it seems like every time I turn around someone else is posting about how they can't lose weight because they have PCOS. If a physician diagnoses it, fine, but if not... it's just an excuse.
  • goddesskristie
    Options
    There are caveats to CICO which some people have a hard time acknowledging. Whether it's a difference in biochemistry that we don't fully understand or difficulty in calculating the CO part of the equation, I'm not sure. But the TYPE of calories will make a big difference for SOME people. For example, people with insulin resistance will lose more weight with the same amount of calories if less of their calories come from carbs because of the abnormal glucose metabolism issue with insulin resistance. They've done studies on this (for those that insist on seeing it, I'll look for it to be posted with an edit). So, for people with such issues, how they create the deficit makes a HUGE difference in their actual weight loss.

First, are you weighing everything you eat with a food scale so you're sure of your actual intake? If you're not doing this, I highly recommend doing this first to get an accurate picture of the CI part of the equation. This is probably the most common error most people make -- grossly underestimating their calories eaten. And, as others have pointed out, measuring spoons/cups aren't as accurate as weight for solids. Please do this first.

Second, if you're already weighing your food and confident in your intake, then you need to go to the doctor again and get things checked. I know you said you were fine, but I was told I was fine for over 10 years by 4 different doctors until I really researched issues myself, understood what tests needed to be done and what they meant. Then, bingo, I finally got the correct diagnosis and treatment --- and not only felt 1000x better, but also finally started losing weight like a "normal" person.

From my journey, I'm familiar with thyroid issues and insulin resistance. Do you know if you've had the following tests done for them and what their numbers were:

Over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance in pre-diabetic or diabetic levels (2/3 of the pre-diabetic folks are undiagnosed) -- and that makes it very hard to lose weight and very easy to gain weight without the proper diet, and possibly medication. That's a LOT of people. 8% or so of the population have a thyroid disorder, 2/3 of which are undiagnosed.

I do use measuring cups for some things. I will be weighing more and eating out less to ensure more accurate calculations in the future ( thanks for the tips!).

I have had all of those tests done except A1c. They did a fasting glucose and it was fine. All of those tests (plus cortisol, and some other hormones) all came back normal.

I will talk to my nutritionist about insulin resistance and see what she thinks about changing my macros.
    Thank you for the response!
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Options

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the incidence of PCOS and Hashimoto's does not support the number of people on MFP who claim to have these disorders. Again, I could be wrong but it seems like every time I turn around someone else is posting about how they can't lose weight because they have PCOS. If a physician diagnoses it, fine, but if not... it's just an excuse.

Um, whoa. These are not people on MFP.

The OP stated that she already has Adrenal and Thyroid issues. It's not as simple as cals in cals out for those people.
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options

YES YES YES. This idea that it's all been settled and it's just CICO is very tough for me to fully buy into. The body is an incredibly complex system, and there is a ton of variation among people. Modern medical science is still a very recent and ever-changing field. To think that it's all been completely figured out, and there some extremely simple blueprint seems like an oversimplification. I think different body types/biochemical profiles handle different kinds of macronutrients differently. Much differently, in some cases.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Options
    If you are linking her TDEE calculators you obviously haven't read the thread, she has had many legit tests done to measure her RMR, and its sitting at 2485. She also has a body media fit device.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    If you want opinions you need to open your diary if you dont want assistance leave it closed. Not trying ot be rude as mine is closed but I am not asking for help. A lot of times when one opens their diary we can see reasons why they are not successful
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    if you're not gonna open your diary this is a complete waste of time.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Options
    I really second getting tested for insulin resistance. Re-check your thyroid levels. Also, kudos to you for sticking to it. I can't imagine being in your situation, it must be so frustrating. I'm really proud of you for sticking with it despite the lack of progress. Hang in there, ok?:)
  • goddesskristie
    Options
    OP at this point I am beginning to wonder why you won't open your diary? Multiple people have requested it in order to help you. I'm not trying to be accusatory but what is your reasoning for not wanting to?
    I'm aware that looks suspicous and I have been lurking around for a while so I expected that. The reason I haven't is because I have a fantastic nutritionist who I meet with every two weeks. We go over my diary every time.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    if you're not gonna open your diary this is a complete waste of time.

Yep...this.

Not meaning to be rude, just honest.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. I should've read more before posting
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that looks suspicous and I have been lurking around for a while so I expected that. The reason I haven't is because I have a fantastic nutritionist who I meet with every two weeks. We go over my diary every time.
    What does you going over your diary with your nutritionist have to do with opening it for us to see as well?