Two + Months in, not a pound gone

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for years and am still very overweight. I saw my doctor first and he tested all of my hormones, thyroid, etc and found nothing (I used to have problems with my adrenal glands under functioning, but they are now fine). I got a Bodymedia fit and started using myfitnesspal to track my food. I was carrying a large calorie deficit, but still seeing no results. So, I started seeing a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss and got a personal trainer. I even got a heart rate monitor to be as precise as possible,

My nutritonist had me double my calorie intake and my personal trainer has me doing 45 min of cardio 3 times a week plus two days of resistance training a week. I am now two and a half months into the training and nutritionist and I am still not seeing any results at all. Not a single pound. My nutritionist has been consulting her peers and doctors to be sure she hasn't missed anything and my trainer is a masters student in exercise science with a professor overseeing everything I am doing.

Has anyone seen or experienced something similar to what is happening to me and can shed some light on what is going on?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    open up your diary please
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Exercise=fitness

If you are not losing, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. (inaccurate logging, overestimating exercise calories etc.)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    open up your diary please
    that is the first step, but even that wont tell the full story.

Unless they are certain of the calories going in no way can tell for sure.

THe nutritionist and trainer can do alot to help, but they cannot be around a person 24/7 and control what goes into ones mouth
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary, or give an example of a day's food/drink? In detail. As in how much of what (and all of it), how you measure or determine how much of each item you're eating, and so forth.

For example my lunch was a PB&J sandwich w/ carrots & banana. I weighed the bread, PB&J and banana on a scale to get their weight in grams. The carrots were pre-portioned, and I didn't bother to weigh since they are such a low calorie item. 388 calories For drink, water & diet soda so no calories. (Though I use Crystal Light water flavor and log that under snacks. 10 cal per 2.5 cups of water.)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're eating too much.

It might be that you're calories are set too high (either miscalculated what it should be set at or overestimating exercise calories burned).

OR

It might be that you're not measuring accurately. Make sure you're weighing your food. Measuring by weight > measuring cups >> guesstimating.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If there's nothing medically wrong with you, then you are not eating at a calorie deficit. That's a fact.

Are you measuring your foods properly? Measuring cup for liquids, kitchen scale in grams for solids?

Do you use a lot of estimates?

Do you eat our frequently? Fitness pal does have a huge food database but I guarantee Joe the Cook isn't always measuring his use of butters and oils and other ingredients to the exact specification that the restaurant's website lists. Use the reasonableness standard.

Do you eat back the calories you earn from excise? There are problems with this.
    1. Is it possible you are over-estimating the calories burnt? MYP from my exerience over does it, cut MYP's estimate in half.
    2. IF you are already under-estimating your food calories this creates a double problem if you are also over estimating your burn from exercise.

Open your diary, plenty of people here would love to help out. You might want to consider forgetting everything you thought you knew and start over. Ask questions, people here will help you if you want to be helped.
  • goddesskristie
    Options
    I don't think that opening up my diary will help at all. I started out only eating 1300 calories a day, that's what I naturally eat when I eat what I want and don't try to watch what I'm eating (including dessert). I track every bite by weighing with a food scale or measuring with measuring cups and spoons, I never estimate and I always record what I've eaten before I move from the table,so I don't forget anything. I am very serious and dedicated to my weight loss. I'm not an over eater and I'm not a person who thinks they can fudge the numbers and "no one will know." I measure, I weigh and I record.

The first thing my nutritionist did was start increasing my caloric intake. She looks as my app to see what I've eaten since our last meeting (every two weeks) and tells me where to adjust (more variety, more vegetables, less fat, etc). She worked me up slowly since 1300 is what I was comfortable eating and any more than that felt like over eating and that feels gross. So, now I'm up to 2500 calories a day (total, not net). I burn 2800 on a lazy day and 3000-3200 on most days, according to my BMF. I had a resting metabolic rate test done (the serious one with the cart, not the portable one that is prone to miscalculation) and it is 2345.

So, for me it is not as simple as caloric deficit = weightloss, unfortunately. If that were the case I would have had more than a 1,000 calorie deficit before I started and I am still carrying a deficit of 500 on most days.

Still no weightloss.
  • goddesskristie
    Options
    Oh yeah, I should also mention that the first thing my trainer thought was that I might be gaining muscle and losing fat. She said we could tell if that was happening because my measurements would be changing (I carry a lot of weight around the middle), but they have not changed a cm.
  • JoLMahan
    JoLMahan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    opening up your diary helps others see the types of foods you are eating as well, in addition to how they are being tracked and calculated. You asked for help... that's just what people are trying to do. If you dont want advice, dont ask for it.

Have you had your fasting insulin tested? That would be my next step in testing. It could prove to show signs of pre-diabetes or PCOS.
    I don't think that opening up my diary will help at all. I started out only eating 1300 calories a day, that's what I naturally eat when I eat what I want and don't try to watch what I'm eating (including dessert). I track every bite by weighing with a food scale or measuring with measuring cups and spoons, I never estimate and I always record what I've eaten before I move from the table,so I don't forget anything. I am very serious and dedicated to my weight loss. I'm not an over eater and I'm not a person who thinks they can fudge the numbers and "no one will know." I measure, I weigh and I record.

The first thing my nutritionist did was start increasing my caloric intake. She looks as my app to see what I've eaten since our last meeting (every two weeks) and tells me where to adjust (more variety, more vegetables, less fat, etc). She worked me up slowly since 1300 is what I was comfortable eating and any more than that felt like over eating and that feels gross. So, now I'm up to 2500 calories a day (total, not net). I burn 2800 on a lazy day and 3000-3200 on most days, according to my BMF. I had a resting metabolic rate test done (the serious one with the cart, not the portable one that is prone to miscalculation) and it is 2345.

So, for me it is not as simple as caloric deficit = weightloss, unfortunately. If that were the case I would have had more than a 1,000 calorie deficit before I started and I am still carrying a deficit of 500 on most days.

Still no weightloss.
  • MrsMigginsPieShoppe
    Options
    I burn 2800 on a lazy day and 3000-3200 on most days, according to my BMF. I had a resting metabolic rate test done (the serious one with the cart, not the portable one that is prone to miscalculation) and it is 2345.

[/quote]

Not to be rude but how are you achieving those burn numbers?
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    I have been dieting and exercising for years and am still very overweight. I saw my doctor first and he tested all of my hormones, thyroid, etc and found nothing (I used to have problems with my adrenal glands under functioning, but they are now fine). I got a Bodymedia fit and started using myfitnesspal to track my food. I was carrying a large calorie deficit, but still seeing no results. So, I started seeing a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss and got a personal trainer. I even got a heart rate monitor to be as precise as possible,

My nutritonist had me double my calorie intake and my personal trainer has me doing 45 min of cardio 3 times a week plus two days of resistance training a week. I am now two and a half months into the training and nutritionist and I am still not seeing any results at all. Not a single pound. My nutritionist has been consulting her peers and doctors to be sure she hasn't missed anything and my trainer is a masters student in exercise science with a professor overseeing everything I am doing.

Has anyone seen or experienced something similar to what is happening to me and can shed some light on what is going on?

Jeez, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm in a similar situation, but I haven't gone to the doctor for tests yet. I'm worried that I've done some kind of permanent damage to my metabolic rate or my thyroid or something. I've been dieting and averaging 1800 calories a day for the past 5 weeks, and coupling that with exercise, and haven't dropped a single pound, either. Even if I were to select "Desk Job completely Sedentary" my projected BMR is above that number. The TDEE most people recommend says I should eat at 2032 to lose a pound a week, so I'm in deficit of at least 700/day.

I've lost weight in the past--mainly from doing <1500 cal/ day "clean" eating diets coupled with 6 days/week weightlifting & 40 minute uphill cardio walks. I was trying to do something a little more reasonable this time, but something is just not working for me. I'm worried that my past experiences did some kind of permanent damage. I don't know what I should do, fast or something, to get the weightloss started?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Still no weightloss.
    I hate to say I don't believe you but unfortunately something you are saying cannot be correct. I want to start by saying I am not accusing you of lying at all but something just doesn't add up. For every single person on earth deficit = weight loss. The body cannot conjure energy up from thin air so if you burn 3000 and eat 2500 the body must use something to make up the difference. If your BMR is 2345 (give or take) and you were eating 1300 calories you simply would have lost weight. There just isn't any way around it. Water retention can mask weight loss but not for 2+ months. There isn't even a common medical condition I'm aware of that would prevent weight from coming off if those numbers are accurate. Thyroid problems can make weight loss hard but it does so because it makes your bmr much lower then average. Your bmr is right about where it should be. If we assume your bmr test was at least reasonably accurate then we must deduce that your intake calculation is off. If it isn't then your body is exempt to the laws of thermodynamics that govern the entire universe (in which case I'd call NASA because they will be extremely interested in you).

Using measuring cups and tablespoons for solid foods is going to be less accurate then weighing everything. I was over eating peanut butter by 100 calories a day using a tablespoon for measurement. Multiple that by 7 days and that's 700 calories of my deficit wiped out. Cheat days can also mess EVERYTHING up. If you eat 1300 x 6 days and have a 4000 calorie cheat day once a week its the same as eating around 1700 every day. If you forget to log things that adds up. Going out to eat leaves you completely guessing. Even if the restaurant has nutrition information you can rest assured they are NOT weighing portions out to the gram on a scale. A chef with a heavy hand on the oil or butter can send the calories of a dish skyrocketing. I would again as others have said encourage you to open your diary. It allows us to look for common mistakes that can cause calorie counts to be off.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Still no weightloss.

There are missing puzzle pieces. Weight loss really is a math equation and if you aren't losing, there truly is a miscalculation somewhere. It is possible that upping your calories and starting new exercises can mask a loss temporarily, but it really comes down to a deficit.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Also, you say your resting metabolic rate is 2345, so you're saying you're burning about 850 calories through exercise every day? That's a LOT of exercise. I think your calculations are off; you're overestimating how much you're burning and you're eating too much. That's my opinion.
    If her resting rate is 2345 she doesn't need to burn 850 in exercise. Resting metabolic rate doesn't take into consideration daily activity. RMR is what you body burns just from running itself. Walking around your house, cooking, cleaning, bathing, etc are all not accounted for in RMR. It also doesn't take into account thermic effect of food. So her total expenditure (the 2800-3300 she listed) is RMR + exercise + thermic effect of food+ NEAT (non exercise associated thermogenesis). Not just RMR + exercise.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Read the sexy pants link someone else posted and also...

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    so what do you do, just keep cutting calories by ~100-200, if you're not losing? I'm down now to 1700 cals a day, which is already 300 under what's recommended to lose a pound a week. Should I go down to 1500? I can probably trim at the edges and take another 200 cals, but I'm already going to bed a little hungry at 1700.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If this was ME, I would cut my daily calorie goal by 100 calories and try that for a month. And/or not eat back ALL of my exercise calories, if you are doing that. Re-evaluate the plan after a month. If you're STILL not losing weight, cut calories back AGAIN by 100 (so we're down by 200 from the original goal). Rinse and repeat.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I should also mention that the first thing my trainer thought was that I might be gaining muscle and losing fat. She said we could tell if that was happening because my measurements would be changing (I carry a lot of weight around the middle), but they have not changed a cm.

The first thing I would do is find a new trainer because obviously the one you have got their credentials out of a gumball machine.

The only thing that is ABSOLUTELY required for weight loss to occur is a calorie deficit. If you are not losing weight you are not in a deficit. You are either eating more than you think, burning less than you think, or a combination of both.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I started out only eating 1300 calories a day, that's what I naturally eat when I eat what I want and don't try to watch what I'm eating (including dessert). I'm not an over eater and I'm not a person who thinks they can fudge the numbers and "no one will know." I measure, I weigh and I record.

So I know which numbers work for me, and I have a BMR of just over 2,000. However, my question to you, and this is serious - not judging or anything - but if you only eat 1, 300 calories a day when you aren't watching what you eat and you're not an "over eater" as you say then how the heck did you get to be very over weight?

Simply put - I accept that I used to eat too much of the wrong stuff and had no idea about the proper nutrition my body actually needs. 80% of your results (give or take) will come directly from what you put in your mouth.

There has to be a reason you got to be very overweight as you said - it wasn't by only eat 1,300 calories or by not being an over eater.

EDIT: if your nutritionist has you doubling your caloric intake, that could be an issue too. Increase? Yes. Double? Maybe not . . . . Unless you were only eating 900 calories or something but you've said you aren't eating that low.