Miss Indiana's "normal" body.

Options

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of body you used to see all the time before the wafer thin girls became the norm thanks to magazines. That's how a woman should be (if not maybe a bit curvier).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    She's beautiful. So are the other contestants.

"Bag of bones?" :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of body you used to see all the time before the wafer thin girls became the norm thanks to magazines. That's how a woman should be (if not maybe a bit curvier).

Why don't we let women choose how we "should be" on an individual basis based on each woman's individual goals? Crazy, right?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Why don't we let women choose how we "should be" on an individual basis based on each woman's individual goals? Crazy, right?

snapchat.gif

They all look "normal" to me, whatever that means these days.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yup....hair, face, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, breasts (and other torso parts), abdomen, hips, lady bits, legs, and all the stuff off camera. Perfectly normal. I got a wife with all that too. I should make a thread for her.

(And I know you're all wondering. No, she didn't win either..but she should've!)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Last year people complained that the winner was too thin :huh: , this year too "normal" apparently :huh: .

And this is how I feel about the bag of bones comments: :noway:
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    the only thing that's abnormal here is the competition itself =/ can we stop the skinny-shaming and just all agree that this is just another ridiculous example of the exploitation of the female form?

funny-memes-real-unicorns-have-curves-384x700.jpg
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yup, as suspected, they all look "normal" to me.

Miss_America_McMi4_t607.JPG

Agreed, they were all gorgeous and healthy looking!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for that special kind of body-shaming that MFP does so well.

giphy.gif

Off topic - but when that cat goes ninja on them, there will be no survivors.

If I know Jof, his reaction will be similar, which is why I take comfort in knowing that I was all-state on my high school's hide and seek team.

h30B7BD77
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    She appears to have a fairly high body fat percentage for 119 lbs if she is 5'8", but she is a beautiful woman and appears to me to be at a perfectly healthy weight.

I also disagree with usage of "bag of bones" to describe the other contestants. They all look nice to me.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

If I know Jof, his reaction will be similar, which is why I take comfort in knowing that I was all-state on my high school's hide and seek team.

h30B7BD77

4283538+_3fa6f0f971336558f658023900f8926a.jpg
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Here are the contestants in the first Miss America pageant, held in 1921. It's shocking how much popular views of what is a "normal" attractive woman's body type have changed.

Miss-America-pageant-held-in-1921.jpg
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yup, as suspected, they all look "normal" to me.

Miss_America_McMi4_t607.JPG

Agreed, they were all gorgeous and healthy looking!!

QFT!

They all look healthy and fit. I don't see any "bags of bones" either.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    all agree that this is just another ridiculous example of the exploitation of the female form?

Oops. Reality check.

I don't know if they'll all agree, but I do.

But alas. Here's some science. What a wet blanket.

"When it comes to sexuality and mating, evolutionary psychologists say, men and women often are as different psychologically as they are physically. Scientists have long known that people typically choose mates who closely resemble themselves in terms of weight, height, intelligence and even earlobe length. But a survey of more than 10,000 people in 37 cultures on six continents, conducted by University of Michigan psychologist David Buss, reveals that men consistently value physical attractiveness and youth in a mate more than women do; women. equally as consistently are more concerned than men with a prospective mate’s ambition, status and resources. If such preferences were merely arbitrary products of culture, says Buss, one might expect to find at least one society somewhere where men’s and women’s mating preferences were reversed; the fact that attitudes are uniform across cultures suggests they are a fundamental part of human psychology."

The above is from an article entitled Your Cave or Mine? By William F. Allman (San Francisco Chronicle THIS WORLD section, July 25, 1993, p. 8-10)

Maybe in '93. Age doesn't seem to be as big an issue in 2014.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg
    [img]http://temp_thoughts_resize.s3.amazonaws.com/ce/0b37310bf1decccb005514347b5b70/1295259460_cat-hides-in-box.gif[/img]
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    not sure what the problem is here..

I am 5'7" and 119lbs...she looks quite about that too. She is a little taller than me and I am a little heavier up top...

119lb looks right. And she looks gorgeous.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    WTF is a normal body??
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In...

giphy.gif

h30B7BD77

you-can.jpg
    [img]http://temp_thoughts_resize.s3.amazonaws.com/ce/0b37310bf1decccb005514347b5b70/1295259460_cat-hides-in-box.gif[/img]

078.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif