OPINION ON ATKINS

Options
Atkins diet - Opinions?

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've never done the Atkins diet, I have learnt to eat less and move more and it seems to be working for me and costs me nothing
  • FitnessBellaBarbie
    Options
    Gym and food can get expensive!! : P
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to cut carbs, I wouldn't recommend Atkins.
    My personal opinion is diets like Atkins are fads. You lose weight on them, but once you transition into normal eating habits, you can gain weight back. It's a cycle. The same with products like Advocare, Herbalife, ect.

Calorie deficit and exercise is the motto I go by, and it's worked for me and many others on the websites. Losing weight should be a lifestyle change, and to learn habits to lose weight, and keep it off when you transition to maintenance. Unless you plan on eating Atkins forever, I'd recommend learning moderation, and how to eat the foods you want while reaching your goals.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I work out outside!
    And I coupon for staple items, so I can save money for produce and meat. My food budget is actually pretty tiny, and I eat well!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's been around since the 70s. If it really worked long term, everyone would be eating that way and everyone would be a healthy weight.

For most, it is unsustainable.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

High quality meats are very expensive, though, and if you're going Atkins, that will matter. Or it mattered to me when I did it. Hamburger made me feel crappy and hungry if I ate it very often. I needed high fat steak.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It works for awhile, then you start feeling like total crap until you can't take anymore and binge nonstop on carbs until you gain all the weight back you lost. Other than that it's awesome!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    unnecessary in most cases.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    OP, I just realized you've got a thread reaching out to people with eating disorders in another section. If you have an eating disorder it's time to go see a professional first, then figure out with your own nutritionist what your meal plans should be.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    short time results - yes. You cut out carbs and eat protein and fat. Its not rocket science.

Better to find a more sustainable way of eating for long term though.

Not a lifestyle choice.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Atkins works short term for some people. if you have diabetes in your family cutting out simple carbs can be a good thing. I know people who have lost weight, lowered cholesterol and high blood pressure on Atkins. However, for me it would not work. I need the carbs to fill me up and can't do such a limited diet. My brother had no choice and actually went to the Atkins center which was the first group to figure out his issue. His body uses sugar and creates yeast. He basically had an imbalance with too much yeast in his system. he was really thin and very sick. He can eat no bread, no potatos, carrots sometimes even bother him. They said it was a prediabetes condition. So I can't say Atkins is a bad diet, but every person is different on what they can do.

My daughter is Vegan and for her it is a healthier diet as she was having stomach problems and they are mostly gone now. She loves tofu and tempeh so protein is not a problem.

For me a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies works best. Frozen vegetables are a good choice and can be less expensive than fresh in many cases. Atkins will not save you money because meat is pricey.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    A friend lost 60pds on Atkins. When she started eating regular food,she gained over 70 pds.It's all in
    how you plan to keep it off.
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, and I never would. But generally reducing your carb intake is not a bad idea, especially if you're mainly eating foods made with a lot of sugar or white flour. I think anything you plan on doing short term will produce short term results. If you focus on eating unprocessed, whole foods for the most part, and exercise, you will feel good.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun,

I tried Atkins a couple of years ago, but had to quit after 3 months because it made me feel terrible. To start with I thought it was great, and I lost weight quickly. But then weight loss decreased, it got very expensive, I had no energy as wasn't eating carbs, I had issues with digestion and constipation, and it gave me constant dry mouth and bad breath. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I am still careful about carbs, and don't overload, but I tend to eat fruit and wholemeal bread rather than pasta, rice, potato etc

Hope helps x
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The issue is that most people who try Atkins don't make it to the phase where carbs are reintroduced. It's interesting because at first it's kind of awesome to eat all the bacon, etc you want. But then after a while you crave carbs like your life depends on it. Then you get sick of eating meat. Then typically you binge on carbs and fall off the wagon.

I was on it for a year or so when I was a teenager. Didn't really work for me. Why? Because at the end of the day my body was not in a caloric deficit. Diets like Atkins only mask the fact that you are in a caloric deficit.

Besides specific situations (like diabetes) where a medical professional advises you to remove carbs/sugar completely I wouldn't recommend it. That doesn't mean you can't try it or that you should even listen to me at all :laugh:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    OP, I just realized you've got a thread reaching out to people with eating disorders in another section. If you have an eating disorder it's time to go see a professional first, then figure out with your own nutritionist what your meal plans should be.

OP, ditto this. Please reach out to your doctor - find someone who can help you with your eating disorders. You are a lovely girl - take care of yourself and get the help you need
  • RefilweMofoka
    RefilweMofoka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I tried it out for a week and it was a week from hell. I did lose 1kg in that week but it wasn't worth the fatigue and mood swings. 20g of carbs a day (induction) isn't healthy in my opinion.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Indeed! Luckily, you don't need a gym to lose weight :)
  • nezbit88
    nezbit88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ..is there a error in this site? I hit reply and it exits the page?....anyway..

I have never followed for been fully aware of what the Atkins diet is, I am assuming it it cutting pretty well all carbs? I have done this to a certain degree a couple of times and lost weight quite quickly. It's not easy though, as someone with no sweet tooth I crave salt and carbs!

Lately I cut out instant noodles/packet sauce pasta/bread/potatoes/chips/rice etc however whenever I crave salty chippy goodness I eat popcorn. About a teaspoon of oil and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt for two cups of popcorn it completely gets ride of the cravings (although still containing carbs it's a lighter snack overall).

Obviously this is self popped stuff not the buttery bags.

Anyway I am no shining example of weight loss I just know what works for me.