In 5 weeks you'll lose 10lbs... why is it not working?

Options

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    So if I'm 174.4 pounds @ 5'3 and I want to lose 40-50 lbs. How many calories do I need to have a day to lose this weight. Quicker the better. I'm moderately active at the moment.

Put your stats into MFP and it'll give you a daily calorie goal. 'The quicker the better' is actually not true- those that lose weight fast tend to gain it all back as soon as they stop 'dieting' and hit their goal weight. You need to lose at an appropriate weight (usually 1% of your bodyweight is a good rule of thumb) so that you aren't losing too much LBM (Lean body mass). If your deficit is too aggressive you will loose LBM alongside fat, which can lead to health problems.
    The people that are most successful with losing weight and keeping it off are those that develop healthy/better eating habits- that's not going to happen if you crash diet :) I'd suggest taking a look at the 'success stories' thread to see how other people have done it :)
  • dcvegan
    dcvegan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reality check. MFP did that to me, and I increased my calorie expectation to 1800 because no way am I going to 1200 regardless. Focus is better food choices and more activity.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love this post!

I think it's also important to point out that, in the beginning, it's normal to shed pounds really quickly - water weight/other factors (like, I was a soda addict) - but that will slow in a week or two and you can't quit because of it. I was all "yeah, I kick A*S at this" and realized that that first 15 pounds was like a present - and you only get that present once. The rest is coming off slowly, but that's the way it should be.

This is exactly what I needed to hear^

I had the feeling this would be the case. I've only been here a week and am still learning so much. This is a really great thread so far.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What a fantastically helpful post, OP! Thank you!!!
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 lbs since Jan 23 eating 1150-1200 calories and I got my diet info of what to eat from a dietitian. the only thing I have changed is eating only whole grain products; snacks, bread. I eat lots of veggies and fruit and chicken. I have an under active thyroid so losing weight is very hard for me. I am currently not exercising as i have a foot injury. I have made life style changes and for me this is not a diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Very old post, but useful. Giving it a bump.
  • eatmorepaleo5
    eatmorepaleo5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!!!
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Very old post, but useful. Giving it a bump.

You're awesome! Thanks for the love! ❤
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    tumblr_lf3gf8kqZ11qeomz1.gif

An old gif to bump an old thread.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dang, I so needed to hear this right now. Especially the part about draining your daily deficit! At 5'0ft tall, I can not afford this habit anymore! THANK YOU.
  • hmdps
    hmdps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have been following the benchmark of 1200 calories, walk upto 5 kms, going nowhere. 17 days and no result.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    hmdps wrote: »
    Have been following the benchmark of 1200 calories, walk upto 5 kms, going nowhere. 17 days and no result.

What are your stats? (age, height, weight, # pounds to lose). Are you weighing and logging everything you eat? That may help some with trying to see what's going on.

Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • cvaughan02
    cvaughan02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Hasn't been bumped in a while.

giphy.gif
  • ChampagneBurst
    ChampagneBurst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Umm.

As a woman on the much shorter end of the scale (I'm 5'1) It's actually perfectly ok for me to dip below 1200 calories for me. Doctor and nutritionist advocated in my case even. I'm badly injured and gained 20kg from being so much less active and from ivf. I was eating only about 1400-1500 a day.

The lowest I can go intake wise is 900. But it's more important to make sure I'm still getting enough protein and that I can still get in 3-4 hours of cardio and half again of strength a week.

I think the figures here in Australia must be based on different research.

I think that it's not always clever to assume that there are blanket rules that are going to apply to everyone.

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,568 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Umm.

As a woman on the much shorter end of the scale (I'm 5'1) It's actually perfectly ok for me to dip below 1200 calories for me. Doctor and nutritionist advocated in my case even. I'm badly injured and gained 20kg from being so much less active and from ivf. I was eating only about 1400-1500 a day.

The lowest I can go intake wise is 900. But it's more important to make sure I'm still getting enough protein and that I can still get in 3-4 hours of cardio and half again of strength a week.

I think the figures here in Australia must be based on different research.

I think that it's not always clever to assume that there are blanket rules that are going to apply to everyone.

Unfortunately, MFP is coded around the 1200 cal minimum idea, so if someone chooses to use their lose x pounds calculation, it really won't work in that case.

I'm glad that you had the help of your physician and nutritionist, and have found what works for you. A lot of people don't do that, and as a result, get frustrated.

These websites are very similar to one-size fits all clothing... It doesn't actually always fit everyone.

That said, it's good to know how the code works, so that you can adjust to make it work for you!
  • CrazyCoffeeQueen64
    CrazyCoffeeQueen64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just read this. Very useful article.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Excellent article and very well explained.
    The truth is.
    We are ALL DIFFERENT!
    For that reason there are variables!
    LOTS OF VARIABLES :o

As we go along, you adjust, tweak, learn, fail, succeed and grow.
    But whatever you do.....
    YOU JUST KEEP PUSHING
    This journey never, ever stops.