How many miles a day should I walk to make a difference?

Options
So, I used to run about... 2-3 miles a day. I got distracted with work and everything that I stopped for a while (Few months). But I somehow OBTAINED asthma this year, and can't run hardly at all anymore. So I want to at least WALK a while everyday to get some good exercise in for my legs. How many miles would start to make, or make, a difference?
Info if you need to know:
18yrs
5"4
147 lbs
I drink about.... 6 oz of water or vitamin water a day
I eat about 900-1400 calories a day (Depends on the day)
I do a little bit of home workouts as it is (Still haven't lost weight or even clothing sizes) (every other day)
30 sit ups
70 crunches
40 leg lifts
50 second plank. Twice (One for each version)
50 squats
40 lunges
50 second side plank (each side)
I add about... 5-10 (Depending on the difficulty) a day, to each exercise.
Not making a difference!
So I'm gonna walk too. Help?! Thanks!
(Yes. You all hate me because I have so many excuses. But I try. This was a simple question. You don't have to get mad. I'm really just asking for the miles. At least I'm not one of those 500 lb people who say they don't feel like getting up so they wont exercise. I exercise. No excuses there. I just don't eat as much as I'm supposed to. Would you like to HEAR all my excuses? Let's see:I have asthma. I'm allergic to chickpeas and peanuts (peanut butter). I try to stay away from gluten. I'm vegan. I don't eat fast food, or bagels, or pizza, or popcorn. I don't drink soda's. I can't afford much, as I have no job yet. I don't LIKE beans, or certain nuts, certain veggies, certain fruits, etc. I don't have much time because I'm because feeding my animals, volunteering at my friends vet, keeping my moms house clean (has 8 messy *kitten* people in it), studying to get into college, keeping the yards (all three of them) watered, making sure my siblings and niece and nephew have their homework done and are fed. That's all that I can think of FOR NOW. Happy?)

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have asthma, and just placed second in my division in a triathlon this weekend. talk to your doctor and learn to manage your condition.

walk as many miles as you can.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    i have asthma, and just placed second in my division in a triathlon this weekend. talk to your doctor and learn to manage your condition.

This. And you're not eating enough.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

Well I know some asthmatics CAN run. But my doctor said I'm not ALLOWED to run. Not for another, like, 6 months, until I'm used to the breathing and everything. Something along those lines.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have exercised induced asthma and the more I run the better it gets. Work with your doctor.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    about 1/2 of what you run... so if yo walk a mile... run two (or jog) ...an dYES there is a difference between a runner and a jogger... by about 3-4 MPH :laugh:
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Well I know some asthmatics CAN run. But my doctor said I'm not ALLOWED to run. Not for another, like, 6 months, until I'm used to the breathing and everything. Something along those lines.

yeah, my doctor told me the same thing. i told him that the only way i would get used to breathing while running would be to go running.
  • DidntYaKnow
    DidntYaKnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    about 1/2 of what you run... so if yo walk a mile... run two (or jog) ...an dYES there is a difference between a runner and a jogger... by about 3-4 MPH :laugh:

LOL sadly most of the joggers I see are only going like 4.5MPH so that's only like 1MPH faster than walking.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

yeah, my doctor told me the same thing. i told him that the only way i would get used to breathing while running would be to go running.
    That is a good point. But if I get overstimulated or out of breath from running I tend to pass out. That's when he told me to wait it out.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.

Then either change your lifestyle or stop making excuses.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

/facepalm
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'd try to start with 2 but work your way up to 5.

Generally count 100 calories per mile.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

How am I making excuses just because I can't afford to eat more than 1200-1400 calories a day?
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I'd try to start with 2 but work your way up to 5.

Generally count 100 calories per mile.
    THANK YOU. Someone who actually answered the question. I can do that. :) Much appreciated.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

How am I making excuses just because I can't afford to eat more than 1200-1400 calories a day?

That's like my friend who says "I can't go on a diet because I can't afford the food". If you can't afford to take care of your body, change your lifestyle.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

That is a good point. But if I get overstimulated or out of breath from running I tend to pass out. That's when he told me to wait it out.

actually, i'm wrong. i wasn't running back then. i was cycling. found it easier to get cardio in while also not overly exerting my lungs. running came afterwards.
  • WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You need to eat more. Your BMR is about 1475 (amount to eat if you did absolutely nothing), and about 2450 for your TDEE. Yeah, they are estimates, but 900 cals just isn't enough. My guess is that you could eat about 1900-2000 cals a day and lose half a pound a week.

As for walking, once you have your diet aligned, walk as much as you feel comfortable doing. :wink:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Cans of chickpeas. $7 for 8 cans. Each can contains 420 calories. That's under $2.50/day for 1200 calories/day and they're high in protein, an area vegans have trouble with. You can buy rice for cheap, too, and augment with whatever fruits/vegetables happen to be on sale the day you visit.

There's a reason rice and beans is a daily staple in many countries.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

That's like my friend who says "I can't go on a diet because I can't afford the food". If you can't afford to take care of your body, change your lifestyle.
    I'm not going to start eating meat and/or dairy, causing more animals to suffer, for the sake of my body, just because it's affordable. Sorry.