How many miles a day should I walk to make a difference?

Options

Replies

• AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I started out walking 1 mile for a half hour on my lunch, and over 6 months that became 6 mile hikes. You will see results for sure based on the activity you put in. I had to ramp up my knees, hips, joints and lungs but over time you will crave more and longer distances. Just get out there, put your feet on the ground and enjoy the trail - the fitness trackers help too because you can see how you've progressed over time. Good luck!
    Thank you very much. I'll definitely do that. Much appreciated!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You should focus on getting your diet together before focusing on walking a certain amount of miles. You wouldn't be fueling your body with enough energy to sustain a lot of exercise. You will be sluggish, even as a vegan eating fruits, veggies and soup. Eat more whole grains. Almond butter and jelly sandwiches with your soup. One jar of almond butter maybe be pricey to you, but it will last a good month. For some.
    Thank you. I'll try that. And thanks for not getting all mad like the other people on here. Haha.

It does little good to get mad at a misinformed, excuse making teenager. Your posts illicited rational responses which you then interpreted as people being "mad" when the reality is people gave you advice and insight.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So, I used to run about... 2-3 miles a day. I got distracted with work and everything that I stopped for a while (Few months). But I somehow OBTAINED asthma this year, and can't run hardly at all anymore. So I want to at least WALK a while everyday to get some good exercise in for my legs. How many miles would start to make, or make, a difference?
    Info if you need to know:
    18yrs
    5"4
    147 lbs
    I eat about 900-1400 calories a day (Depends on the day)
    I do a little bit of home workouts as it is (Still haven't lost weight or even clothing sizes) (every other day)
    30 sit ups
    70 crunches
    40 leg lifts
    50 second plank. Twice (One for each version)
    50 squats
    40 lunges
    50 second side plank (each side)
    I add about... 5-10 (Depending on the difficulty) a day, to each exercise.
    Not making a difference!
    So I'm gonna walk too. Help?! Thanks!

I have asthma as well so can relate. I do not run but aim for 10,000 steps per day walking often including a higher intensity walk. That works out to almost 4 miles for me. That is my bare minimum daily exercise goal. I recommend using a pedometer. There are several apps (eg. Runtastic, Map My Walk) that will help you in your walking goals. Looking at your exercises, I would add a bit of cardio and weights. I'm restricted with what weights I can do but routinely use a 10 lb kettlebell and 3 lb dumbbells in addition to weight machines when possible. Both kettlebells and dumbbells are inexpensive and can be used at home. There are free apps that will help you with the exercises. I also use a resistance band which is another inexpensive piece of home gym equipment. There are also free videos on YouTube to kick up your exercise routine a bit. I also use an elliptical trainer and walking stairs without triggering my asthma but these may be something you want to wait on doing until your asthma is under control. Both cycling and swimming are good exercises if you have asthma.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I'm on here for help, **** any excuses I have, I was simply on here for a simple question: How many miles should I walk a day?
    And you are getting pissy and putting me down because I don't EAT enough? I know eating makes a difference. Believe me. Then help me out, don't flip your ****. Okay? Thanks! And to the people who ACTUALLY helped me without being a total ***** about it. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    1 mile running nets approximately .63 calories per pound. 1 mile walking nets approximately .3 calories per pound. If you ran 3 miles, you need to walk over 6 to burn the same number of calories.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You need to walk about 21 miles per week for weight loss. Or about 3 miles a day. I used to walk an hour after work each day and then a long walk one day on the weekend to get the miles in.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I'm on here for help, **** any excuses I have, I was simply on here for a simple question: How many miles should I walk a day?
    And you are getting pissy and putting me down because I don't EAT enough? I know eating makes a difference. Believe me. Then help me out, don't flip your ****. Okay? Thanks! And to the people who ACTUALLY helped me without being a total ***** about it. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Since you fail to properly fuel your body the distance you can walk is limited. No amount of excuses on your part changes basic physics.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    So, I used to run about... 2-3 miles a day. I got distracted with work and everything that I stopped for a while (Few months). But I somehow OBTAINED asthma this year, and can't run hardly at all anymore. So I want to at least WALK a while everyday to get some good exercise in for my legs. How many miles would start to make, or make, a difference?
    Info if you need to know:
    18yrs
    5"4
    147 lbs
    I eat about 900-1400 calories a day (Depends on the day)
    I do a little bit of home workouts as it is (Still haven't lost weight or even clothing sizes) (every other day)
    30 sit ups
    70 crunches
    40 leg lifts
    50 second plank. Twice (One for each version)
    50 squats
    40 lunges
    50 second side plank (each side)
    I add about... 5-10 (Depending on the difficulty) a day, to each exercise.
    Not making a difference!
    So I'm gonna walk too. Help?! Thanks!

I have asthma as well so can relate. I do not run but aim for 10,000 steps per day walking often including a higher intensity walk. That works out to almost 4 miles for me. That is my bare minimum daily exercise goal. I recommend using a pedometer. There are several apps (eg. Runtastic, Map My Walk) that will help you in your walking goals. Looking at your exercises, I would add a bit of cardio and weights. I'm restricted with what weights I can do but routinely use a 10 lb kettlebell and 3 lb dumbbells in addition to weight machines when possible. Both kettlebells and dumbbells are inexpensive and can be used at home. There are free apps that will help you with the exercises. I also use a resistance band which is another inexpensive piece of home gym equipment. There are also free videos on YouTube to kick up your exercise routine a bit. I also use an elliptical trainer and walking stairs without triggering my asthma but these may be something you want to wait on doing until your asthma is under control. Both cycling and swimming are good exercises if you have asthma.
    Thank you. I don't have any typical gym equipment, but I never thought swimming could help with asthma. That's great. Thank you. I'm going to try to get some ACTUAL training equipment. This really helped. Thanks. :)
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely convinced that all your "allergies" are actually allergies as opposed to dislikes. That being said, what do you actually eat in a given day if you don't do meat,cheese,dairy,fried,beans,chick peas, oils, etc? Give us a sampling of your day.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    1 mile running nets approximately .63 calories per pound. 1 mile walking nets approximately .3 calories per pound. If you ran 3 miles, you need to walk over 6 to burn the same number of calories.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You should focus on getting your diet together before focusing on walking a certain amount of miles. You wouldn't be fueling your body with enough energy to sustain a lot of exercise. You will be sluggish, even as a vegan eating fruits, veggies and soup. Eat more whole grains. Almond butter and jelly sandwiches with your soup. One jar of almond butter maybe be pricey to you, but it will last a good month. For some.
    Thank you. I'll try that. And thanks for not getting all mad like the other people on here. Haha.

Someone's mad? WHERE?
    Oh, gee, I wonder.

Honestly I do not think that they are mad or trying to be mean at all. They are only trying to help you. The thing is you say your a vegan, however you do not live the vegan lifestyle as a vegan should. I am not vegan, but I do a lot of research on it and learned a lot from my friend who is. While being a vegan, you should also make sure your are taking B12 supplements, eating lots of whole grains. Whole grains give you a ton of protein through out the day. You cannot be that frugal to where you are a vegan and cannot by the right foods to sustain the lifestyle.

There are plenty of soy yogurts, cheeses and milks that you can eat with fortified cereals. Post raisin bran gives you 100% of daily vitamins needed. Special K protein gives you 10 g of protein per serving. Mix beans into brown rice bowls with tons of veggies. Eat lentil sloppy joes. Be creative with it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You need to walk about 21 miles per week for weight loss. Or about 3 miles a day. I used to walk an hour after work each day and then a long walk one day on the weekend to get the miles in.

that is a very specific number without taking any other information of her's into account, like her height and weight. what magical hat did you pull 21 miles a week out of??
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely convinced that all your "allergies" are actually allergies as opposed to dislikes. That being said, what do you actually eat in a given day if you don't do meat,cheese,dairy,fried,beans,chick peas, oils, etc? Give us a sampling of your day.

^^^Yes please.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I eat things with oil in them, just not anything with TOO MUCH oil.
    Well... Last I checked, I thought when eating something allergic, it tends to close ones throat up, or, if its a slight allergy, at the least make your throat itch and it get a LITTLE hard to breath. But I could be wrong? I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, raisin bran cereal with plain soy milk, with strawberries and banana's in it, I eat canned fruits in juice, canned vegan soups, rice (when it's made), quinoa. Not much else. I just don't eat any of it in the portion everyone would like me to eat it in. I conserve because food goes fast in my house and I don't have a job, let alone hardly any money to buy more very soon.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    I started running after starting my own walking program. I know nothing about asthma or how you need to deal with that walking or running, but you could adapt as needed. I committed to time instead of miles.....20 minutes per day when I first started......rain, shine, wind, snow. 10 minutes out, 10 minutes back. Give it two weeks and you will want to add more time and you will pick up the pace naturally. I personally listen to music when I go.....if you are into that, put 20 minutes on the play list and walk it out.

Anything is better than nothing and the consistency may help you work out the breathing with your asthma by ramping it up gradually.

Good luck!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Just curious, is your profile picture a recent picture of you?

If so, what makes you think you need to lose 17 pounds? (I checked out your profile page)
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories.
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.

Then either change your lifestyle or stop making excuses.
    How am I making excuses just because I can't afford to eat more than 1200-1400 calories a day?

As an ex-vegan I can say it's very easy to get fat, even eating a low-fat vegan diet. So you can definitely get lots of calories, especially from whole grains and soy products, since soy is the fattiest of the beans. And raisins pack a lot of calories. You can make a simple and cheap trail mix from peanuts and raisins to carry around with you. Add some sunflower seeds if you want. Buy in bulk when you can.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat things with oil in them, just not anything with TOO MUCH oil.
    Well... Last I checked, I thought when eating something allergic, it tends to close ones throat up, or, if its a slight allergy, at the least make your throat itch and it get a LITTLE hard to breath. But I could be wrong? I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, raisin bran cereal with plain soy milk, with strawberries and banana's in it, I eat canned fruits in juice, canned vegan soups, rice (when it's made), quinoa. Not much else. I just don't eat any of it in the portion everyone would like me to eat it in. I conserve because food goes fast in my house and I don't have a job, let alone hardly any money to buy more very soon.

Its better to get tested for food allergies by a doctor than to just make assumptions. There are no "slight" allergies. Either your allergic or you're not. But if you aren't willing to attempt to execute anyone's given advice, there's not much more anyone can do here.

Make a pot of rice on sunday, label it yours. If you're 18 and you live at home with your family, you either eat what they have available or you make the appropriate decisions to achieve your goals. Since you are 18 with zero experience, you are considered cheap labor - restaurants, retail and fast food joints would hire you in a heart beat. Pick up a part time job, make some cash - buy your own vegan food. If your mom won't let you use the stove, form an agreement with her or get the hell out of the house.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

Someone's mad? WHERE?
    Oh, gee, I wonder.

Honestly I do not think that they are mad or trying to be mean at all. They are only trying to help you. The thing is you say your a vegan, however you do not live the vegan lifestyle as a vegan should. I am not vegan, but I do a lot of research on it and learned a lot from my friend who is. While being a vegan, you should also make sure your are taking B12 supplements, eating lots of whole grains. Whole grains give you a ton of protein through out the day. You cannot be that frugal to wear you are a vegan and cannot by the right foods to sustain the lifestyle.

There are plenty of soy yogurts, cheeses and milks that you can eat with fortified cereals. Post raisin bran gives you 100% of daily vitamins needed. Special K protein gives you 10 g of protein per serving. Mix beans into brown rice bowls with tons of veggies. Eat lentil sloppy joes. Be creative with it.
    Well some are calling me a troll, soo.. I dunno.
    I do eat raisin bran with soy milk and fruit and nuts in the mornings quite a bit. I used to eat oatmeal, but got sick of it after 2 months of daily bowls of oatmeal (I know. More excuses..), I eat rice when its made (Vegetable fried rice is amazing). I joined a site called caloriecount or caloriecounter so I can keep track of everything, calories, vitamins, protein, etc. Everything. But no matter what I do, I seem to over eat, or not eat enough. Haha. Really hard to be vegan, healthy, and in shape when I'm, as everyone is having fun pointing out, an idiot when it comes to certain things, make excuses, and have little to no money.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    Thank you :)