How many miles a day should I walk to make a difference?

Options

Replies

• AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    Vegan here.

Peanut butter!! Eat it.
    nuts, seeds
    avocado
    coconut
    healthy fats :)
    Sadly allergic to peanut butter x-x I DO eat lots of avocado though! And nuts. Can't afford coconut. Haha. But thank you!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories.
    I'm vegan. Not much out there that I can afford. Hard to avoid dairy and meat. It's everywhere I go. I try though.

Excuses! There are so many things you can eat as a vegan to reach 1200 calories. My friend is vegan and she eats a hell of a lot of food. You can easily eat that much or more. Beans, veggie sandwiches (calorie dense bread), potatoes and rice (all high in calories), quesadillas, wraps, tacos, pastas....There are a ton of cheap high calorie vegan meals you can make.
    Fair enough point. I don't really cook though. Not much time. And I don't eat fast food. EVER. So I usually just make a salad or fruit salad real quick, or grab a can of vegan soup from my pantry.

Wow, you just have all the odds against you, huh?
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    I'd think it'd be far cheaper to eat lentils, grains and beans from a than meat.

A dry pound of pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, lentils, peas, bean soup, and most grains like rice, quinoa etc etc cooks up to over 7 one cup servings, and that runs $1/per dry pound.
    Never really thought about beans. Thanks.

:huh: You are vegan and never thought about beans??????? It is one of the main sources of protein for vegans.
    Pretty much. I know I probably sound pretty dumb on here, haha, but I'm kind of a picky eater. Don't really like beans so they stay off my mind.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I've never heard so many excuses in my life. I know plenty of vegans who get enough fat and protein in their diet and don't break the bank to do it. Food isn't sold by the calorie.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    And I do eat rice quite a bit, but it really heats up my house to cook, so I can't make it often.

Make a large batch one day a week and heat up the leftovers in the mircowave the rest of the week.

Yeah I'll try that, thanks!
  • charlottedutton
    Options
    u don't have to change your values or starve. tinned kidney beans are really cheap and make nice vegan chilli or puree them make nice high protein mash. u cud post cheap vegan food question in another forum if u cant afford much. get a run tracking app n start brisk walk it will give u all the stats then go from there.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    u don't have to change your values or starve. tinned kidney beans are really cheap and make nice vegan chilli or puree them make nice high protein mash. u cud post cheap vegan food question in another forum if u cant afford much. get a run tracking app n start brisk walk it will give u all the stats then go from there.
    Thank you :) Very helpful! I'll do that!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Vegan here.

Peanut butter!! Eat it.
    nuts, seeds
    avocado
    coconut
    healthy fats :)

you can make a baked potato/sweet potato in the microwave

bananas are about as cheap as you can get
    my favorite way to eat them is in banana nice cream
    also called banana soft serve
    great in the summer!

^^ RIGHT ON!

Geez all those sound so good... and now that I'm not low-carbing it... it's ON!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'd think it'd be far cheaper to eat lentils, grains and beans from a than meat.

A dry pound of pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, lentils, peas, bean soup, and most grains like rice, quinoa etc etc cooks up to over 7 one cup servings, and that runs $1/per dry pound.

:huh: You are vegan and never thought about beans??????? It is one of the main sources of protein for vegans.

vegan, you're doing it wrong.

and there is nothing wrong with deep frying things. especially if you are cooking the right way. you don't have to drown the fries in oil. and use a proper healthy oil, like canola. do NOT deep fry in olive oil.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You should focus on getting your diet together before focusing on walking a certain amount of miles. You wouldn't be fueling your body with enough energy to sustain a lot of exercise. You will be sluggish, even as a vegan eating fruits, veggies and soup. Eat more whole grains. Almond butter and jelly sandwiches with your soup. One jar of almond butter maybe be pricey to you, but it will last a good month. For some.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she is just a troll on here at this point. No one makes that many excuses and if you say you were only eating what you said you wouldnt have to worry about losing weight. So either you are lying about pretty much everything or you are a troll to the nth power...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    never mind
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she is just a troll on here at this point. No one makes that many excuses and if you say you were only eating what you said you wouldnt have to worry about losing weight. So either you are lying about pretty much everything or you are a troll to the nth power...

Quoted because Dean.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Experts recommend that we ALL get 10,000 steps a day. It takes approximately 2000 steps to reach a mile. So ... 5 miles a day sounds great to me! :smile:
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

vegan, you're doing it wrong.

and there is nothing wrong with deep frying things. especially if you are cooking the right way. you don't have to drown the fries in oil. and use a proper healthy oil, like canola. do NOT deep fry in olive oil.
    Well anything even slightly too oily gives me acne. And I'm not a big fan of eating anything greasy anyway, so I stay away from it.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    You should focus on getting your diet together before focusing on walking a certain amount of miles. You wouldn't be fueling your body with enough energy to sustain a lot of exercise. You will be sluggish, even as a vegan eating fruits, veggies and soup. Eat more whole grains. Almond butter and jelly sandwiches with your soup. One jar of almond butter maybe be pricey to you, but it will last a good month. For some.
    Thank you. I'll try that. And thanks for not getting all mad like the other people on here. Haha.
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try that. And thanks for not getting all mad like the other people on here. Haha.

Someone's mad? WHERE?
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options
    None of the above, thank you very much.
  • AnonymousGoofball
    Options

Someone's mad? WHERE?
    Oh, gee, I wonder.
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started out walking 1 mile for a half hour on my lunch, and over 6 months that became 6 mile hikes. You will see results for sure based on the activity you put in. I had to ramp up my knees, hips, joints and lungs but over time you will crave more and longer distances. Just get out there, put your feet on the ground and enjoy the trail - the fitness trackers help too because you can see how you've progressed over time and they can help keep you motivated. Good luck!